Your favorite routes + endings

Sparteh

Routes - the most unique aspect of visual novels. Ability to choose your own story and how it ends is what distinguishes VNs from other formats. Each VN can have from 1 to dozen endings. So I thought it would be fun to know what are your top 3/5/7/10 favorite route+ending combinations and why.

Note, don't forget spoilers where necessary. 

My top 7:

• Umineko Magic end - brilliant ending for my favorite VN. From themes to music and execution - I found everything perfect.
  • Steins Gate true end - same as above
  • Dies Irae Marie and Rea - loved both routes. Because of these 2 routes and endings DI became my favorite battle royal. Though battles were better in Rea's route, I liked Marie more as heroine.
  • Baldr Sky dive - Sora. Loved how everything was connected in the end. Concepts and execution were great to.
  • Silverio Vendetta - Vendetta. It is a rare case where chuunige actually fulfills and actually adapts things it borrows from legends this well. Zephyr in this route became one of my favorite MC of VNs of all time. Vendetta was a great heroine as well.
  • F/SN Realta Nua/Avalon end. Loved the narration.
Edited by Sparteh

That's a good topic, routes can change everything from little events (what the protagonist does) to really big things (changing who the protagonist really is). Right now I'm not sure which routes would actually make it to my top 15 but I think it would at least include:

• Rewrite Moon route - it was short but after going through all the heroines routes it felt perfect and connected everything. It also has one of my favorite VN scenes ever.
  • Euphoria True ending - this one was hard for me (not really into hardcore stuff) but god it was satisfying, the music for this ending was a masterpiece and it actually made me cry.
  • F/SN HF route - this route made me respect Shiro and I consider him one of my favorite MCs.
  • YMK Aeka/Nekoko - I loved Aeka's route but the best ending for me was Nekoko's.
1 hour ago, Sparteh said:

Steins Gate true end

Gotta agree with you on that one, the true end was simply brilliant.

For whatever reason, meme/wtf bad endings are the ones that I most easily remember :vanilla:

But since we're talking about actual good ending/routes, these are the most impactful to me:

• F/SN: UBW is my favorite route by far, but ending gotta hand the prize to Sparks Liner High. It's one of the best moments in the VN and in my head it's the canon ending for HF and no one will ever convince me otherwise (I know every ending is canon, but eh);
  • Tokyo Alice: It was so fun, until the game threw a feels brick in my face. Daaaaaamn. Didn't felt like typical nakige forced drama, so I loved it;
  • Saya no Uta: Hospital one was very memorable and I liked Kouji's one a lot;
  • Shingakkou: (what a surprise) Neil's route is amazing, but August's ending was the closest I got to cry (not only on the inside) because of a VN, it was incredibly beautiful and emotional.

Honorable mention: Cross Channel. I was ready to give it a low score, then the ending came. I forgot most of CC by now, but I still remember that ending quite well.

Starting with the obvious

Galaxy Angel, Moonlit Lovers and Eternal Lovers: Mint's routes and endings

G-senjou no Maou: The true route + ending,

Fate Route ending and UBW ending

Tomoyo's ending and Kyou's ending in Clannad

Lucia's route in Rewrite

I don't think I can overstate how much I adore Sora's route in Ever17. Her character has a lot of depth in my opinion, especially compared to the other characters in the VN (which are all oddballs or obnoxious in some fashion). And her route both has most of my favorite scenes and a really emotional ending (which, incidentally, is the moment where Karma became one of my favorite VN tunes of all time). 

In a (strikingly) similar fashion, Luna END from Virtue's Last Reward really fucking got to me. Likewise, it's cemented Blue Bird Lamentation as one of my favorite songs ever. Same goes for that VN's true ending and 999's true ending. 

Also, if we're counting chapters/arcs as routes, Watanagashi (Higurashi's second chapter) is a standout. It's a great story from beginning to end, and it's only even more harrowing once you get to Meakashi and understand what's really happened. 

Some routes I enjoyed (or otherwise left an impression on me).

