AX - Anime Expo 2018 News & Announcements

Arunaru tweeted the following - Sitting at the panel now. Rance IX is close to done with TL, no work is done on X, neither are coming before Sengoku/Quest and it's more a statement they'll happen eventually. Does not mean 01/03 won't happen. That's all for now

To be honest, it's a little hard to get excited by new Rance announcements when MangaGamer still has two other Rance games in their backlog waiting to be released. And we all expected these announcements to happen at some point anyway.

For people wondering about 01/02/03, those games are fairly short and we probably won't see X for at least two more years, maybe even more. I wouldn't be surprised if the remakes get translated and released before X, even though X was announced first. I really hope MangaGamer at least releases 03 first.

8 minutes ago, the tales of Sora said:

no translation for rance 1 remake? i was waiting for it to get translated so i can play the rest of the series,I won't wait anymore where should i start from the translated ones?

I think 6 is the start of a new story arc and works on its own, but it comes bundled with 5D and that one is very short and introduces a few of the characters in 6, so you may as well start with 5D.

Edited by Decay

On 8.7.2018 at 8:08 AM, littleshogun said:

Announcement 2 - Lilcycle

27171.jpg

This first all-ages title by PARTICLE is based on a series of yuri drama CDs. The main characters are new idol Yuuno, student teacher Tamaki, and hall monitor and ninja Saeka. The story is focused on their triangle relationship, although the other 12 girls from the drama CDs will also show up, sometimes with surprising pairings. Instead of a single protagonist, the player can switch the viewpoint among the girls.

Recently I found out that this VN actually exist and I was really sad there was no translation yet. Because there aren't many Yuri VN in english out there.
However now I am really happy that Mangagamer will release Lilycle.
I am already looking forward to read it and I am really exciten :wub: :wub: :wub:

PS: The name of this VNs is Lilycle :)

Edited by -soraa

MangaGamer should rename themselves to RanceGamer since it's almost everything they're doing now. It's almost magical how pretty much every Alice Soft title that what would interest me like Daiteikoku, Pascha3, Tsumamigui3 or even Oyako Rankan is ignored just to be able to bring even more Rance titles to the west. Must be great being a Rance fan, since MG seems to be exclusively dedicated to them now.

Well, I guess that means going back to the text hooker now, nothing to see here.

Man, what a disappointing AX. :vinty:

Edited by ChaosRaven

1 hour ago, novurdim said:

Only one proper eroge announcement and it's Rance. And then Rance again. Not sure if I have ever been more disappointed in MG. Are they snubbing their fans or something?

I'm not sure I understand.  People clamored for Rance so much that MangaGamer had to straight up tell them "look if nobody buys Beat Blades Haruka cause you all want Rance, you're not going to get Rance", and they are still pretty vocal about wanting the rest of the series.  How is announcing more Rance 'snubbing their fans'?

Same for BL.  I personally am not interested in BL (at all!) but MangaGamer has a healthy and growing group of fans of otome and BL.  Throwing them a bone is the farthest thing from 'snubbing their fans' MangaGamer could possibly be doing, since BL/otome fans are typically not interested in the standard male-oriented fare that is 95% of MangaGamer's output.  They would be much more open to accusations of 'snubbing their fans' if they were to ignore that demographic entirely!

2 hours ago, novurdim said:

Only one proper eroge announcement and it's Rance. And then Rance again. Not sure if I have ever been more disappointed in MG. Are they snubbing their fans or something?

Oh, stop being a baby. MG has been releasing a shitload of other stuff lately. Don't throw a tantrum just because they're throwing fans of other stuff a bone this con.

I see lots of people complaining here about MG's announcements, but to be quite honest, I think they won this AX, with Denpasoft coming as a close second. I didn't expect them to annonounce two more Rance titles so soon (and one of these is so long I am genuinely surprised they aren't scared of doing it... my guess is they may split it in 3 parts due to its insane length). That, and LuckyDog1 is popular from what I have seen so all in all, their announcements seem to be the best. And will probably sell the best in the end due to Rance fandom. JAST and Denpa also had some good announcements, but I think MG won with two very good gameplay titles.

They most definitely won the AX, but because the others actually didn't step up to par. Denpasoft was quite ok, but my actual winner is Aksys.
Why them? Actually a very good Horror-Title. That wasn't really to be expected. "Shiin" is really a title I would want a PSVITA for.

On 4/7/2018 at 11:15 PM, tymmur said:

Am I the only one wondering why MangaGamer is bringing MIN-NARAKEN? It points towards the announcement with an old partner is Alicesoft, but I can't spot an obvious VN to match here.

Mystery solved. VNDB added him to Rance X yesterday. I was right that he wasn't listed with an obvious candidate for the next release. Had he been listed, then we might have had a chance of predicting Rance X being announced. Once again it makes so much sense in retrospect, but not before you have seen the ending.

5 hours ago, VonKlaus said:

nice only remake remain to announce from rance i dont believe

Rance IV -Legacy of the Sect-

Rance 4.1 -Save the Medicine Plant!-

Rance 4.2 -Angel Army-

Kichikuou Rance

All those have fan translations though. Only the remakes of 01-02-03 lacks translations or announcements of translations.

5 hours ago, Decay said:

For people wondering about 01/02/03, those games are fairly short and we probably won't see X for at least two more years, maybe even more. I wouldn't be surprised if the remakes get translated and released before X, even though X was announced first. I really hope MangaGamer at least releases 03 first.

