Maitetsu VN Discussion (Released at June 29th)

littleshogun

Guess I'll try to see of how much the censorship affecting the VN itself, although with sex content placed separately I guess the story shouldn't affected too much from the censorship (Hopefully). I rather talk about the story here to tell the truth, but I see the point that Sekai need to fix about this if possible.

Edited by littleshogun

1 hour ago, Nier said:

That's exactly what happened with ChronoClock:

https://vndb.org/r56244

And that's even after Sekai Project re-released the game a second time (original release was in February 2017, re-release was in August 2017), so that's a 3rd unofficial release. And from what that anon is saying, the game is still not perfect, as he only fixed the most glaring issues.

You mean he fixed issues that were not issues and made it even worse???

I just got a refund for my copy. To me personally, this is a matter of principle. I have had bad experiences with Sekai Project in the past, but chose to buy this game either way, with the thought: "hopefully this one will be handled well, at least," much like Dovac himself. (See this)

It sadly wasn't. People make mistakes, yes, and if this had been their first big mistake, I would have given them a chance to make up for it, but ... well, there is a reason why the document above has five different apologies, not just one.

In addition, while I understand that to some people, a handful of censored CGs isn't that big of a deal, it is to me, and many others. I specifically paid for an adult version of the game, and the assets in the story itself are still all-ages. Not to mention, noticing this mistake is very easy. It took me a couple of minutes to notice it, and I wasn't actually looking for any issues when I did, I just stumbled across it. So, not only is this a mistake that should not happen, but it is a pretty big deal, all in all, despite "only being a handful of CGs." The game is literally not what I paid for.

The TL being kind of awkward just puts the final nail in the coffin for me, and I chose to ask for a refund. That being said, people throwing around death threats and going on crazy witch hunts are being completely silly. (And it in fact just drowns out the actual proper complaints people have, so please, stop that stuff...)

Fakku is being very helpful and understanding, which is good. People who are dissapointed can get refunds. Dovac's apology post is also a step in the right direction. I do hope that SP will improve moving forward, but I will personally not buy any more of their games until I see this happen. I gave them one more chance with Maitetsu, and it sadly did not go very well.

Hopefully the issue gets fixed soon, for the people who chose not to get a refund, and patiently wait for the fix to be implemented.

Just now, Kiriririri said:

Not sure if Fakku literally screaming this is UNFORGIVABLE helps but whatever

I mean, I understand where they are coming from. They have no control over the assets in the game, so they can't fix it. They just sell the game, but end up getting complaints left and right. So, obviously they feel some spite towards SP, who were ultimately at fault for this. They seem to be saying that they would never make a mistake like that, and if they did, they would fix it asap.

(Of course, I have not bought much from Fakku in the past, so whether that is true or not, I have no idea.) As a new customer, though, I very much like what I see from them, so that's something.

Also

18 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

He hasn't been the CEO for now 2 years lol

Hmm...

8 minutes ago, Kiriririri said:

Sorry, I should have clarified, I didn't claim he is the CEO, I meant to question Dovac's tweet, (the one being responded to in that link,) which made it sound like he is just another normal employee, which clearly is not the case.

7 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Sorry, I should have clarified, I didn't claim he is the CEO, I meant to question Dovac's tweet, (the one being responded to in that link,) which made it sound like he is just another normal employee, which clearly is not the case.

99% of SP's workers are just freelance so yes he is just like the 3 other normal employees. 

11 hours ago, Decay said:

Correct. None of the h-scenes are in the main story in the Japanese version. They're all intended to only be accessible via menu. Kinda like how Chrono Clock or eden* were. The Fakku version has all of those scenes.

Mountains out of molehills, imo. A handful of altered or missing ecchi CGs and a dozen lines without voices is not the end of the world. The translation accuracy is a bigger concern, but I dunno if I trust Fakku comments on that. This whole ordeal seems way over-dramatic for how small the issue really is. Like, should it have been released in this state? No, and I do hope it gets fixed soon. But is it really bad enough to start a witch hunt for responsible parties and demand refunds? Even Fakku's initial statement seemed outrageous to me. I get the feeling that they are just trying to win points with the anti-SP and anti-censorship crowds and are willing to stir up drama and throw SP under the bus to get these points. 

You can say that, but forgiving and forgetting sloppy work sends the wrong signals. It just tells other developers that they can get away with shitty work and people will just play it anyway. When they do crappy work, tell them with your wallet and be vocal about it if you want. You'd be swimming in shit if people never complained because people usually don't do more than they absolutely have to. It's human nature.

Edited by Stormwolf

7 hours ago, Dergonu said:

It goes further than that. Looking a SP's wikipedia page, the founder is called Raymond Qian. Somehow it doesn't add up that the guy who tries to make it appear as he is a low level guy with no influence or responsibility happens to be company founder and apparently listed in government documents as high ranking with certain responsibilities within the company. Going to SP's homepage didn't help. It turns out that "about us->staff" is password protected.

The biggest problem right now is not if there are 4 or 40 missing CGs or anything like that. It's the fact that there are problems and it looks like SP is more concerned with finding a scapegoat than admitting the issue and promise (and deliver!) a fix ASAP.

It's also CGs. For example, there's a panty shot early in the story that was removed. The CG of Hachiroku standing and looking up at the MC is the sfw version (panties not showing) and the bath CGs also have steam covering the chest area.