* Michiru's route in Grisaia no Kajitsu. Yeah, her route and her character are pretty odd. But I friggin' love her to death! Her route was also an emotional rollercoaster (it was the first time I ever cried during a game).

* Sachi's route in Grisaia no Kajitsu. DAT ENDING made me tear up so hardcore! That was like a Clannad ending....

Spoiler

The game also went into agonizing detail when it was describing Sachi's panic attacks. I was legit scared....

* Amane's flashback in Grisaia no Kajitsu. That setting still haunts me to a degree, one year after I read it. And the agonizing details the game went into, good grief....

Also the conclusion to that setting in Grisaia no Rakuen ........ was some seriously hardcore stuff....

* Kotori's route in If My Heart Had Wings. Easily the best route in that game. That final climax was a ride and a half.

Spoiler

That bike chase scene that started the whole finale, made me tear up due to how awesome it was, and that vocal theme!

* Pretty much every ending in Clannad made me tear up. So much so that ironically, none of them stand out to me. But Kyou's and Kotomi's routes did stand out to me. And so did ...... THAT scene in the After Story.

* Falsita's route in Symphonic Rain. That plot twist sucker punched me out of nowhere.

* ..... and holy crap Lise's ending in Symphonic Rain was just....

* The routes in ef - the latter tale ...... kept punching me harder, and harder in the feels. That final chapter punched me harder then anything I've read so far.

Hmmm. Tough one to answer. I'm just going to list them but not in order as that'd be too difficult

Haruka route - Little Busters: This route really hit me on a personal level. I thought she was just a pest and silly, but that wound up being a really wrong impression. I do think the route was a bit overdone to elicit feels, but even so the themes it touched on and the struggles she had to face had me riveted to my seat for a long while, and left me thinking about the route even months later. 

Sasami route - Little Busters: As with the Haruka route, this route really hit me on a personal level. I really liked her whole "OHOHOHOHO" ojousama schtick throughout the VN and when it came to her route I didn't know what to expect, so when things started happening I was really really hit hard.

Spoiler

It's so sad and heartbreaking and sweet though, and Sasami herself wound up being an excellent character. I think of all the "magical world" routes that I've read, I liked this one the most. 

That poor cat though...

True route - Steins;Gate: This was really well done.

Spoiler

After you hit "the point" and everything starts going wrong, you realize just how much you've come to care for the characters and especially by the time you get to the Kurisu route you're really hoping things can somehow find a way to work out. Even now, watching the very end of it is enough to send shivers down my spine. I really really liked this route and I think the way it was done really made it feel worthwhile as a happy ending.

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (plus Sunny Day ending). I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with UBW, having watched the anime and thought it was too convoluted, then going back and reading the VN and all three routes in order. It's my favorite route in FS/N though, for a couple of reasons. I'm biased towards tsunderes (especially those with twintails) but Tohsaka is a great example. Not just that but the route itself feels pretty balanced IMO, and the action and events strike the right mix of feels + action + philosophy, where I felt Heaven's Feel went over the top. As for Sunny Day - I don't really like the main ending (it feels kind of just "there" to me) so while Sunny Day is far shorter and less descriptive I thought it made sense even if it is a bit cliche in the end. 

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate - Chisato route: This might be a bit controversial but I liked the route and Chisato herself (again, twintail tsundere :D). I'd say most of the characters were pretty well done, but between the VN's focus on Chisato and the "hook" they used,

Spoiler

by this I mean the bit about her not wanting to eat chocolate because of her brother and looking to Yuuki to help get through/past his passing

I felt was unique and well done without going too far off the rails. That hook, especially, touched on a few themes that I felt were poignant, and though I wasn't entirely happy with the execution it still was a pretty solid, enjoyable, and memorable route.

Edited by snowbell55

+1 for Haruka, Sasami, Chisato and Kotori.

Refrain from LB was great too. I haven't played Clannad yet.

Ame from Dal Segno - that really pulled on my heartstrings, especially since it was one of the first VNs I played...