Short is an understatement. Rance 1 came on 4 floppies in 1989 and it's apparently 1.5 MB compressed. Most likely they used DD disks, giving it a total of 2.8 MB available. That is for everything: script, graphics, audio etc. For comparison a few posts back it's mentioned that Rance X use 8 MB for the script alone. Even though the remakes are claimed to have 10 times as much text as the originals, translating those would likely feel nearly instant compared to Rance X.

If I am to take a guess to why Rance X is announced and not the early titles, the reason would be that they know Rance X will take ages (years) to translate. If they stop Rance releases while translating, the Rance hype might die out before they finish. Right now they announced it, they have 3 announced, yet not released, 3 remakes and 4 old titles without remakes, making it a total of 10 unreleased Rance titles. This allows them to release a Rance title every 10th of the Rance X translation time, which will make it seem like a steady stream of "new" titles and Rance will have a better chance of still being hype when Rance X is released. The fact that a number of those titles aren't marathon readings just makes it easier to do them in parallel with Rance X.

Somebody mentioned something of a possible remake of Rance 4 (could be a fake rumor for all I know). If that is true and one will be released in Japan at some point in a not too distant future, it's entirely possible that Alicesoft and MG plan together and MG will release 01-02-03-04 within reasonable time of each other. If that's the case, it's possible that MG is translating the remakes now, but can't announce it until the 04 remake is released in Japan or something like that.

We can speculate all we want. The only thing we can really do is to wait for MG to do their job and we will likely get every single Rance title. It's just a question of when and which order.

27 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

I see lots of people complaining here about MG's announcements, but to be quite honest, I think they won this AX, with Denpasoft coming as a close second.

I don't really get the "who won AX". I don't think that much about publishers. I think in terms of individual titles and for the most part, it's one title from each publisher (if any). I consider AX itself to be the winner. I remember being disappointed with Anime Boston since I'm not really interested in anything released there. I have a completely different feeling with AX. I can't say I saw major surprises though. More Rance announcements, but it was to be expected, particularly with a guest from Alicesoft. As I wrote on page one, we kind of knew the announcement from an old partner would be Alicesoft and most likely Rance. The question was which specific title. Majo Koi Nikki is another one to look forward to and while I was a bit surprised that Denpasoft announced it with them as publisher, it is a title we all knew as an upcoming release.

In other words no big surprises regarding great titles coming out of nowhere, but at the same time it is likely the release event that I'm the most happy with out of all the events I have paid attention to while they were in progress.

Guys, don't get hysterical over my post. It is pretty buffling not to get a single decent non-nukige/-yuri/yaoi/-otome announcement at like... fifth (?) con in a row, while MG reveals plenty of yuri/yaoi and even one or two otome at the same timeframe, but everything has clearly been said in jest.

I do understand their desire to diversify their catalogue, especially since the aforementioned stuff often sells better, I was just honestly expecting them to finally throw a bone or two for the old time's sake at least at their biggest con like at AX 2017. Especially since last year's Otakon was exactly the same: yuri, yaoi and Rance.

7 hours ago, novurdim said:

Nay, you are wrong. The deal between Nitro+ and JAST is exactly the only known case of "western publisher exclusivity" or at least was widely marketed as such. Every contract is unique so you can't really say that there's no such thing simply because Innocent Gray or Purple Soft have no exclusive partner. But, well, sooner or later that contract should expire, I hope...

So what about Steins;Gate? Steins;Gate 0? Steins;Gate Linear Bounded Phenogram? Chaos;Child? Phantom of Inferno? Robotics;Notes?

7 hours ago, Daydreamer97 said:

Thank god I'm 18 and can buy stuff without my parents knowing.

Just like a 12 year old french girl!

Edited by Nier

43 minutes ago, tymmur said:

Short is an understatement. Rance 1 came on 4 floppies in 1989 and it's apparently 1.5 MB compressed. Most likely they used DD disks, giving it a total of 2.8 MB available. That is for everything: script, graphics, audio etc. For comparison a few posts back it's mentioned that Rance X use 8 MB for the script alone. Even though the remakes are claimed to have 10 times as much text as the originals, translating those would likely feel nearly instant compared to Rance X.

01 was a fully redone game with lots of new content and story stuff, was it not?

17 minutes ago, Decay said:

01 was a fully redone game with lots of new content and story stuff, was it not?

Yes, the argument being that even if the script were 10 times the size of the original, it would still seems small compared to Rance X.

Spoiler

Even though the remakes are claimed to have 10 times as much text as the originals, translating those would likely feel nearly instant compared to Rance X.

Whoever "wins" the AX is the one that announce things you're interested in! :P

I liked Aksys announcement, since they were the only ones that give my Vita a purpose to exist :kosame:  Death Mark sounds quite nice, from the little a saw.

And hell yeah MG, now the west will finally see the gloriousness of Luckydog1! And I'll have more uncensored violent mafia good shit to consume! The yuri seemed fluffy and extra sweet and filled with handholding so I might check it out.

9 hours ago, kyrt said:

They still have Otakon and Anime NYC that they will be attending and they will likely announce stuff at each.

this and the fact they´ve usually announced gameplay titles such as rance etc at otakon, so this time stuff just being the other way round, don´t get the whole "i´m upset with them, mg how could u crap".