Summer 2018 Anime Discussion

Plk_Lesiak

I've so far checked out five of the summer premieres:

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord:

Overall it's good enough so far (only watched the first episode). It's nothing outstanding, but the jokes are funny enough and the fanservice is good enough...though I can't help but feel I'd be enjoying this more if this were an eroge since then it wouldn't have to hold back on the harem and H stuff at all.

Angels of Death

Only watched the first episode. This one's just okay; the mystery around the girl and the place she's trapped in has me curious, but other than that I'm not all that impressed so far. The twist with the doctor was obvious from the get go and admittedly the guy with the scythe looks more silly than scary.

Harukana Receive

It looks nice, but admittedly the sports aspect isn't really appealing to me that much. The moment the anime started hinting one of the girls used to play volleyball but doesn't anymore the first thing that popped into my head was "Okay, who died?" and sure enough at the end of the episode... Also I get the main appeal for this anime, in fact it reminds me of this little sum up of the main reason people watched Baywatch:

Cells at Work

Watched episode 1 and 2. This may be the best of the bunch as I'm liking the wackiness of this show be it the character antics, how something mundane like a cut is portrayed as affecting the characters, or how the villains of episode 2 get beaten.

Angolmois

Watched the first episode and I liked what I saw. The premise and main cast is interesting, the animation's nice, and I really like the opening (gives me an old samurai film feel, though considering that and the historical event this is centered around I'll be surprised if any characters survive at the end of this).

I've only checked two series so far.

First is Grand Blue. Like any other adaptation of a comedy manga, I think it doesn't flow as well as in anime form. It's like they don't give it time for the joke to "settle in", when you start laughing the show already moved on, everything moves too fast. But I said the same about Prison School, and that turned out pretty good. At least they get it right the weird expressions and overall zaniness of the series. The didn't even cut their retarded alcohol consumption habits, so much they had two warnings of "don't attempt this at home!" :wahaha:  Best chapter is this week, that'll decide everything.

Second was Banana Fish. Ignored by a lot of people for being a "series for girls", because it was published in a shojo magazine and it have a cast of only males, I went to see and found... only gang violence and tragedy and more tragedy. I'm really behind times for thinking that "for girls" means it's a sappy romance, dear god, it's quite dark. How was this published in a shojo magazine in the 80s???? I'll need a moe series to watch on the side, I can see this will leave me devastated. :komari:  I could watch Free, since sports bros is healing enough for me, but I'm one season behind.

Personally, I'm watching:

• Grand Blue: Didn't expect much from the adaptation, but it's pretty decent. We shall see if the anime manages to make the show justice, since it's one of the funniest manga ever.
  • Overlord III: More Overlord.
  • Hataraku Saibou (Cells at Work): Probably the anime of the season. Everyone's already in love with it, and it's indeed pretty good. A doctor even made a thread on Reddit talking about the first episode.
  • Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro: Another surprise! I expected it to be quite dumber, but the show's actually quite entertaining.

All hail the Platelets, which the show actually has scientific reason to make lolis and shotas, due to how small they are.

IMG_20180716_024136.png

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro so far is the only show that's mildly amusing. Everything else new is boring me to to tears. I'm going to end up watching the least new shows this season than I have in about 5 years, and it's not for lack of time. Even hataraku saibou is actually not really that entertaining beyond the platelets being cute with its complete lack of any story (plus I know physiology backwards so I'm not learning anything.)  Please don't lewd the platelets.

I'm having a lot of fun with Happy Sugar Life. Had some Mirai Nikki vibes here and there, though with a slightly different angle to its storytelling approach. Not much to say about it so far since I only watched one episode, but it's been a pretty wild ride!

Not sure why I went in expecting anything different from a video game adaption, but Satsuriku no Tenshi is a definite flop. The pacing is bad enough for even me to notice it, there's almost no psychological tension where there should be, and even Okamoto can't save the character he's voicing from looking stupid. I couldn't stomach more than 14 minutes of this anime, so I'll be giving it a pass.

Grand Blue is fairly amusing! I've heard good things about the manga, and it does seem to carry over pretty nicely in the adaption from what I've seen so far on the first episode. The facial expressions in this anime are top notch!

Attack On titan is starting again, and like always, best graphics and best animation, super excellent animation, it feels good to see them again.

BUT, major BUT...Censorship appeared, and we're talking about big censorship here...kinda sad, tbh. 

9 hours ago, ittaku said:

Aaargh... guess I have to wait for another source... hopefully ATX will deliver.

