Maitetsu VN Discussion (Released at June 29th)

littleshogun

in an effort to integrate materials from the console version (additional content, etc.), some assets got mixed up in the 18+ release unintentionally.

Translation: we based the translation on the console version and added the H scenes to the 18+ release. We didn't bother to check if there are other differences between those two versions than just the presence of H scenes. When we put the versions together, nobody playtested the translated 18+ version and compared it to the Japanese original.

Ok, it will be patched (presumably) and hopefully everything will be fine. You could argue that most of the VN is ok, but remember either you buy the more expensive 18+ version or you buy the $15 18+ DLC. In other words you pay $15 for nudity and then they forgot to add a significant part of the nudity. That's just not ok at all.

I guess I have to keep waiting. I don't feel like either paying for or playing an unfinished VN.

3 hours ago, tymmur said:

Translation: we based the translation on the console version and added the H scenes to the 18+ release. We didn't bother to check if there are other differences between those two versions than just the presence of H scenes. When we put the versions together, nobody playtested the translated 18+ version and compared it to the Japanese original.

It's the opposite. The translation was based on the 18+ version, but in the process of integrating the console stuff into the 18+ version with the h-scenes removed (what ends up on steam), the console stuff ended up in the 18+ version with the h-scenes. 

On 1/7/2018 at 9:50 AM, Chuee said:

Yeah, let's single people out and make fun of them. Real mature. Especially when you have no evidence that this person is in any way responsible for the issues with the game (hint: they aren't).

Yeah it's a leadership problem, not a problem with a specific low level worker. Considering he has the steam version, it's quite possible he did QA/QC on the steam version only and that version isn't affected, or rather it's intentionally affected. In other words you can't blame quality testing of the steam version at all.

What you can blame is how fast the 18+ was made, which is a leadership decision. Somewhere a leader made the decision to make the 18+ version in a single day or something like that, including testing. Even if the worker in question wants to make it perfect, there simply isn't enough time to catch issues if you don't have the required number of days. In other words it looks like it's a cost cutting issue with the leadership, which backfired. Imagine if all the non-H scenes were identical, then they would have skipped out on paying for testing and nobody would have noticed.

Playing the blame game gets us nowhere. That's kind of like knocking over a trashcan and then blame each other for days instead of cleaning up. Right now the case is very simple. SP messed up as a company and SP has to take responsibility and fix it. If one person screwed up, leadership made a bad decision, their internal structure is screwed or whatever. It doesn't really matter to anybody other than SP. Even if it happens to be the QC guy, who failed, the problem is still elsewhere for allowing a structure, which can ship such a blunder due to a single point of failure. Also it should have been fixed prior to QC meaning if QC is to blame, somebody else is also to blame.

Personally I don't care who did what to lead to this problem. Just fix it ASAP and get it right this time.

EDIT: Japan has already revealed the outcome of the blame game. At some point in time, the media bashed all doctors whenever a single doctor made one mistake. As a result, young people stopped wanting to study medicine because such people are all horrible and are on public display for being bad. Now people are dying due to hospitals being understaffed because more doctors retire than new are trained. It might have improved today as this is a few years old, but the idea is the same. If you are always bashed for having anything to do with a translation project even if you do everything right, you might quit or not start at all, effectively kill off the localization of VNs.

Edited by tymmur

18 minutes ago, tymmur said:

Yeah it's a leadership problem, not a problem with a specific low level worker. Considering he has the steam version, it's quite possible he did QA/QC on the steam version only and that version isn't affected, or rather it's intentionally affected. In other words you can't blame quality testing of the steam version at all.

What you can blame is how fast the 18+ was made, which is a leadership decision. Somewhere a leader made the decision to make the 18+ version in a single day or something like that, including testing. Even if the worker in question wants to make it perfect, there simply isn't enough time to catch issues if you don't have the required number of days. In other words it looks like it's a cost cutting issue with the leadership, which backfired. Imagine if all the non-H scenes were identical, then they would have skipped out on paying for testing and nobody would have noticed.

Playing the blame game gets us nowhere. That's kind of like knocking over a trashcan and then blame each other for days instead of cleaning up. Right now the case is very simple. SP messed up as a company and SP has to take responsibility and fix it. If one person screwed up, leadership made a bad decision, their internal structure is screwed or whatever. It doesn't really matter to anybody other than SP. Even if it happens to be the QC guy, who failed, the problem is still elsewhere for allowing a structure, which can ship such a blunder due to a single point of failure. Also it should have been fixed prior to QC meaning if QC is to blame, somebody else is also to blame.

Personally I don't care who did what to lead to this problem. Just fix it ASAP and get it right this time.

My thoughts exactly.. what happens inside your damn company is irrelevant to me..No number of excuses justify the means if you keep repeatedly screwing up one after the other..

I just want the Product that i paid the full price for and as a company which launched the product its your responsibility to make sure that your customers get that product  which was promised to them.. Failure to do this on a repeated basis only means that your company as a whole is incompetent and that Developers should refrain from  licensing and publishing  their titles with this company.  This is not a fansub..this is a title people are paying for.

Edited by Wildbreed

16 minutes ago, Wildbreed said:

This is not a fansub..this is a title people are paying for.

Funny thing is, fan translations are less likely to make such a mistake. Fan translations comes in all qualities of the translation, but I have yet to hear about one, which cuts nude art by mistake. Unpaid workers have one huge benefit and that is you don't have to tell them to not proofread once more due to cost concerns.

