Palas

Fuwanovel Recommendation Site

1 minute ago, bakauchuujin said:

Maybe you could add a search function, would make it easier to find what is already on the site so it is easier to recommend something to add to it and it would also make it easier for people who want to make a review of the VN there to find it.

Ah yep I've been meaning to add that. At the moment I've been cheating by using an admin page which lists all the VNs, but I'll add a search field today.

Pardon the late discovery, but thanks for the recommendation site! I'm really impressed with how much effort went into this. :michiru:

You know, I've been meaning to get back into reading VNs again, so I might just make a little game out of cycling through the VNs in the order I've been given. Guess that means my next game will be Demonbane! Which is something I've been interested in, actually. The VN after that is YU-NO. o.O Hmm, I did not think that VN would fall under the mystery category. And now I'm interested.

But oh man, seeing Rewrite come up as my top recommendation is a bit painful. By every right, this should definitely be placed highly on the list, because there were so many ways I could've fallen in love with it. But my reason for hating it is mostly related to my preferences in narration, which I'm pretty sure can't be picked up through automation, so I won't fault the system for that.

Can't say the untranslated selection is entirely useless to me either since I should be reading untranslated VNs in about a month or so (I'm almost halfway done with the grammar guide). Might take a bit longer to read some of the harder works, but I'll still hold onto the list.

Edited by Kenshin_sama

I think nobody mentioned it, but is it possible to link the VNDB list to it in order to avoid VNs that I've already read? Or at least select ones that we want to be excluded, without "disliking" it?

And although there are screenshots, they are too small and without an option to open/zoom it.

11 minutes ago, Silvz said:

I think nobody mentioned it, but is it possible to link the VNDB list to it in order to avoid VNs that I've already read? Or at least select ones that we want to be excluded, without "disliking" it?

And although there are screenshots, they are too small and without an option to open/zoom it.

You will be able to open the screenshots soon. you can see planned things and changelog in the FAQ.

7 minutes ago, Silvz said:

Excluding those VNs that you've already voted on would be a great feature, but it's tricky to implement as I'd either need to maintain a copy of all the vndb data on the recc site or else load up vndb pages in real-time, both of which are a bit messy. It's something I'll keep on the list as potential features, but I can't promise it'll be added.

As for the full size screenshots, that's something on my to-do list, I'll hopefully have it up in the next few days.

Wow I'm so amazed that the community worked together to make this site.

One thing for the "reviews", I think that it would be better if people treated the reviews section just as a 'comments' section. When you are deciding whether to check out a VN, short comments help as much as full reviews (plus the latter can be overwhelming if there's more than one)

Just now, Chronopolis said:

Wow I'm so amazed that the community worked together to make this site.

One thing for the "reviews", I think that it would be better if people treated the reviews section just as a 'comments' section. When you are deciding whether to check out a VN, short comments help as much as full reviews (plus the latter can be overwhelming if there's more than one)

I'm really curious as to how the review content will turn out. Whether it's more short comments, previews with links to longer blog posts, or quite lengthy posts. As you say, I think shorter comments generally work better with this kind of format, a couple of paragraphs per review perhaps, with a link to a longer fuller review should the user want to go into more detail (or spoilers).

1 minute ago, BunnyAdvocate said:

I'm really curious as to how the review content will turn out. Whether it's more short comments, previews with links to longer blog posts, or quite lengthy posts. As you say, I think shorter comments generally work better with this kind of format, a couple of paragraphs per review perhaps, with a link to a longer fuller review should the user want to go into more detail (or spoilers).

I think it would be great if the reviews section could support all those types. But it might be harder to scan through, being different types of information. Perhaps you could have a review section, and then a compact list of links to external reviews.

1 hour ago, BunnyAdvocate said:

its just gonna be me spamming the little busters! comments until you guys ip ban me. 

1 hour ago, Chronopolis said:

I think it would be great if the reviews section could support all those types. But it might be harder to scan through, being different types of information. Perhaps you could have a review section, and then a compact list of links to external reviews.

At the moment I quite like how some folks have done the little preview paragraph followed by the link. At the moment there are so few reviews that we can just show everything, but eventually we'll need to organise them somehow. So yeah perhaps we could have a section specifically for external links.

Something I wonder a bit about, how do you decide which link to use for the available at? For instance some like nekopara and eiyuu senki has the like to the dlc site from the publishers as well as the link to steam, but it does not include a link to the full game on the publishers site. Also some like for instance have imouto paradise have the link going to the hardcopy rather than the digital while others like princess evangile has the link going to the digital. If you could I think it would be nice to have a small text over the sites that sell all ages version saying that it is all ages and one for the 18+ saying it is 18+ and maybe also one for hardcopies. Either way whether you want to do it like that or find another solution I think it would be nice for people to have a bit of information about the links used in the available at part. Considering that the site has an aim to help newcomers I think it should be as practical as possible to use.

32 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

Something I wonder a bit about, how do you decide which link to use for the available at? For instance some like nekopara and eiyuu senki has the like to the dlc site from the publishers as well as the link to steam, but it does not include a link to the full game on the publishers site. Also some like for instance have imouto paradise have the link going to the hardcopy rather than the digital while others like princess evangile has the link going to the digital. If you could I think it would be nice to have a small text over the sites that sell all ages version saying that it is all ages and one for the 18+ saying it is 18+ and maybe also one for hardcopies. Either way whether you want to do it like that or find another solution I think it would be nice for people to have a bit of information about the links used in the available at part. Considering that the site has an aim to help newcomers I think it should be as practical as possible to use.

The links were all initially determined from the release links provided on VNDB. These tend to be a bit inconsistent, so we've been manually fixing the ones we notice but with so many VNs on there, that's a slow process. Please let us know if you notice an incorrect link, or a missing one, and we'll try to fix it.

As for distinguishing those VNs with both all-age and 18+ versions, it's on the pending list of things to look at. I'm just not sure yet on how best to handle it.

31 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

I wonder if you could add NTR to the content warning list so it is possible to exclude those titles. I think that is something a lot of people would like to avoid.

Not only is "NTR" a term distorted from its original meaning so it's used improperly, it's also too much of a community-specific term which we're avoiding so anyone can understand the filters they can use. We're looking into including the possibility to exclude cheating/adultery though.