Jump to content

Is there a fine line between a moege and a charage?


Recommended Posts

I've explained this before, but most charage fall under the much larger 'moege' umbrella.  Where this is confusing you is probably references to the term 'pure moege' vs 'charage'. 

To be a moege, all you need is for the game to be filled with visuals and character mannerisms in the moe style (for old examples, gobi like 'uguu~', character archetypes like the classic tsundere).  To be a 'pure moege', you need this to be the primary content of the game (minimal character development, no strong central plot, character interactions based solely upon surface character qualities born of the archetype in question, etc).  A charage, on the other hand, will have more involved character development (as you get to know the heroines, their personalities become more complex, you learn about their pasts, their flaws, etc), and there is often a heroine-centric plot in each heroine path that provides at least a bare-bones framework for the romantic parts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

I don't really like these terms myself because I feel like everyone who uses them has their own understanding of what they consider moege and charage. There's a reason why VNDB rejected corresponding tags for both of them.

A valid reason... they are pretty much blanket/umbrella terms.  However, it is also the only thing that fits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Benji Price said:

I found the explanation pretty simple yet solid. So , the pretty/lovely x cation series would fit into pure moege, and magical marriage lunatics into charage ? 

Pretty much, though I have other reasons for being irritated with MML (nerfing non-human heroines always does that to me). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Benji Price said:

I found the explanation pretty simple yet solid. So , the pretty/lovely x cation series would fit into pure moege, and magical marriage lunatics into charage ? 

Really?  Because "minimal character development, no strong central plot, character interactions based solely upon surface character qualities born of the archetype in question, etc " seems to me to describe everything that's wrong with Magical Marriage Lunatics.  Or at least of the two routes that I played.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Clephas said:

Pretty much, though I have other reasons for being irritated with MML (nerfing non-human heroines always does that to me). 

Know what you mean , though in this particular case that's the appealing side of MML , or seems to me at least. However, in Saku saku 's case i was pretty much dissappointed with Ann's alter ego.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Really?  Because "minimal character development, no strong central plot, character interactions based solely upon surface character qualities born of the archetype in question, etc " seems to me to describe everything that's wrong with Magical Marriage Lunatics.  Or at least of the two routes that I played.

At least there's the back story of how the prota met the heroines. A big load of crap, yet the prota is forced to changee his lifestyle nevertheless. On the other hand there're VN in which your sole purpose from the get go is to fall in love (hatsukoi 1/1, lovely/pretty x cation series).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...