6 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

You can say that, but forgiving and forgetting sloppy work sends the wrong signals. It just tells other developers that they can get away with shitty work and people will just play it anyway. When they do crappy work, tell them with your wallet and be vocal about it if you want. You'd be swimming in shit if people never complained because people usually don't do more than they absolutely have to. It's human nature.

I mean, every VN company has fucked up pretty bad a few times. Attitudes like this will result in just perpetual anger because someone will always be screwing the pooch. 

7 hours ago, tymmur said:

It goes further than that. Looking a SP's wikipedia page, the founder is called Raymond Qian. Somehow it doesn't add up that the guy who tries to make it appear as he is a low level guy with no influence or responsibility happens to be company founder and apparently listed in government documents as high ranking with certain responsibilities within the company. Going to SP's homepage didn't help. It turns out that "about us->staff" is password protected.

The biggest problem right now is not if there are 4 or 40 missing CGs or anything like that. It's the fact that there are problems and it looks like SP is more concerned with finding a scapegoat than admitting the issue and promise (and deliver!) a fix ASAP.

They already did admit the issue and state that they're seeking a solution, though? I dunno what kind of point you're even trying to make here.

Edited by Decay

4 hours ago, solidbatman said:

I mean, every VN company has fucked up pretty bad a few times. Attitudes like this will result in just perpetual anger because someone will always be screwing the pooch. 

Someone will always make mistakes, but some mistakes are easy to forgive while others aren't. Common sense is a good thing. They more than likely knew very well that they had a product on their hands with quality that wasn't as it should be. Lacks 10 voiced lines or so? Well, shouldn't that ring a bell and them investigating what else could be wrong? But this takes time and time is money, so they likely just went ahead with it and released it so they could start on a new game. I know i can't tolerate such actions.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

They already did admit the issue and state that they're looking for a solution, though?

Should have been done prior to release.

Edited by Stormwolf

2 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Should have been done prior to release.

This presumes that they knew about the problem prior to release. If they did, they would've seen this shitstorm coming and wouldn't have intentionally walked into it.

Speculating that they knew beforehand gets us nowhere. At that point you're just finding reasons to be mad for the sake of being mad.

Edited by Decay

2 minutes ago, Decay said:

This presumes that they knew about the problem prior to release. If they did, they would've seen this shitstorm coming and wouldn't have intentionally walked into it.

Speculating that they knew beforehand gets us nowhere. At that point you're just finding reasons to be mad for the sake of being mad.

And if the reasons were bad ones, you trust them to admit to this? 

Just now, Stormwolf said:

And if the reasons were bad ones, you trust them to admit to this? 

The point is, we have absolutely no way of knowing one way or another. In the absence of any evidence or even any hint or indication that they knew beforehand, it's absurd to act like they definitely did. You can have your suspicions, but don't act like it's a fact.

Just now, Decay said:

The point is, we have absolutely no way of knowing one way or another. In the absence of any evidence or even any hint or indication that they knew beforehand, it's absurd to act like they definitely did. You can have your suspicions, but don't act like it's a fact.

No, we don't know the true reasons. What we DO know is that they made a half good product with faults that was so easy to notice and another fact is that they most certainly didn't do enough work to fix it before release. All these are facts. When you pay for something you expect to get a product that's as good as it can be.

2 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

No, we don't know the true reasons. What we DO know is that they made a half good product with faults that was so easy to notice and another fact is that they most certainly didn't do enough work to fix it before release. All these are facts. When you pay for something you expect to get a product that's as good as it can be.

Okay, I'm glad you moved the goalposts to a point that we at least somewhat agree on (that the game shouldn't have been released in this state).

And them releasing it and first now saying they're investigating it just tells me that they in some form of manner tried to avoid it and get away with not fixing it. If they did it because it would be hard for them, or for them to quickly be done with the game is unknown. End results for a consumer is still the same.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

Not so sure about their ability to see a shitstorm coming, for instance they didn't seem to expect the shitstorm that happened when they said that they were only going to release the vita version of Root Double on US PSN. A bit after due to the shitstorm they got they said that they had reconsidered and would release a version for the EU PSN as well. If they are not able to predict a shitstorm due to many backers not getting what they paid for I honestly question their ability to predict a shitstorm. Maybe they just expected that no one would care about the Maitetsu problems, who knows.

19 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

You mean he fixed issues that were not issues and made it even worse???

That's exactly what he did.  Someone came here and started a thread for the project and basically was told "this is not worth doing".  I guess they decided to press on and do it anyway.

If people prefer their game that way, I guess more power to them, but it really was not an improvement.  DD is totally a weeb, and it is in fact annoying, but it was annoying in the original game too.

2 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

Not so sure about their ability to see a shitstorm coming, for instance they didn't seem to expect the shitstorm that happened when they said that they were only going to release the vita version of Root Double on US PSN. A bit after due to the shitstorm they got they said that they had reconsidered and would release a version for the EU PSN as well. If they are not able to predict a shitstorm due to many backers not getting what they paid for I honestly question their ability to predict a shitstorm. Maybe they just expected that no one would care about the Maitetsu problems, who knows.

Root Double is still not available outside the US:

https://vndb.org/r55723

I think that this release is a disaster, however I am willing to wait it out. As many people have stated, we paid for an 18+ version. The missing voiced lines thing is also a major issue. It certainly does not affect me, as I tend to turn voices off, but it still shows a lack of quality control.