So what should I say in regard of the censorship here? Well I don't know other than hope that Sekai will fixed this because it sounds ridiculous if a company can miss easily fixed problem, and that Dovac should started to using his professional and polite persona in the internet instead of his usual 'lack of public communication skill' persona (Or to be exact 'internet tough guy' persona) - at least it's interesting to know that deep down he was quite sensitive. If anything at least it slightly better compared to Miagete because at least we can still read the H scenes, but obviously Maitetsu here is still in need of some fix.

Current situation is waiting Japan's permission to fix it or wait for Japan to fix it

I personally wouldn't be surprised if QA didn't even know if 18+ was supposed to not have bath towels and stuff

Edited by Kiriririri

6 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

I personally wouldn't be surprised if QA didn't even know if 18+ was supposed to not have bath towels and stuff

This is probably true. The problem is easier for QA to miss than it first seems, really. I've never seen the QA for any company specifically check against the unaltered japanese version. They likely had no idea there was supposed to be anything different about the 18+ version.

Looking at comments on Fakku and steam reviews, it looks like:

• 18+ version using all age graphics in some places
  • 18+ contents missing entirely
  • missing voice files
  • translation accuracy issues
  • Fakku posted info on how to get a refund

Dovac, SP's CEO wrote this statement. Looks like they worked on a branch and then that branch had the console version merged into it. The statement is very vague here. Who did the merge? SP or Lose? It kind of sounds like Lose because SP is not allowed to alter anything other than the text itself. That would not clear SP though because they should have caught this issue and contacted Lose prior to release. Also it tells nothing about why it was merged. It seems strange that somebody would just do it for fun and it doesn't sound like they planned to break the release either. Even if this could be an explanation for what happened, it still seems quite odd to me that such a mistake makes it all the way to a release.

The question is what happens now? Will we get a version worth reading? When will it arrive and will it take an unofficial patch before everything is ok?

Edited by tymmur
Removed what turned out to be a fake rumor

36 minutes ago, tymmur said:

• missing voice files

Dovac, SP's CEO wrote this statement. Looks like they worked on a branch and then that branch had the console version merged into it. The statement is very vague here. Who did the merge? SP or Lose? It kind of sounds like Lose because SP is not allowed to alter anything other than the text itself. That would not clear SP though because they should have caught this issue and contacted Lose prior to release. Also it tells nothing about why it was merged. It seems strange that somebody would just do it for fun and it doesn't sound like they planned to break the release either. Even if this could be an explanation for what happened, it still seems quite odd to me that such a mistake makes it all the way to a release.

At least Dovac is working hard to solve this issue... well working hard CEO style.

The question is what happens now? Will we get a version worth reading? When will it arrive and will it take an unofficial patch before everything is ok?

I cannot and will not believe that this twitter page belongs to the CEO of anything.

If FAKKU weren't involved I would 100% say that only fans would be willing to fix this, but as it stands I have some faint hope that Sekai Project might do -something- within the next couple of months. Of course, by then, the game will have lost all of its momentum sales-wise, so it's a pretty major fuck up.

1 minute ago, tymmur said:

Apparently he is now saying he is not. I'm relieved, but I wonder how the fake rumor started.

He hasn't been the CEO for now 2 years lol

People should not talk about things they know nothing about 

12 minutes ago, Kiriririri said:

People should not talk about things they know nothing about 

I agree. However remember what I started with:

1 hour ago, tymmur said:

Looking at comments on Fakku and steam reviews

Once again I don't want to play the blame game, but I mentioned CEO because it came from what we would normally consider a trustworthy source. It was however not completely wrong, just out of date, which would technically make it completely wrong for the title in question.

Edited by tymmur

I lost the bet, but somehow everyone lost. The buyers because they will probably-at some point-maybe get what they paid for, SP and Fakku for actively losing sales to the negative response and Lose for actively fucking up their first on step into the western market. 

What an utter embarrassment for everyone involved. Especially me. 

Well, i hope they feel it. I can excuse not knowing what is different in jp version when you're supposedly translating the 18+ version, but missing voices and bad translation (if im not mistaken) is certainly good enough. You dont have to be a rocket scientist to wonder if something is wrong when voices etc are missing. I bet they did notice, but in the end, didnt really care too much as they rushed it out.

Edited by Stormwolf

On 7/2/2018 at 9:31 PM, Hiashi said:

So some of the CGs are from the Steam version but the 18+ scenes are still there and accessed from the title screen? Just to be sure, there aren't any 18+ scenes in the common route, right?

Correct. None of the h-scenes are in the main story in the Japanese version. They're all intended to only be accessible via menu. Kinda like how Chrono Clock or eden* were. The Fakku version has all of those scenes.

15 hours ago, tymmur said:

• missing voice files

Mountains out of molehills, imo. A handful of altered or missing ecchi CGs and a dozen lines without voices is not the end of the world. The translation accuracy is a bigger concern, but I dunno if I trust Fakku comments on that. This whole ordeal seems way over-dramatic for how small the issue really is. Like, should it have been released in this state? No, and I do hope it gets fixed soon. But is it really bad enough to start a witch hunt for responsible parties and demand refunds? Even Fakku's initial statement seemed outrageous to me. I get the feeling that they are just trying to win points with the anti-SP and anti-censorship crowds and are willing to stir up drama and throw SP under the bus to get these points. 

Edited by Decay

17 hours ago, Being said:

If FAKKU weren't involved I would 100% say that only fans would be willing to fix this

That's exactly what happened with ChronoClock:

https://vndb.org/r56244

And that's even after Sekai Project re-released the game a second time (original release was in February 2017, re-release was in August 2017), so that's a 3rd unofficial release. And from what that anon is saying, the game is still not perfect, as he only fixed the most glaring issues.

Btw, what ever happened to that 18+ version of G-senjou no Maou that Sekai announced a decade ago?

https://vndb.org/r51725

Edited by Nier