AX - Anime Expo 2018 News & Announcements

38 minutes ago, novurdim said:

Still depressed that Nitro+ can't share their licenses with other major players on the western VN market.

Who says they can't? They certainly don't have a exclusivity licensing with JAST, the fact that Kara no Shojo was licensed by MangaGamer and Flowers was licensing by JAST USA should show you there is is no such thing as "publisher exclusivity", publishers license titles not developers.

5 hours ago, Veshurik said:

I'm still interested will "Majo Koi Nikki" TL based on fan-translation... Because fan-translation was almost finished... And now they licensed it? Hm...

No one to say anything about that?

Hello, sorry for the delay, kind of a long night last night. I just updated the Majo Koi thread as well, but yeah, the Denpasoft release of Majo Koi Nikki will be based off the fan translation project. I would say "it will be the fan translation", except that that hasn't been QCed yet, let alone made into a release, and you wouldn't want an un-QCed unimplemented translation!

8 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

1: Not really sure if I'm interested in that one. Currently I'm reading Palette's previous title Saku Saku and while the characters are overall better written than expected, the plot is just... dreadful. I find it generally difficult to motivate me for short cash grab moege's like Sakura or Nekopara series anymore, so I'll probably pass on this one.

9 is a pretty straightforward Chuunige, at least as much as I've seen of it (volume 1). Also, as @Kiriririri mentioned, cliffhangers are definitely the order of the day for the series, and the series isn't finished yet in Japan, which can be a source of frustration for some. That said, the game is fun, and has very pretty sprite art and a few solid characters. But, usual disclaimer: I'm working on it, so my view is a bit biased :P

Lastly, I'm gonna put in one more plug for the Re;lord series, which some friends of mine worked on. The gameplay is actually really good! It needs some rebalancing in volume 1, but from what I hear, they actually did a great job tuning it and making the gameplay angle more entertaining in volume 2. Even better, while volume 1 is pretty much pure comedy, volume 2 starts to reveal the big plot motivating the series (which is finished in Japan and totals 3 volumes, though SP/Denpasoft has only announced volumes 1 and 2 so far). At any rate, I exhort you all to go buy Re;lord volume 1, and then volume 2 when it comes out, so they feel motivated to pick up volume 3 :D

1 hour ago, El Mugaro said:

"Absolute trash" that is PERFECTLY readable with some minor typos here and there. Everyone who wanted to read it has already done so a year ago.

You can edit machine translation to be readable too but is it good? No

Apparently I skip a lot of announcement lol, so I'll just give a quick impression for all of the announcements other than Mangagamer.

Spike Chunsoft - Good that we finally know when we'll get Shibuya Scramble at September 4th later. Also interesting to see that we got YU-NO remake for PC which is a welcome news albeit a redundant one, because we already have the translation for that and the older graphic is not that bad compared to Higurashi even though YU-NO is 1995 VN. Not quite interested with Uchikoshi work, so whatever.

Frontwing - Too bad there's no new announcement from them, but at least the Steam store for Island opened is good enough to me here.

Aksys - Otome, so pass.

Sekai/Denpasoft - They should announce ReLord 2 in the first place because ReLord itself is a trilogy, so it's only natural that Sekai announced the second part of the trilogy. Speaking about middle part of trilogy, I hope Daybreak engine work is going well and we'll be able to see this year release. Congratulation for Majokoi, and I hope that we can see this at 2018 end as planned even though knowing Sekai it's not easy. Oh, and this is the first time I look forward to nukige Harukuru (Yes I know what kind of VN that Harukuru was), although it's quite natural outcome as well though with two works from Harukuru illustrator and writer (Work separately) announced by Sekai last year - I just hope that they'll release this in the near future if not at this year.

I think that's all for what I can say about the announcements for now.

Edited by littleshogun

7 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Frontwing - Too bad there's no new announcement from them, but at least the Steam store for Island opened is good enough to me here.

errm, pretty sure they´ve announced lilitales, which is a quite good and entertaining title in itself (yeah i know them gals get raped, tortured and else, but so what?)
all in all more surprised about the fact fw being the ones bringing it over. same with their short teaser on twitter (totally nsfw). though a free ero patch is guarantied to come, probably everything mosaic free as well, i´m still more than doubtful how it´s going to work out coming to steam.

lilitales is a dungeoncrawler, not really an rpg like makina. didn´t feel much repetative to me whilst playing and overall its setting/worldbuilding was pretty well done. just don´t go in expecting pure kawaii gals swinging swords, moe & fluff, because there won´t be much of these.

