Summer 2018 Anime Discussion

Plk_Lesiak

Hey, it's becoming a bit of a tradition for me to start these! ^^

The spring is ending and we're going into a summer that looks... Very dull, TBH. I can't find a show I know I'll be following for sure other than Overlord III and that weird Demon King thingy with a poorly translated synopsis (almost makes me feel like I'm reading a summary of a nukige). Apparently, I'm the last person on Earth that still isn't absolutely sick of isekai anime.

Obviously, there's also the third season of Attack on Titan, but I still have the second one to go through and TBH I was never as enthralled with that series as most people are.

What are your thoughts people? Anything you're looking forward to?

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

that weird Demon King thingy with a poorly translated synopsis

:michiru: Well apparently the light-novel for it is licensed and has somewhat low-ish rating at NU, even though it essentially doesn't mean anything. The premise sounds so generic, so I honestly don't understand how anybody is still not tired of these things.

And the synopsis was taken from NU, and it's actually normal quality for them.

6 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

And the synopsis was taken from NU, and it's actually normal quality for them.

That's actually pretty sad...

3 hours ago, Czero said:

That synopsis doesn't inspire optimism from me.

Same here, but it's not a real anime season for me if I don't watch at least one really crappy series to completion. And few things fit that role better than a trashy isekai. :P

2 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

That's actually pretty sad...

Same here, but it's not a real anime season for me if I don't watch at least one really crappy series to completion. And few things fit that role better than a trashy isekai. :P

To each their own lol, to each their own. :)

13 hours ago, Ranzo said:

When I found out that Happy Sugar Life was being made into a series I wasn't really quite sure what to say but, I am really interested in seeing how it turns out.

Wow, this like a yuri... Yandere... Loli... Horror? :michiru: I think I'll give it a try, but I'm actually a bit scared. :P

4 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Wow, this like a yuri... Yandere... Loli... Horror? :michiru: I think I'll give it a try, but I'm actually a bit scared. :P

Yeah it's a real mouthful. Well, if the anime is going to be as fucked as the manga then you are in for a super fun time.:holo:

Overlord III, Shingeki 3, Island, Hataraku Saibou, for sure I'll watch these series, and I started to read Happy Sugar Life, I don't want to wait anymore, I watched the PVs and ufff It look so interesting and after reading some couples chapters now I'm more impatient, I'm hype and want to watch it so bad how is animated. This series like Gakkou Gurashi :D Hope they manage the adaptation like Gurashi because was great! (Different studio, I know) They made a good bait for people that enjoy slice of life and moe when in the end has a great surprise, good trolls. 

Edited by Black99

Isekai Maou, Overlord III, Satsuriku no Tenshi (sorry, fell to the title), Yuragi-sou, Shichisei no Subaru, Hyakuren no Haou, Tenrou, Sunohara-sou, Happy Sugar Life (despite the name, it looks like it might turn crazy), Lord of Vermilion, Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi (continued), Muhyo no Roujii, and Angomois.

Needless to say, I'll whittle them down as time goes by (and the series turn out to suck, as is usually the case).  I have a tendency to start out watching half the stuff that comes out, then dropping all but four or five by the end of the season.

I'm really excited for the new Kaiji anime. Well, it's actually a spin-off based on a manga (not even made by the original creator) featuring Tonegawa. Still, I've been waiting for more Kaiji-related projects for way too long! I'll take what I can get!

Aw yee, new season of Gintama! I've purposely hold off on watching the latest season of Gintama just so I could build a backlog of episodes. I can't wait to watch them all, hohoho!

The only 2 that really catch my attention are Satsuriku no Tenshi and Happy Sugar Life. I think I'll try out Sunoharasou no Kanrinin-san also since I haven't watched anything from Silver Link in a while, and the protagonist is pretty cute too. I'm pretty stoked to see Okamoto Nobuhiko voice a psycho killer again in Satsuriku no Tenshi; seriously, his voice was made for roles like these. Not to say he isn't great in anything else, but you know. :P Happy Sugar Life looks fun, and I'm interested to see where it goes. Even though horror in anime is usually pretty tame, I can still appreciate the aesthetic (horror anime like Tasogare Otome x Amnesia can look absolutely amazing).

Ok, well..

Of course i am continuing Steins;Gate 0, even if, tbh i am not watching episodes anyway.

BUT ATTACK ON TITAN IS BACK ON BUSINESS!!! Time for...definitely the worst arc of the manga, let's see how they turn it in anime. 

5 hours ago, ittaku said:

Last season was awesome for sequels. This one, not quite so, except for titan I guess... Here's hoping there are some surprises because nothing is grabbing me by the balls at this stage.

Except Persona 5 i think almost everything last season was amazing.
Spring 2018 has to be one of the best anime season ever, in my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Mr Poltroon could you pin this thread and unpin the spring one? TYIA :)

BTW, the season has started just as I expected. The Demon Lord show is absolutely trashy but might be fun, it feels very much like Deathmarch (that is, tolerable power fantasy). That other isekai, The Master of Ragnarok feels pretty much unwatchable, but I won't be defeated by a mere harem-isekai-trash, so I might continue reporting on its dreadful quality. :nico: Overlord III started quite funny and casual, I liked it very much, but I wonder where it will go from here. That first episode felt more like a special than an actual opening of a new storyarc.

Oh, there's also a badminton show in this season, HANEBADO! - I think I'll have to watch that one as I have tons of nostalgia for badminton. It might be the first sports anime I watch from start to finish, I've always avoided those like the plague. Unless you count Teekyu, but it had nothing to do with Tennis.

There's also that Zombie Girl ONA, spawned from a failed anime which was meant to go live back in 2012. It's supposed to be absolutely horrible, so It's not something I can miss out on. Will probably give it a go tomorrow evening or during the weekend. :meguface:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

56 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

So, the Calamity of the Zombie Girl is horrible. Not funny bad. Not outlandishly bad. Just painfully bad.

It's ugly.

It's offensively stupid.

It's gross. Not in a fun way.

Don't watch it. I like bad anime. I've never regretted watching a bad anime. I regret watching Calamity of the Zombie Girl. :wafuu:

Is it the "it's so bad reddit make it good" style, like Mayoiga? or is it just plain bad?