Lily from Katawa Shoujo

Spoiler

When that music box started playing in the ending...

For many VNs I've read and rated highly, I have hard time picking favorite ending or route, as I liked all of them...

My top Ten VN Routes (regardless of heroine quality).  This list is not in any particular order.

1.  Evolimit Shizuku Route- With three great endings, heroism and redemption in spades, and villainy on a universal scale... it just doesn't get better than this.  I cried, I cheered, I rejoiced, and I was satisfied.

2. Reminiscence Aki's Route- Best imouto route ever.  The twisted relationship between the protagonist and Aki and the hidden feelings involved...

3. Hikoukigumo no Mukougawa, Eiri's route- Probably one of the single deepest, most powerful charage routes I've ever encountered, with the single best charage ending I've ever read.

4. Akeiro Kaikitan, Velvet's ending- Velvet is an individual who has suffered more than most people can comprehend, and she wants nothing more than to be able to die.  I loved how this path played out, and though the ending is bittersweet, the sweet part is so good that I couldn't help but name this one of my top VN routes.

5. Konata yori Kanata Made, Christel's path (good or normal ending) - Konata yori Kanata Made is considered to be one of the top utsuge of all time, and Christel's path is the one that defines the game, for better or worse.  The sense of deep sadness and resignation that defines much of this VN is obvious in this path, and I can still cry just remembering it.

6.  Dies Irae, Marie's or Rea's path- I had to say it.

7.  Vermilion Bind of Blood, Sheryl's path- It was a fight between this one and Ariya's path... but most people who read this VN will probably find this path to be fascinating.  The protagonist is perhaps the most himself in this path and the Grand route (and I have mixed feelings about the ending of the Grand Route, despite how exhilarating it was).  It is also nice and bloody, and it is the only route where Sheryl faces her personal demons... and big ones they are.

8.  Semiramis no Tenbin, Ami's route- Just describing Ami, you would normally find it hard to empathize with her.  She is manipulative, controlling, and vindictive.  She doesn't trust rules or authority figures, and she absolutely loathes situations where she isn't in control.  However, she is also a powerful character whose route is equally powerful.

9.  Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no Tonoko's route- This route is a rather beautiful progression through the process of an emotionally-scarred pair building trust between one another, progressing from a teacher-student relationship, to that of a father and a daughter, to that of lovers.  It is beautifully paced, emotionally powerful, and a path I remember vividly whenever I start to lose faith in VNs.

10.  Silverio Trinity, Grand Route- Honestly, though I loved Vendetta's route in Silverio Vendetta, this route felt like me to be a stronger climax in some ways.  It was either this one or Vendetta's route in this spot, and I honestly had to think about it. 

• The Chrono Box true end blew my mind. I'll never be the same again (/ω\)
  • All of the endings in Kimi e okuru, Sora no Hana. In terms of routes, Sekka's was the one I loved the most. Still, all fantastic endings.
  • All the chapter ends in ChuSinGura left me crying for hours, each one for different reasons. Truly the most emotionally engaging VN I have ever read. The endings were all just... ahhh, so good.
  • Amane's route in Grisaia no Kajitsu (Angelic Howl is just... brilliant.)
  • The endings in Planetarian and Lucy ~ The Eternity She Wished For ~ were both fantastic. I cri evr tiem.

Well, I don't really compare routes from different VNs with each other, so I'm just going to mention a few routes (and endings) that stood out for me personally, without any particular order.

• Umineko, magic end (+1). Great conclusion to an awesome VN. That moment, than this whole setting finally starts making sense.
  • Tsukihime. Well, all routes in this Vn are pretty good, and none of them stood out above the others. On the other side, Akiha's normal ending and Hisui's true ending are so soul-crushingly heartbreaking. :kosame:
  • Fate. My favorite route is definitely HF, but the true endings to all routes are very good. And I'm not even mentioning some bad endings. Well, it seems like Nasu is just very good at finishing his works. :yumiko:
  • Rewrite. Akane's route and the true routes, Moon and Terra. Moon stood out for amazing world-building, and the other two for "politics".
  • Grisaia, Angelic Howl (+1). :pyaa:
  • Fata Morgana and RFI endings are pretty good.

