Is it possible to play a visual novel on a basic mobile phone that is NOT a smartphone?

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Explain exactly how this was necessary? You're turning into @Aniki more and more with pretty much every new post you make lately and man, you never want to go full Aniki.

I'm afraid that his case was already about to be like Aniki thereĀ from seeing his recent posts as well. So nothing that we can do about Kiri here, because basically it was his wish lol.

As for basic phone vs. smartphone definition, I would like to search more about that but it might be more hassle than worth. So let's just say that smartphone should be able to get Wi-fi signal, while the basic phone couldn't. And that's the most simple difference that I know, so let's just leave it at that.

Edited by littleshogun

11 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

The problem is, I think the conclusion that it was doable was obvious for everyone here already and Kiris or Narcosis' posts went to the problem how and to what extent it's doable. If you present an example on how to configure a VN on a feature phone, commenting on whether it would be comfortable to play or if it would feel like playing a VN at all (I think Tynmur's actual argument was that it wouldn't read like a VN, not that it wouldn't "technically" be one) is absolutely reasonable. And Kiri was very much arguing that we're small-minded fools for not appreciating the possibility of playing VNs on an old Nokia and the headache it would very likely cause after 10+ minutes of straining your eyesight. :P

It's a good summary. I will compare it to this:

Yes it's technically possible, but you are not in for a good user experience and that's just one reason why people aren't actually doing it.

24 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

And Kiri was very much arguing that we're small-minded fools for not appreciating the possibility of playing VNs on an old Nokia and the headache it would very likely cause after 10+ minutes of straining your eyesight. :P

I do agree with him, though. As a personal anecdote, when I was abroad in Africa some years ago I only had a feature phone to use, and I would not have beenĀ averse to the idea of reading something on it considering I had no physical literature available. Whether or not it would be straining or enjoyable or whatever I cannot say, as it has not, to my knowledge, been done before.

I think the conclusion that it was doable was obvious for everyone here already and Kiris or Narcosis' posts went to the problem of how and to what extent it's doable

That may be, but then perhaps all it takes is an "I agree with you, it is possible. However, let's discuss how enjoyable that would be...". I don't think it was obvious for Kiri where the discussion had shifted considering his response, thus I think the comparison to Aniki is a bit excessive. He is not intentionally trolling or posting useless trash, and I think he has been constructive and often helpful. Again, not to excuse anything.

(I think Tymmur's actual argument was that it wouldn't read like a VN, not that it wouldn't "technically" be one)

Tymmur said "Likewise if we start to accept the limitations you talk about, we will have to argue how many limitations we can accept while still calling it a VN. NVL at such a resolution is just a novel, which shows a picture whenever the text is hidden.", which sounds to me like he is trying to state that it isn't a VN. If I have misinterpreted, feel free to correct me.

Edited by Zander

15 minutes ago, Zander said:

He is not intentionally trolling or posting useless trash

The fact that he called me retarded and "your poor brain" would contradict your statement.

17 minutes ago, Zander said:

Tymmur said "Likewise if we start to accept the limitations you talk about, we will have to argue how many limitations we can accept while still calling it a VN. NVL at such a resolution is just a novel, which shows a picture whenever the text is hidden.", which sounds to me like he is trying to state that it isn't a VN. If I have misinterpreted, feel free to correct me.

I was specifically saying that about an NVL on such a tiny screen. To get readable text on such a small monitor is a challenge. If you want to put CG behind the text and keep the text readable, you will likely lose the ability to watch the CG, particularly considering the quality and brightness of some of them. I question if it is a VN if it displays text and CG, but not at the same time.

5 minutes ago, Zander said:

I do agree with him, though. As a personal anecdote, when I was abroad in Africa some years ago I only had a feature phone to use, and I would not have beenĀ averse to the idea of reading something on it considering I had no physical literature available. Whether or not it would be straining or enjoyable or whatever I cannot say, as it has not, to my knowledge, been done before.

Well, you're entitled to have that opinion, but this wasn't a discussion about being stranded with a feature phone as your only device either. We can play with hypothetical scenarios all day long, but we'd only drift further and further from any kind of practical implications and viability of the whole idea. And the suggestion I only think this way because I'm spoiled by my modern devicesĀ quite funny. I have a smartphone with 5" screen and I'm hesitating to call it viable for reading anything beyond text messages and short e-mails, and I'm very sure I REALLY don't want to read long stories on it, let alone on something half its size - maybe it's because I never had a handheld console, but I don't think I would feel much different in times when a small feature phone was my only option "on the move". When I didn't have a tablet, I read stuff printed on paper.

14 minutes ago, tymmur said:

The fact that he called me retarded and "your poor brain" would contradict your statement.

I would disagree. I think there is a distinction between trolling, i.e coming to the thread with the intent of shitposting, and getting heated over an argument / discussion. There is still value in his post between the insults, and I was also referring to his posts in general as Lesiak referred to [Kiri often helps people out in the voluntary tech support forum].

Ā 

17 minutes ago, tymmur said:

I question if it is a VN if it displays text and CG, but not at the same time.

There are instances in Kara no Shojo where it is in NVL format with no background images or images displayed except for brief CGs between text passages. I would call something made entirely in that styleĀ a VN, but I suppose that is down to personal opinion.

Ā 

16 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Well, you're entitled to have that opinion, but this wasn't a discussion about being stranded with a feature phone as your only device either.

Of course, but I believe you specifically mentioned places where the majority of people do not have access to smartphones, thus I see it as relevant. Many people do haveĀ a feature phone as their only device.

I don't think I made any suggestions about your preferences? Unless you mean Kiri. Personally I have a similarily sized smartphone and I enjoy reading stuff on it. I played the Ace Attorney series on it as well, actually.

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

playing VNs on an old Nokia and the headache it would very likely cause after 10+ minutes of straining your eyesight. :P

I would like to remind you of the popularity of web phone novels in Japan back in the 00s. One of my points was too that the VNs could be created in a such way that you would read maybe only 1 scene each time that lasts from 5 to 10 minutes.