How many VNs have erotic content compared to ones that don't?

Happiness+

I was sure I'd done an analysis post on this, but it turns out I never posted it publicly. This graph was an early draft and the data is a bit out of date, but it's still accurate. I analysed the kind of content people were reading in the VNs they rated each month, to see how the popularity of sexual content was changing over time.

unknown.png

While some degree of sexual content has generally always been the norm (it still accounts for over 60% of read VNs), it's generally been dropping these past couple of years, likely due to the increasing popularity of EVNs where sexual content has historically been quite rare. There might also have been a Steam effect back then, as at the time, Steam didn't allow nudity in VNs, so all-age VNs were getting a popularity boost. That's been changing recently though, Steam allows nudity, and EVNs are beginning to embrace their more hedonistic side. I'll have to do another updated chart on this sometime.

Well, the question would be way more meaningful if we only talk about Japanese VNs and exclude otome, which generally don't have adult content, and doujin VNs, which quite often don't bother with it. And also nukige, since they also wouldn't add anything meaningful to the overall picture. I'd guess that if we only count relatively high-profile Japanese galge, the number will be even higher than 80%.

How much? A hundreds.

But seriously, it's more or less was at around 19,000 or so VNs that have sexual contents (My guess only). Keep in mind that some VN that didn't have sexual content tag could have one, and not to mention alot of nukige over there. So in short it's hard to see the exact number of how much the VNs that did have sexual contents, and I'm sure that counting it would be very long and boring task there.

Edited by littleshogun

16 minutes ago, Happiness+ said:

Yeah, I played it after playing Galaxy Angel sim date RPG. I completely forgot it about it.

Thanks for reminding me of that great game.

No shit that's how I got started playing Visual Novels as well

I'm going to hope that Mint was your favorite character