Also, though I didn't like the true route in G-Senjou, the ending is really good (and almost made me reconsider my opinion about this VN).

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2018 at 6:53 PM, Akshay said:

Steins:Gate True End (+1)

Grisaia No Kajitsu Amane Bad End

Tsukihime Akiha True End, Hisui True End

Fate/Stay Night Nine Lives Blade Works Bad End/ and HF ending (+1) and the Reality Nua Avalon End (+1)

ef - Chihiro End

Clannad - After Story End

This made me go back and try Grisaia's bad ends. HOLY SHIT AMANE.

1 hour ago, Akshay said:

I thought it was better than her good ending

Did you play sachi's bad end?

Spoiler

On my first playthrough I only got one bad ending - Sachi's. I found her choice difficult and picked wrong.

I actually prefer Sachi's bad ending, because I think it's a more fitting result of the MC's reckless, cruel, know-it-all amateur armchair psychology tactics. I hated him in that route. Even though Sachi is my favorite character, her route was my least favorite. She showed her snarky, vengeful, horny personality that I love much more in every other route. I frequently disliked the protagonist in Grisaia 1, although 2 and 3 redeemed him for me a good deal. I just can't get over how he treated Amane like shit when he took her virginity and how he treated Sachi and her issues like a plaything.

I just now went back to see the rest of the bad endings in Grisaia 1 and 3 for the first time.

Every ending and the afterstory in Grisaia 3 was good and satisfying to me.

In Grisaia 1, I thought Amane, Michiru, and Makina's bad endings were crazy good. I'm so disturbed that it kept me up last night. I thought Amane went out like a total badass and I don't mind thinking of that as her canon ending, same as Sachi's bad end. But holy shit poor Michiru and Makina. I could have lived a better life not seeing those fantastically disturbing endings, perhaps. If I had to pick, I'd say Makina's might be the most disturbing VN ending I've seen so far. (I'm aware far more disturbing endings exist, I just have been specifically picking happy ones up to this point I suppose, as you can see from my VNDB.)

Edited by Corrupted

2 hours ago, Corrupted said:
  Hide contents

On my first playthrough I only got one bad ending - Sachi's. I found her choice difficult and picked wrong.

I actually prefer Sachi's bad ending, because I think it's a more fitting result of the MC's reckless, cruel, know-it-all amateur armchair psychology tactics. I hated him in that route. Even though Sachi is my favorite character, her route was my least favorite. She showed her snarky, vengeful, horny personality that I love much more in every other route. I frequently disliked the protagonist in Grisaia 1, although 2 and 3 redeemed him for me a good deal. I just can't get over how he treated Amane like shit when he took her virginity and how he treated Sachi and her issues like a plaything.

I just now went back to see the rest of the bad endings in Grisaia 1 and 3 for the first time.

Every ending and the afterstory in Grisaia 3 was good and satisfying to me.

In Grisaia 1, I thought Amane, Michiru, and Makina's bad endings were crazy good. I'm so disturbed that it kept me up last night. I thought Amane went out like a total badass and I don't mind thinking of that as her canon ending, same as Sachi's bad end. But holy shit poor Michiru and Makina. I could have lived a better life not seeing those fantastically disturbing endings, perhaps. If I had to pick, I'd say Makina's might be the most disturbing VN ending I've seen so far. (I'm aware far more disturbing endings exist, I just have been specifically picking happy ones up to this point I suppose, as you can see from my VNDB.)

I liked both Sachi's good end and bad end tbh. She is different, in her route yes, and a lot of her snark is missing but I didn't think it was that bad. That being said it wasn't the best route for sure. Makina bad end gave me nightmares that night though. I watched the good end first so

Spoiler

It took me a few secs to realise that, she was talking to the bag.

shivers