Edited by SaintOfVoid

5 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

You can edit machine translation to be readable too but is it good? No

That patch didn't use a machine translation. It's a proper one, but a bit rough at the edges. Dracu Riot is not some plotge with heavy prose like Dies Irae or Subahibi, so that leaked patch is good enough for the common reader. I'm looking forward to Tenshin Ranman instead.

6 hours ago, SaintOfVoid said:

errm, pretty sure they´ve announced lilitales, which is a quite good and entertaining title in itself (yeah i know them gals get raped, tortured and else, but so what?)

Now that you mention it, yeah Frontwing did announce Lilitales. But since this is just a dungeon crawler RPG with some questionable sex scenes, I'm more or less just pass this. Not to say that kind of RPG is not interesting, but my focus on Frontwing was more on Island so Lilitales is kind of slipped my radar here.

Speaking about Noble Works, I guess it's almost inevitable that NekoNyan would win the license war with they'll gonna release Sanoba at October 26th later. Granted right now Sekai did have more Yuzusoft VNs compared to NekoNyan, but I wouldn't be surprised if Yuzusoft here will start to considering to move to NekoNyan if they release Sanoba and Sekai still wouldn't release any of Yuzusoft VNs. Keep in mind that the situation might be change in the future, so what I say in regard of Yuzusoft might be change in the future. Oh and Dracu Riot translation is quite fine even though some people may say otherwise, so if some of you want to already playing it while waiting for Sekai release you can try the current version of that and see by yourself.

6 hours ago, El Mugaro said:

That patch didn't use a machine translation. It's a proper one, but a bit rough at the edges. Dracu Riot is not some plotge with heavy prose like Dies Irae or Subahibi, so that leaked patch is good enough for the common reader. I'm looking forward to Tenshin Ranman instead.

I'm a bit biased since I was the dracu riot editor, but I dispute the notion that only sophisticated prose needs to be written well. I find it really important for comedy as well, and Dracu-Riot is a comedy game first and foremost. The leaked patch read halfway decently on the surface, but the moment you stopped and thought about almost any exchange of dialogue in the game, you'd find a ton of little inconsistencies that break the flow. The patch actually contained thousands of unfixed mistranslations on the micro scale.

So while you could accurately glean the bigger picture from the translation, most of the dialogue felt a little off. The comedy that relied on absurd situations all still worked, but most of the banter lacked impact and wasn't as entertaining as it could've been. My team and I fixed all of those little errors, and I think the game is a lot more entertaining as a result (though of course I would, lol). That, in addition to us trying to make the prose more natural in general as well as a (light-handed) attempt at making the different character personalities more distinct meant that over 70% of the lines were changed from that patch, so the changes probably aren't as minor as you're thinking. Though I perfectly understand why someone wouldn't want to read the whole VN again if they already read the fan tl version.

Edited by Decay

It looks like Nekonyansoft will have two big titles to announce in August (possibly at Otakon?); they have been in Japan the last month or so which should be interesting. 

Anyone know if Mangagamer plans to stream their panel...no news is bad news. Surprised there is no stream this time around. They have someone on site to tweet though apparently (attempt to anyways)

Mangagamer's panel is starting, and I'll list their three announcement at this post here.

Edit - Now that they finished their announcements, here's the list of the announced VNs. I'll comment more on this later.

Announcement 1 - Luckydog1

22076.jpg

Gian Carlo (also known as the "Lucky Dog") and 4 other members of mafia group called CR-5 are locked in prison. One day, they all receive letters from their boss, stating that if Gian successfully breaks all five of them out of the prison, he will become the boss of the CR-5. The group decides to give it a try.

Announcement 2 - Lilcycle

27171.jpg

This first all-ages title by PARTICLE is based on a series of yuri drama CDs. The main characters are new idol Yuuno, student teacher Tamaki, and hall monitor and ninja Saeka. The story is focused on their triangle relationship, although the other 12 girls from the drama CDs will also show up, sometimes with surprising pairings. Instead of a single protagonist, the player can switch the viewpoint among the girls.

Announcement 3 - Rance IX

25892.jpg

The Helman Empire is the oldest of the countries on the continent, as well as being the most powerful for a long time. However, corruption had ruined the nation and most live in extreme poverty. It felt like it was only a matter of time before an internal revolt would break out or they would be invaded by a neighbouring country. Then the former Prince Patton Misnarge, who had disappeared after failing to conquer a neighbouring country, returned after training hard to keep his promise of bringing back glory to his country. To aid in his revolution, he recruited the best and most courageous men that he had met during his travels, including the most powerful warrior Rance.

