Any good jrpg ?

DG420

Im looking for some translated jrpg with actually good game mechanics i remember i played kamidori alchemy and it had pretty good and intresting combat and some fun build you could do ect

So im looking for some fully english translated jrpg with plenty of cg scenes ;) and some good game mechanics plenty of skills so you actually have some builds you can go for

Good plot is a + but its fine with as long as there is plenty of dialoge 

Fully english translated only so no interface only patches :P 

hmm, theres the rance series. i started with sengoku rance without playing the others and while there are references to othe rance games, you dont need to play them to know whats going on. keep in mind that rance is.... unique main character. hes very one minded and usually nothing stands in his way of his goal... sex. just take it as comical and you may be able to tolerate him.

https://vndb.org/v487

next one i can think of is yumina the ethereal. love the game. dungeon crawler, turn based combat. the combat is unique in that you basically share mp with enemies.

https://vndb.org/v1155

Though Sengoku Rance is not offically TLed yet , i'd play Rance VI if you're interested in the series. 

I'm currently playing Evenicle and it's very good. 

I also tried Tears to Tiara too, which is a nice option too. 

Yumina the eternal is a good choice as well , hard to get used tough. 

As for the recommendations here, I agree that Evenicle should be a good choice as well. Other than Evenicle, since some of the recommendations mentioned Yumina might as well recommend both of Eien no Aselia and Seinarukana, although the former didn't have sex scenes though if you care about that. Also if you're into gender bended historical figure, then I would recommend Eiyuu Senki as well. I hope that my recommendations will be helpful to you there.

3 hours ago, Benji Price said:

Though Sengoku Rance is not offically TLed yet , i'd play Rance VI if you're interested in the series.

Apparently it was translated and edited back in April, yet not released yet. Either they announce it at AX at the panel tomorrow or they wait for Rance Quest in order to release both at the same time. The latter is translated and 84% edited. Reaching a non-bad end will (or can) grant you points, which you can then use to to select startup bonuses whenever you start a new game and the official release will likely not read the bonuses from the fan translation. In other words starting on the fan translation now is likely a really bad idea.

I would recommend playing the Rance games in order as characters introduced in one VN will appear in multiple later titles without much of a background story, instead they talk like you already know what happened earlier. You can start anywhere, but there are scenes some scenes where you miss what they are talking about if you play them out of order. Sadly the first 3 Rance games lack an official translation (the introduction of a lot of characters and background story). We are still waiting for official releases of the remakes, which came out after the fan translations. In other words the only English available start of Rance came out in 1989-91 and the technical quality is accordingly, not to mention the remakes have disk space for a lot more text (there is a claim of 10 times as much, but I can't verify that claim).

I can't really recommend anything, which haven't been mentioned already. When asking for Kamidori like releases in English, I would say Tears to Tiara is likely the closest, though they aren't close enough to be called similar. Kamidori is rather unique.

As for first three translated Rance game, actually the second game here use the remake instead of 1990 version. But yeah graphically speaking both of Rance 1 and 3 is already obsolete, and the 4th Rance is still not have the remake yet. If you're curious of whether the remake did have 10 time disk space compared to the original version is true or not, it's not because the graphic for original version and remake version is vastly different and if you take account into the hardware development, you'll know that the HDD size for computer would keep growing in short time span. For comparison, we have Rance 2 original version was at around 2 MB while the remake version was at 500 MB.

To OP here, if you interested with Sengoku feel free to play fan translation version if you can't wait for the official version and didn't plan to play Rance continuously. But you can still understand most of the game though even if you didn't play Rance from the very beginning, but if you play previous Rance then you'll be understand more about the cameo in Sengoku. In the end, whether if you want to wait for Sengoku official localization or not I leave it to you.

1 hour ago, littleshogun said:

As for first three translated Rance game, actually the second game here use the remake instead of 1990 version.

I know, but it makes little difference. It's just an update on graphics and audio while the new remake adds contents in addition to another graphical update.

1 hour ago, littleshogun said:

If you're curious of whether the remake did have 10 time disk space compared to the original version is true or not

I was referring to the amount of text, not the total size. Back in those days 720 Kb and 1440 kB (1.4 MB) disks were in use. Rance 1 was distributed on 4 disks (though VNDB doesn't tell which kind), which gives an indication of the size of the game. You did not want to add the production cost of an additional disk if you could avoid it and one way to keep the size down was to cut unneeded text. VNs back then simply didn't have the disk space available to have text enough to reach a normal length of modern standards. The remakes doesn't have this limitation and is claimed to have added everything they cut for size reasons or just feel like adding now that they know they can. For comparison Musumaker would require 6 disks just for the script files alone.

Graphics obviously got a lot bigger since it's more pixels and more bits for each pixel. However that has nothing to do with script length, though you could argue that more text would likely require more graphics. It still has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

This is getting off topic. The point is that it would be best to start the Rance series with Rance 1, but the remake isn't translated. That should be enough for the recommendation thread.

• 2 weeks later...