So now Fuwa is really dead?

Silvz

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 12:23 AM, Zakamutt said:

well, there's a discord...

One thing that has always baffled me is why Discord is more popular than traditional forums. As a medium of communication I much prefer the forum format. Not to mention that information is much better stored and searchable via web browsers when it's on a forum as opposed to a Discord server. There are also certain topics and conversations that work better when you can write out a thought out reply rather than a series of instant messages

36 minutes ago, Zalor said:

One thing that has always baffled me is why Discord is more popular than traditional forums. As a medium of communication I much prefer the forum format. Not to mention that information is much better stored and searchable via web browsers when it's on a forum as opposed to a Discord server. There are also certain topics and conversations that work better when you can write out a thought out reply rather than a series of instant messages

I think it's down to a combination of accessibility (it's a smoother experience to use discord tbh) and that people usually mostly want to shoot the shit rather than discuss to begin with.

Discord is simply an accessibility and convenience brain-worm. But conversations there are so fast and mostly shallow that you happen to run through hundreds of them in the span of a single day if you're really engaged. It's highly exhausting, but breeds interaction like nothing else. 

I think we can bring back the forums, but it would require creating dozens of open discussion threads worth engaging in. Newly created ones or repurposed older ones. This isn't given yet and for some reason there's something holding us back from creating them. Maybe the idea that it's "weird" to be basically creating "state-run" discussion threads as opposed to have them user-generated.

I have to think how to promote the forum and if it's just going to stay an archive for the last 10 years with the occasional person coming to chat, it's not terrible either. Give the analytics we do see like 10-20 news signups here every day, but the people just don't have incentive to make threads and speak up. 

As everywhere, the lurker to active member ratio differs by a huge margin.

I hope we can give the forum some love like we can give to the blog. I really love the place.