/r/visualnovels is doing a new community voted VN recommendation chart. Feel free to vote as long as you have a reddit account

They want a mix of genres, recommendations for any reader and even ones for beginners in particular. Keep that in mind going in.

Also make sure to just vote with the vndb ID (e.g. "11" for Fate/Stay Night)

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/8ombib/rvisualnovels_2018_recommendation_chart_voting/

Edited by NowItsAngeTime

I find recommendation charts pretty useless because they only take into account the tastes of the recommender and not the recommendee. I also notice these are only for VNs with an english translation, so what's this "beginner level VN" business? Entry level english use or "mild to no perviness" involved? Eh.

2 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

Why post reddit stuff on Fuwo if you need reddit account to vote.

If people have reddit accounts they should read r/vns in the first place if they care about this voting tbh.

Because a Reddit account is obviously a rare commodity that only most dedicated r/visualnovels readers possess. Also, only those that check out Reddit every day might be interested in what will be pinned (for years possibly) as recommendations at the central point of the western VN community. :)

52 minutes ago, Zander said:

We're gonna build our own recommendations chart, and make r/visualnovels pay for it!

How did we even get here?  :notlikemiya:

52 minutes ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

Just speaking the truth. /r/vns has done two, 4chan has done 1. How come FuwaNovel never made their own even when they were much bigger back in the day when they allowed hosted downloads???

We have a full subforums of recommendations, it's not like a chart is the only format available. :vinty: And it's not to critisize anyone, I'm just not sure why the whole discussion went in this absurd direction. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 hour ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

Just speaking the truth. /r/vns has done two, 4chan has done 1. How come FuwaNovel never made their own even when they were much bigger back in the day when they allowed hosted downloads???

Because all our moderators are ASS

7 hours ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

Eh, community recommendation charts are just there for communities to congratulate and jerk each other over their favourite games. They are of questionable use to people needing recommendations.

BTW, I'm taking a look at Reddit's previous "recommendation chart" and I have a question. Why is Kanon one of the "least" newbie friendly entries? Kanon was actually one of the first visual novels I read and I had no trouble with it. Also why would Fate Stay Night be a "newbie" selection? Isn't the route structure one of the more complex examples in the visual novel fandom? Would newbies know that Fate will be different (yet similar) to Unlimited Blade Works?

Why is Hakuouki, an accessible game that was also released on the handheld, considered less newbie friendly than Second Reproduction which is a game that needs to be patched?

Why is Utawarerumono considered newbie friendly when every time you save (with modern operating systems) it crashes? Then you need to do some funkie things to get the game working. Would newbies enjoy that extra dollop of frustration?

Tsukihime is considered more newbie friendly than Kanon? What? Oh, and more newbie friendly than Ef, good to know ...

6 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Eh, community recommendation charts are just there for communities to congratulate and jerk each other over their favourite games. They are of questionable use to people needing recommendations.

BTW, I'm taking a look at Reddit's previous "recommendation chart" and I have a question. Why is Kanon one of the "least" newbie friendly entries? Kanon was actually one of the first visual novels I read and I had no trouble with it. Also why would Fate Stay Night be a "newbie" selection? Isn't the route structure one of the more complex examples in the visual novel fandom? Would newbies know that Fate will be different (yet similar) to Unlimited Blade Works?

Why is Hakuouki, an accessible game that was also released on the handheld, considered less newbie friendly than Second Reproduction which is a game that needs to be patched?

Why is Utawarerumono considered newbie friendly when every time you save (with modern operating systems) it crashes? Then you need to do some funkie things to get the game working. Would newbies enjoy that extra dollop of frustration?

Tsukihime is considered more newbie friendly than Kanon? What? Oh, and more newbie friendly than Ef, good to know ...

I was the one who made that chart for /r/vns, so to answer your question, it was decided via a series of polls on the subreddit.

First, we collected nominations for each genre. Then we put the list of nominations to the vote with the 5 most voted for VNs in each genre making it onto the chart (unless that VN had gotten more votes in another genre). Some of those genres ended up having a pretty small selection of nominations. Once we'd taken out VNs already allocated to more popular genres, some less popular genres barely had enough nominated VNs to fill the chart.

Then once we had our list of recommended VNs for each genre, we put them all on another poll asking users to rate them on visuals/story/newbie friendliness. Those with a higher average newbie rating were placed to the left of the chart. Some of the less popular VNs (otome and yaoi stuff in particular) didn't even get any votes. So me and insanityy just set their ratings to whatever we thought best.

24 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

>community voted VN recommendation chart

>only /r/ users can vote

Reddit being autistic again.

I think it's a measure of preventing spamvotes without IP blocking? Considering it's made in google forms and not through any kind of (semi-)professional survey tool that would guarantee a good quality of results. + making a Reddit account is not a high barrier to cross.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak