Reading VNs on the Nintendo Switch

Zander

I've noticed a lot of VNs are coming to the Switch; a lot of VNs originally released on the Playstation Vita are getting remakes, like Norn9, and there is also the Kickstarter for My Girlfriend is a Mermaid!?.

What do you think? Will the Nintendo Switch become a popular platform for VNs (particularly in the West)? Would you, personally, enjoy reading VNs on it? 

17 minutes ago, Zander said:

I've noticed a lot of VNs are coming to the Switch; a lot of VNs originally released on the Playstation Vita are getting remakes, like Norn9, and there is also the Kickstarter for My Girlfriend is a Mermaid!?.

What do you think? Will the Nintendo Switch become a popular platform for VNs (particularly in the West)? Would you, personally, enjoy reading VNs on it? 

I think it has the potential to do so. After all look how many VNs came to the Vita (even in English) and the Switch is able to offer that portability that no other current console does. Plus we're already seeing publishers like Spike Chunsoft, Aksys, PQube, and Limited Run Games move over to Switch and those are all publishers that've had a hand to play in pushing VNs on Vita (especially if you include otomes in the definition). Couple all of that with a really nice screen and hardware, and a large and growing install base, and it stands to reason that it could wind up being common for VNs to come onto Switch and possibly get more people interested in reading them.

As for me I would enjoy reading VNs on it, and I'm hoping somehow that we get the Switch version of Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm to come over (not sure that that's likely though), along with anything else. I originally liked playing VNs on TV (weird, I know) but being able to combine that with playing while out and about would make it incredibly convenient and easy to play.

Edited by snowbell55

I saw that the otomege company Otomate is interested in making Switch VNs, so maybe that'll be the push a needed to buy one! My pretty boys now on a bigger screeeeeen!

I like to read VNs on my Vita (it was part of the reason I bought one), but Sony is doing their best to make everyone that still uses it to give up. Shame on you, Sony, I'll NTR you with Nintendo if they give me otome!!!

Otomege tend to be mass-produced for portable consoles, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of them start popping up on the Switch.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see non-ero versions of Light's games make their way over to the Switch as well, along with a generous samplings of other games that can do without erotic content.  However, I would be greatly surprised if it goes much beyond that.

Yup, definitely.

VNs are quite popular on the portable consoles since I've always seen releases of them on the PSP and the Vita. Now that Sony doesn't want to focus on portable consoles these days as well as Nintendo being open to third-party titles, we'll probably be seeing VNs on the Switch a fair bit now.

It may take a while for other third-party publishers to get on board though since many before were quite suspect about the Switch's potential and Nintendo's previous policy about it being a "family console". Some companies are already on board with ecchi games since we've got Senran Kagura and Gal Gun 2 on it.

As for me reading VNs on it, I don't really mind. I sometimes use my laptop to read VNs before going to bed so if the VNs are on the Switch, things would be even more convenient. It'll be like reading a book, lol. However, I'd still have my policy that if I buy VNs on the Switch then the original game would have to be an all-ages version from the start. If the game originally had 18+ content which got cut for the Switch version then I would buy it on the PC instead.

Edited by jetpack003

It might be possible, although as of whether it'll caused the publishers to move to Switch in order to port the VNs as of now I guess it's still small possibility. I say this because most of the VN companies is more than likely still have their contract with Sony, because from what I see most of the VNs was ported to Playstation. As of whether the companies would be move on from Sony to Nintendo, I guess it would be depending on the term that Nintendo offer to the companies, and whether it would be profitable for the VN companies or not. In the end, guess I'll just wait and see in regard of this because it's not like that I'll purchase Switch in near future anyway.