Kurisu-Chan

Valve's new steam policy.

On 8.6.2018 at 10:35 PM, Funyarinpa said:

But, regarding this, regarding formalizing "good"- in my opinion, "good" here is basically "not being designed to promote bigoted ideology". Asset flips aren't anywhere as actively harmful as the entire "it's good and it's fun to be racist and sexist to people as long as you do it through jokes" mentality that not just prevails in games but in general. That's my main beef.

If you want to fight racism and sexism the way to do it is through arguments not through censorship. Freedom of speech requires people to accept the existance of things they disagree with, if one only have the freedom to say and express the things that are socially accepable then there is no freedom of speech. While I find racism and sexism to be stupid as it makes rediculus claims I can't just say that just because I find it to be a bad thing it must be censored. If that were to be the case what defence would I have if they wanted to censor something I liked because they found it offensive.

Edited by bakauchuujin

16 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

And again, the problem here is that any rigorous policy that tries to enforce moral principles and political correctness in fiction will end up excluding a large swath of content I happen to enjoy.  Cheesecake?  Offensive and demeaning to women.  Lolis?  Get that pedobait off here.  Inappropriate religious symbolism?  You're disrespecting someone's faith.

We have this culture of outrage and it's really tiresome.  I feel like the correct response to blatant trolling is to just ignore it.  It's attention-seeking behavior.  If you give them attention, they win.  Attempts to root them out will result in collateral damage that justifies their cause and rallies support for them.

That's the thing. Racism and sexism, even in the form of shitty asset flip games, isn't harmless trolling you can just ignore. They cultivate a culture that cares more about glorifying works (games) that gloat about needlessly offending people, to say the very fucking least. 

And I'm not calling for censoring fucking everything. And no, it doesn't have to be a slippery slope. Valve just needs to take a stance to say that bigotry is not welcome on their platform. That's not too much to ask. And that doesn't endanger your cheesecake. 

What I'm talking about isn't censorship. It's called deplatforming. 

Hate speech and bigotry adds nothing. Even if it'll just "extremize them even more" or something, not allowing bigotry in the public sphere keeps bigotry from becoming normalized. You know what happens when you handwave bigotry by calling it trolling? Racists who say racial slurs on stream have an audience with millions of impressionable children. 

And if your takeaway from that situation is to protect your lolis on Steam above all else, I don't have anything else to say. 

Edited by Funyarinpa

And again, the problem here is that any rigorous policy that tries to enforce moral principles and political correctness in fiction will end up excluding a large swath of content I happen to enjoy.  Cheesecake?  Offensive and demeaning to women.  Lolis?  Get that pedobait off here.  Inappropriate religious symbolism?  You're disrespecting someone's faith.

On 6/11/2018 at 8:20 AM, Funyarinpa said:

And I'm not calling for censoring fucking everything. And no, it doesn't have to be a slippery slope. Valve just needs to take a stance to say that bigotry is not welcome on their platform. That's not too much to ask. And that doesn't endanger your cheesecake.

I'll just leave this here.

Edited by sanahtlig