You can watch for yourself and see if the level of "censorship" is something you can accept.

The problem is, i don't think there will be an uncensored version, vastly because the episode was made in a way they were able to hide everything graphical.

Spoiler

I mean, wow man, hiding the scene with pastor Nick, like what?

I'm not an advocate of gore and anti-censorship person, but attack on titan does need gore because it's not just here for shock value, but to serve the atmosphere.

I watched the first two episodes of Revue Starlight and it might be my biggest surprise this season. It starts off with a rather normal slice of life setting and does a complete 180° turn towards the end of the first episode. Also:

WHY IS THIS SHOW SO DAMN PRETTY!?!?

Revue Starlight had so far amazing production values and animation that's nearly on KyoAni level which really surprised me. I really recommend giving it a try.

1 hour ago, Seth said:

I watched the first two episodes of Revue Starlight and it might be my biggest surprise this season. It starts off with a rather normal slice of life setting and does a complete 180° turn towards the end of the first episode. Also:

WHY IS THIS SHOW SO DAMN PRETTY!?!?

Revue Starlight had so far amazing production values and animation that's nearly on KyoAni level which really surprised me. I really recommend giving it a try.

Really?? I got 3/4 of the way through the 1st episode and asked myself WTF AM I WATCHING!? and gave up...

2 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Really?? I got 3/4 of the way through the 1st episode and asked myself WTF AM I WATCHING!? and gave up...

I would at least watch the first episode from start to finish. The end differs a lot from the rest of the episode and that's also where the best animated parts are (and some nice music). Until when did you watch?

1 minute ago, Seth said:

I would at least watch the first episode from start to finish. The end differs a lot from the rest of the episode and that's also where the best animated parts are (and some nice music). Until when did you watch?

To the end of some otherworldly moment where the protagonist kicks butt in some way. It didn't leave a lasting impression so I can't for the life of me remember just how she kicked butt.

4 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

You can watch for yourself and see if the level of "censorship" is something you can accept.

The problem is, i don't think there will be an uncensored version, vastly because the episode was made in a way they were able to hide everything graphical.

Reveal hidden contents

I mean, wow man, hiding the scene with pastor Nick, like what?

I'm not an advocate of gore and anti-censorship person, but attack on titan does need gore because it's not just here for shock value, but to serve the atmosphere.

I watched it... I thought you meant there would be light beams and intense shadows and stuff but there was nothing of the sort. Are you just talking about what wasn't portrayed that was in the original? Seemed okay to me in this form.

46 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I watched it... I thought you meant there would be light beams and intense shadows and stuff but there was nothing of the sort. Are you just talking about what wasn't portrayed that was in the original? Seemed okay to me in this form.

I'm pretty sure i didn't say Attack on Titan became Seinfeld. w

Seriously Tho, yes, they did tone down the violence.

Spoiler

Pastor Nick's nails weren't shown, and cute girl definitely lost more than just blood

It's still the same, violent universe you all love, there is still blood...but the gory elements have been toned down.

Yay, Suzuha episode!

I did not think this would get as heavy as it did, but damn did it get me right in the feels. I thought this was gonna be a lighthearted romance slice of life episode for fleshing out the characters, but it was a real tearjerker this time around.

Edited by Kenshin_sama

3 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Yay, Suzuha episode!

I did not think this would get as heavy as it did, but damn did it get me right in the feels. I thought this was gonna be a lighthearted romance slice of life episode for fleshing out the characters, but it was a real tearjerker this time around.

Spoiler

What hits me directly to the feels is the Rimi Plushie, man, i was laughing.

This episode is an excellent mix between good jokes and excellent drama, very little plot points, but we may had some chekov's gun and some foreshadowing here.

Since this season is so boring so far, I tried to start catching up on the Captain Tsubasa remake... it's so childish it's as boring as batshit. Trying Major 2nd as well and it's a little better, but not sure I'll be able to last it out. Having Kana Hanazawa as a VA in it does miracles though ^_^.

Today's episode of steins;gate 0 was as painful as excellent to watch.

I easily rank it as one of my favourite episodes of the series, alongside episode 8,15 and 13.

Spoiler

Ok Okabe, i'm sorry but here i can't accept it, you DON'T make mayuri cry, that is unnacceptable, as much as you suffer from what you've committed, you do not harm Mayushii.

That verbal fight between Maho and Okabe was really impressive, the cinematography was on point, the imagery is great, they are doing a hell of a great job.