Creating a list of VN-related Steam Creator Profiles (W.I.P)

Plk_Lesiak

The list in this thread is no longer being updated - any future updates will appear on my blog, in this article.

The Steam Creator feature is quite a neat thing and I think it can be used to promote quality VNs and good brands on Steam, which are now always at risk of drowning in the sea of crap that gets published on the platform on a daily basis. The devs and publishers are really jumping in to make use of the new tools, so I thought it could be a good idea to already start working on a comprehensive list of creators that are worth following from a VN fan's perspective. When I think it's comprehensive enough, I will publish it on the blog, but for now, I will appreciate all the feedback on the format, descriptions I use or the profiles I might've missed. I've only started going through the profiles and I know new creator pages will be popping up every day in the coming weeks, so this will be a prolonged process.

For the descriptions, I include only titles available on Steam in them and state some pretty obvious facts, but I would like this to be somewhat useful even for people that know relatively little about VNs and want to find good sources of those on Steam.

---------------------------------------------------

EVN developer and publisher profiles

Sekai Project (localization and publishing company, mostly focused on visual novels; World End Economica, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius).

Ebi-hime (critically-acclaimed Western VN developer, most well-known for her yuri and horror titles; Sweetest Monster, Asphyxia).

Christine Love (writer and EVN developer, one of the early starts of the Western VN scene; Analogue: A Hate Story, Ladykiller in a Bind).

Hanako Games (EVN publisher and developer specialized in yuri and otome games; A Little Lily Princess, Long Live the Queen).

WinterWolves (Western developer creating RPGs with visual novel-style storytelling, dating sims and romance VNs; Loren the Amazon Princess, Roommates).

Razzart Visual (EVN developer most well-known for her yuri titles; Love Ribbon, Starlight Vega).

InvertMouse (Australian EVN developer, known for unusual, mostly non-romantic stories; Without Within, The Last Birdling)

Lupiesoft (EVN development team best known for creating futa eroge; The Menagerie, Mutiny!!).

MoaCube (EVN developer known for distinct, non-anime artstyle and characterization; Cinders, Solstice).

Zetsubou Games (writer and developer involved in many well-known EVN projects; Sable's Grimoire, Sickness).

Afterthought Studio (EVN developer and publisher; Forgotten, Not Lost; CUPID).

Dharker Studios (EVN developer and publisher, best known for ecchi titles; Army Gals, Negligee).

Sukeban Games (Venezuelan game developer, authors of VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action).

Other VN-related profiles

MangaGamer (the biggest VN localization company in the West; Sorcery Jokers, Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome).

VisualArts/Key (one of the oldest and most respected VN developers, now localizing and publishing their own games in-house; Little Busters, Planetarian).

Frontwing USA (Western publishing arm of Frontwing, a major JP VN developer; Wonderful Everyday Down the Rabbit-Hole, Grisaia series).

JAST USA (the oldest VN/dating sim localization company in the West; Eiyuu Senki, Flowers series).

Spike Chuunsoft (Japanese developer and publisher; Steins;Gate, Danganronpa).

Degica Games (Japanese game publisher, occasionally delving into the VN niche; Symphonic Rain, Love Nurse Addiction).

Fruitbat Factory (localization company focused on doujin Japanese games, including VNs; Seabed, Chuusotsu! 1st Graduation).

Idea Factory (Japanese developer and publisher, most known for the Hyperdimension Neptunia games, but also for popular otome VNs; Amnesia: Memories, Hakuoki).

Sol Press (Japanese media localization company that recently expanded into the VN market; Sakura Sakura, Newton and the Apple Tree).

NekoNyan (VN localization company specialized in moege; Fureraba ~Friend to Lover~; Sanoba Witch).

Alice in Dissonance (Japanese doujin circle; Fault series, Mhakna Gramura and Fairy Bell).

NEKO WORKs (Japanese developer, creators of the Nekopara series; Nekopara, Tropical Liquor).

SakuraGame (Chinese publisher infamous for their low-quality, machine-translated English releases; Tricolour Lovestory; Fortissimo FA).

Small developers and publishers

Culture Select (doujin game localization company; Dead End Junction, One Small Fire at a Time).

Top Hat Studios (EVN developer and publisher; Episicava, The Wilting Amaranth).

DigitalEZ (publishing company best known for Western releases of Chinese VNs - sadly, with inconsistent translation quality; Notch - The Innocent LunA, Oblivious Garden).

roseVeRte (Japanese doujin circle specialized in otome VNs; How to Take Off Your Mask; Cafe 0).

NoBreadStudio (EVN developer from Poland, authors of mystery/romance VN SoulSet).

Neoclassic Games (Italian EVN developer, authors of Elisa: the Innkeeper).

Sierra Lee Games (EVN developer, author of the yandere horror title Crimson Gray).

Gosatsu Visual Novels (EVN developer, authors of SHINRAI - Broken Beyond Despair).

NVLMaker (Chinese VN publisher; Gaokao.Love.100Days, Season of 12 Colors).

Nyu Media (doujin game localization company, publishers of the English version of Cherry Tree High Comedy Club).

Hikari Field (VN localization company from China, occasionally producing English releases; Tayutama 2, Magical Charming!).

Träumendes Mädchen (EVN developer; Ambre, Garden of Oblivion).

Tranquil Studios (EVN developer, authors of Oakwood Academy of Spells and Sorcery).

Goldbar Games (EVN developer, authors of the freeware title Detective Butler: Maiden Voyage Murder).

Deadline Softs (EVN developer, authors of Blue Bird).

Kurenaibook (JP developer, author of futa VN Ayakashigami)

Mystery Corgi (EVN programmer and GUI designer, co-developer of AIdol).

Mikołaj Spychał (VN developer from Poland, author of Jake's Love Story).

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

I think you should also add Frontwing.

Nekonyansoft has published one quality title on steam so far and is working on more at the moment so they might be worth adding.

Sol Press is also working on quality titles though they haven't released anything yet.

Also if you want to find the different publishers in the west you can use my list of all VNs officially released in the west since I have the publishers there as well and most of them have at least published something on steam. Of course you would have to check the quality of their VNs before adding the company, but at least it should be somewhat usefull to make sure you don't forget a company.

8 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

I think you should also add Frontwing.

Nekonyansoft has published one quality title on steam so far and is working on more at the moment so they might be worth adding.

Sol Press is also working on quality titles though they haven't released anything yet.

Also if you want to find the different publishers in the west you can use my list of all VNs officially released in the west since I have the publishers there as well and most of them have at least published something on steam. Of course you would have to check the quality of their VNs before adding the company, but at least it should be somewhat usefull to make sure you don't forget a company.

Well, a publisher/developer profile is something a company have to make themselves, they're not automatically created, so I can only include those that already made the move (for this reason, I would ask for any recommendations to come with an appropriate link ;) ).

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 hour ago, mikolajspy said:

This might be a bit self-promotion, but still on subject.

I hope that being just one, small, indie dev guy still counts me as EVN developer :P In next months I'll have another title released.

https://store.steampowered.com/developer/mikolajspy

I think I will have to make a separate section for small developers, even Lupiesoft, which got quite a lot of attention with Mutiny!!, is still a studio with one niche game in their catalogue. I guess Lupiesoft have a bit too much of an actual following to go to that segment, but I will still need it for the list to be easily usable. :>

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

I've made another run through the Creator list, I think by this point there'll be much fewer new ones showing up. I'm basically just waiting for PixelFade and NekoNyan to finally set up theirs and it's ready to go. I'll just shout out to both on Twitter I guess. :P

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

• 6 months later...