PS - All description was taken from VNDB page of the respective VNs.

PPS - Nevermind, they decided to add the additional very good announcement here, so here's their additional announcement here.

Bonus Announcement - Rance X

33706.jpg

For over a thousand years, the Continent has been divided into two sides: the Monster Realm, home of the all-powerful Dark Lords and the monster hoards that they command, and the Human Realm, home of humankind and its kin.

In the year LP0007, the forces of the monster army suddenly invade the Human Realm, striking with both overwhelming strength and ferocity.

The civil war between Dark Lords, which had been locked in a stalemate for several years, had finally ended. Its victor, the Dark Lord Kayblis, was declared ruler of all of monsterkind.

His first decree was to take back the human territories using all of the forces at his disposal.

While the major human nations of the world attempt to fight off the invading threat, the immense power difference between their armies and the united monster army quickly becomes clear.

Humanity's strength steadily begins to waver in the face of the seemingly unstoppable foe.

The Human Realm's major world leaders hold a summit to discuss a means of combating the monsters, but are unable to reach an agreement between each other.

Just as all hope seems lost, the man known as Rance stands up:

"All of you just follow me, okay? I'll smash-up all the monster armies no problem!"

While the summit's attendees are understandably shaken by this bold declaration, they quickly accept it.

The Kingdom of Leazas' Queen Lia Parapara Leazas.
The Magic Kingdom of Zeth's Viceroy Magic the Gandhi.
The Helman Republic's President Sheila Helman.
The Free Cities Alliance's representative Copandon Dott.
The eastern nation of JAPAN's ruler Oda Kou.
The world's largest religion the AL Church's Pope Crook Mofus.

It is because of these six women, who have each witnessed Rance's heroism save the world from crisis firsthand, that the agreement is reached.

Under Rance, humanity is united as one.

Thus, the great war to determine the future of the Continent begins. 

Edited by littleshogun

It seems we have to wait for Otakon for the actual good title announcements...although to be fair they do have a lot they are working on right now. 1 boys love, 1 yuri, and 1 rance title pretty lacking hopefully otakon is better.

Seriously MG. How are you gonna let JAST and Sekai Project upstage you? All those translators taking projects elsewhere for better pay has definitely hit the quality of licenses that they're getting quite hard. :chaika: Definitely the worst AX they've had since I started paying attention to these announcement panels back in 2016.

Only one proper eroge announcement and it's Rance. And then Rance again. Not sure if I have ever been more disappointed in MG. Are they snubbing their fans or something?

14 hours ago, Nier said:

Who says they can't? They certainly don't have a exclusivity licensing with JAST, the fact that Kara no Shojo was licensed by MangaGamer and Flowers was licensing by JAST USA should show you there is is no such thing as "publisher exclusivity", publishers license titles not developers.

Nay, you are wrong. The deal between Nitro+ and JAST is exactly the only known case of "western publisher exclusivity" or at least was widely marketed as such. Every contract is unique so you can't really say that there's no such thing simply because Innocent Gray or Purple Soft have no exclusive partner. But, well, sooner or later that contract should expire, I hope...

This year release from Mangagamer is already enough to make up for their shortcoming though, so I've no complain on them. Anyway, as for Rance IX here the combat was basically revamped version of Mamatoto. I'll look forward to this eventual release, and hopefully we can get X announced by the next year.

Edit - Never mind what I say in regard of X earlier here, because it was announced along with IX. I just hope that it'll be released together.

Edited by littleshogun

35 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Seriously MG. How are you gonna let JAST and Sekai Project upstage you? All those translators taking projects elsewhere for better pay has definitely hit the quality of licenses that they're getting quite hard. :chaika: Definitely the worst AX they've had since I started paying attention to these announcement panels back in 2016.

As I just mentioned Mangagamer also goes to more conventions than any of the other visual novel companies. They still have Otakon and Anime NYC that they will be attending and they will likely announce stuff at each. They announced a total of 8 titles since the beginning of the year and likely have more. That said mangagamer consistently releases better quality (usually) and quicker releases than the other visual novel companies. Also you are probably right in your prediction. 

edit: I originally thought they might also release an otome in one of the next conventions I forgot about Steam Prison. So scratch that prediction. (nvm kouryuu hinted at an 18+ otome)