Any recommendations?

Weiterfechten

Next VN  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What should I read?

• White Album 2
    • Kara no Shoujo (which one should you start with, the first one, or with Cartagra?)
    • Aiyoku no Eustia
    • Dies Irae
    • Soukou Akki Muramasa
    • Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai - Under the Innocent Sky.
    • Baldr Sky Dive1
    • Something else (please detail)

Hey!

Oh boy, I just finished Sakura no Uta (which was I don't even know how many hours of reading, 50++?), and what an great game, but that is not what this is about. I am looking for a new VN to read, I have had my sights on White Album 2 for quite some time, but thought it would be worth it to ask for recommendations here too. Oh by the way, for those of you that have read WA2, do you have to read White Album (1) to then go on to the second one or are you fine either way as long as you start with the Introductory Chapter of 2? 

I am fairly open when it comes to suggestions, just try to lay low on the Slice-of-Life content and mega monologues of doom on philosophy (some is fine, but I feel like I am not into another ultra philosophy lesson like Sakura no Uta). If I were to say something I am looking for it would be something with a bit of drama or action and some interesting characters.

As you likely guessed I do not mind if it is only in Japanese.

I don't feel qualified to vote on the poll, but to answer a few questions:

Playing Cartagra before Kara no Shoujo is recommended, but not required. Cartagra characters show up and there are quite a few references, but it's not like you'll be completely lost in Kara no Shoujo.

You can play White Album 2 no problem, White Album 1 is a completely different story in the same universe.

Well, the poll only have AAA titles (maybe excluding Kara no Shoujo), but every work are very different from each other, so it break down to what you want now.

WA2 is probably the best "soap opera" drama vn that you will read, but if you are not into dramatic dragging love triangles (the soap opera special) things could be a little tiring in some parts.

I recommend Oretsuba, a very solid title despite the low popularity comparing to the others on the poll, somehow a unique work in some aspects and the best that Ou Jackson write so far (not as if he is a masterpiece writer, but well, he does his job).

All novels in this list are very good so I will only give you some of my thoughts.

Dies Irae - for me personally DI is number 1 fantasy/battle royal story, but if you read it, prepare for disappointment in majority of other chuuni novels.

Baldr Sky Dive 1 - if you read this, read Dive 2 immediately. This is a single story, it must not be separated. Basically same as Umineko.

Eustia - is pretty good, though it loses to other VNs in this list (at least in my opinion).

Kara no Shoujo - good, but just in case, do not eat anything while reading. When I was reading part 2 I did this mistake and there was this one scene.

18 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

People are voting for what's translated, according to the results.

That is an obvious result. After all, majority of people here cannot read Japanese. However, this is not the only cause. Lets be honest, translated novels in this list is that good. Dies Irae is basically the god of chuuni. It was very well known even before translation. KnS is also a classic.

As for the recommendation here, I guess I'll just suggest you to try Eustia here because it did have different setting compared to the rest, and on the length side it's quite short compared to Baldr Sky. That said, since Dies Irae is the winner of the vote I would like to say have fun playing Dies Irae, and keep in mind that the narration and the monologue in that could be quite overwhelming.