What kind of VN do you enjoy the best?

Larxe1

By kind, I don't mean anything specific. Just what do you enjoy best in VN's. I'm curious about what other people enjoy on this kind of medium and the reasons behind it.

Personally, I enjoy charages and romcom VN's. People who know me in real life would probably be surprised at my choices since the books and movies i usually consume are dark,suspense mystery kinds. I can read anything pretty much with books but in VN's the romance and ichaicha are unique to this medium. Mangas and animes usually offer unsatisfactory romances or pander to fanservice too much. VN's can take their sweet time developing romance and you actually feel the story since it's easier to immerse yourself inside the medium. Books and movies are restricted by their length and manga and anime are well,anyone who in their past tried to watch romance VN's know the constant misunderstandings to stall progress and that is a big no.

Wrote this while being extremely sleepy but being unable to sleep. So I might have said something i didnt realize but oh well.

I used to enjoy reading VNs with good plot narratives and characters but now I just want to play anything moege. At the moment, VNs are used to get rid of the stress, lol.

That being said, I do like to play VNs where the main character is smart and can think for themselves. This includes solving problems, planning ahead or manipulating the enemy. With that said, I really hate main characters who act like idiots or stupidly act stubborn for the sake of their beliefs. If I play any VN that has that type of person then I'll drop it immediately.

Edited by jetpack003

58 minutes ago, Ranzo said:

The good ones

More specifically, I enjoy ones with some sort of driving narrative, a believable romance, and a protagonist that doesn't make me want to drive a steam locomotive through a 711.

In terms of actual favorites on a "each VN on its own merits" rating, I'd agree here. My favorites have wound up being ones like Steins;Gate where I go in expecting one thing and being given something else - a story that becomes more than the sum of its parts while touching on a bunch of pretty deep themes. It's a bit hard to describe, though, but I think the three points above do so well. If you can tell an interesting story I'd be willing to give it a shot, but it has to hold my interest (which isn't necessarily easy) and the protagonist can't be super oblivious. 

In terms of genres, however, I'd have to give the edge to the rom-com SoL VNs, which I'm very partial to. I'd say most of the VNs I want to read fall under this category and I don't see that changing for a while. I also really enjoy the tropes - the tsundere trying to hide their liking the MC even when it's blatantly obvious, the childhood friend who's always secretly liked the MC, and so on. The benefit, too, is that compared to an anime that often will wind up just going to a harem ending you get to see more of each character in their route so as said in the OP it gives time for the events to develop and get you immersed. It's relaxing, and funny, and puts a smile on my face, and at the end of the day that's what I'm looking for. 

Edited by snowbell55

Yeah, I just realized that in terms of what i usually enjoy are romcoms. But what truly made me love VN's in general VN's like fate/stay night and steins;gate. Likeable characters plus amazing plot that you won't forget. The difference between the usual romcoms i enjoy is that i'll probably love that certain character and forget about it after a few months while plot games like steins gate or fate stay night will have unforgettable stories. I still have a strong memory of that moment in Heavens feel

Spoiler

Nine lives blade works and shirou's badassery in sparks liner high

I don't think I have very specific preferences, so I can enjoy everything that's appropriately high quality, but the titles that resonated with me the most were more serious romances, with some heavy drama. The specific genre and convention is less important, if it has convincing love drama and a satisfying conclusion, I'll probably like it a lot.

Anything with a good story except mysteries and psychedelic types.  I prefer chuunige and stories with action of some sort.  I like serious stories but I do like comedy and solid interrelationships between characters.   I also intensely dislike any game where the protagonist is a nobody with no personality of his own, and I prefer games where the protagonist is capable, intelligent, and strong-willed.  I like games with strong emotions involved, but I don't like rapegames. 

I prefer exceptional and non-human heroines for romance and I dislike normal girls like tsundere, osananajimis and the girl next door, lol.

48 minutes ago, Clephas said:

I prefer exceptional and non-human heroines for romance and I dislike normal girls like tsundere, osananajimis and the girl next door, lol.

Hmm. Why not give Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate a try? Sounds like it might be up your alley.

Spoiler

Sorry - couldn't resist :P.