How big is Fuwanovel?

Happiness+

Mmm... I dunno about now, but there was a time just a few years ago when Fuwa had a ridiculous amount of influence for what amounts to 'just another otaku site'.  A lot of it was that most of the people here were VN or otaku newbies and we had a solid set of veterans who were less interested in looking down on newbies than getting the good word (eroge) out there.  Most other VN sites, for better or worse, were dominated by the most jaded type of veteran (unwilling to admit that anything outside their favorite genre is good, categorically rejecting anyone who likes OELVNs, etc).  As such, it was easier just to come to Fuwa. 

A lot of the people doing fanstranslations at least posted here, and there were a lot of helpful people here.

Unfortunately, that kind of thing never lasts long... and Tay hasn't been around lately, so there is only so much anyone can do to keep things going.  We still have a solid core community, but the ratio of trolls to regular users went up and some people left.  A lot of the veterans are ghosts now, and a lot of the former newbies have gone off on their own (becoming veterans themselves). 

Edit: The main reason Fuwa was so successful was because it was a VN-centric community in a period when there weren't many of those.  Once SP, MG, and the others started mass-localizing, it was inevitable that the 'guerilla' atmosphere of the VN community would disperse and a VN-centric community would lose ground to more generalistic otaku communities.  The English-only crowd tends to go elsewhere and the otaku crowd tends to head for more generalistic sites.  Those of us veterans of the site (as opposed to VNs) that still hang around do so mostly because this is 'our place'.  Heck, I post blogs on VNs that I know mostly won't be read until months or years later (I go look later and see a thousand views where only fifty to a hundred people look the first month or so) because this is the place I like to be.  I don't have a real presence anywhere else anymore outside of my browsing accounts on Japanese sites, and that isn't likely to change as long as Fuwa is reasonably lively.

33 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

and in some cases, regular users turning into trolls. i know one example at least but seems that one was taken care of. :sachi: 

There are still those we consider to be borderline... but as long as they don't cross the line, we won't do anything, lol.

Dedicated VN forums in general have declined.  This isn't specific to Fuwanovel.  JAST's forum is a barren wasteland.  MangaGamer dropped its forum entirely.  FAKKU's forum has sporadic activity, but it's largely driven by employee posts.  Even VNDB seems less lively lately.  A lot of discussion has moved to Discord, where the focus becomes socializing rather than sharing content and ideas.  Only /r/visualnovels seems to have maintained its activity levels, though much of the content nowadays is about topics that don't interest me.

Fuwanovel doesn't utterly dominate like it used to, but it still seems like the most active discussion forum dedicated to visual novels.  Such forums serve a very important role: chronicling knowledge and events for future generations.  Browsing the old JAST forums, for example, is like opening a time capsule from the dawn of the English market.  There's a great deal of knowledge there that you just won't find anywhere else, and Fuwanovel too will serve that role someday--provided a forum crash doesn't wipe it all out. 

4 hours ago, Emi said:

Thats the forum tho, the majority of visitors never go to the forums whatsoever.  and a huge part never register. as seen even right now (when people asking if fuwa is dead) the forum have 14 users logged in. but 108 guests. and those numbers use to be 10 times higher.  

so registerd users is not really anything that can deflect how "big" fuwa been or is.  but we cant access more accurate numbers. only nay or tay :)

Can't see main site at all, but I can bring some neat forum stats!

We've been really about the exact same for the past year and a half. After we killed torrents there was a big decline, then a soft one until mid 2016 where we reached what we have right now, where it has been more or less stuck since forever. We get about as many new users as we lose old ones, and so the balance remains stable (note that we're approaching what has historically been out lowest period of activity in the year, as you can see by all the declines around this time.)  

We can still consistently reach over 150 topics almost every month, which is already more than when I joined the forums. 

The community right now is pretty stable, though we can't really match up to our relevance in the old days.

But that's torrents for you. 

tQSkEks.png

This is something I'd like to post about on the front site. A community update is long-overdue and there's a lot to talk about. I haven't looked at the analytics for a few weeks, but the site's still growing traffic-wise. The front site's major traffic goes to VNTS and Reviews. Kaguya showed some of the forums data, I'll add that walkthroughs are still big. And VNTL-Moon, oddly, is still getting traffic despite being woefully outdated and buggy. 

2 hours ago, Tay said:

This is something I'd like to post about on the front site. A community update is long-overdue and there's a lot to talk about. I haven't looked at the analytics for a few weeks, but the site's still growing traffic-wise. The front site's major traffic goes to VNTS and Reviews. Kaguya showed some of the forums data, I'll add that walkthroughs are still big. And VNTL-Moon, oddly, is still getting traffic despite being woefully outdated and buggy. 

Being outdated and buggy is a feature!

On 6/21/2018 at 12:35 PM, Clephas said:

Mmm... I dunno about now, but there was a time just a few years ago when Fuwa had a ridiculous amount of influence for what amounts to 'just another otaku site'.  A lot of it was that most of the people here were VN or otaku newbies and we had a solid set of veterans who were less interested in looking down on newbies than getting the good word (eroge) out there.  Most other VN sites, for better or worse, were dominated by the most jaded type of veteran (unwilling to admit that anything outside their favorite genre is good, categorically rejecting anyone who likes OELVNs, etc).  As such, it was easier just to come to Fuwa. 

A lot of the people doing fanstranslations at least posted here, and there were a lot of helpful people here.

Unfortunately, that kind of thing never lasts long... and Tay hasn't been around lately, so there is only so much anyone can do to keep things going.  We still have a solid core community, but the ratio of trolls to regular users went up and some people left.  A lot of the veterans are ghosts now, and a lot of the former newbies have gone off on their own (becoming veterans themselves). 

Edit: The main reason Fuwa was so successful was because it was a VN-centric community in a period when there weren't many of those.  Once SP, MG, and the others started mass-localizing, it was inevitable that the 'guerilla' atmosphere of the VN community would disperse and a VN-centric community would lose ground to more generalistic otaku communities.  The English-only crowd tends to go elsewhere and the otaku crowd tends to head for more generalistic sites.  Those of us veterans of the site (as opposed to VNs) that still hang around do so mostly because this is 'our place'.  Heck, I post blogs on VNs that I know mostly won't be read until months or years later (I go look later and see a thousand views where only fifty to a hundred people look the first month or so) because this is the place I like to be.  I don't have a real presence anywhere else anymore outside of my browsing accounts on Japanese sites, and that isn't likely to change as long as Fuwa is reasonably lively.

Time is cruel sometimes, nothing last forever in this earth. Change will always take place for better or worse... Well I'm a kind of guy who discovered Visual Novels by playing OELVNS, Long Live The Queen being my first one and totally transitioned into those original, true Japanese VNs as I learned how awesome the medium was! :sachi:

And I ended up here in Fuwanovel in my pursuit of searching the best VNs in existence! :sacchan: 

No one knows what the future may bring, however as long as there are Visual Novels, Fuwanovel will always be a relevant site for both newbies and veterans alike. I'm glad to be here since it has a much friendlier atmosphere than the ones in Beast's Lair wherein disputes could quickly got blown out of proportion :wahaha:

At the very least I feel at peace or at home whenever I roam around on Fuwanovel...  

Edited by Templarseeker