Hello

I'm a Canadian who doesn't like living in Canada but is tied down to Canada because I'm a student that's too poor to travel but also too poor to get enough money to travel, if that makes any sense (probably doesn't)

I'm here for four reasons:

1. Sky Full of Stars has made me extremely disappointed; not because it's bad or anything, but because its publishers/developers are pieces of bad
  2. Because I want to know if there's anything we can do to stop them from constantly doing this bad
  3. Wondering if it's worth it to learn Japanese until I'm completely fluent in it
    1. Also if I do that then I can get into TL'ing which would be cool too I guess.  You can make money from that, right?
  4. Visual Novel recommendations

yeah

i also really like shitposting, but in a funny way, not a 4chan /b/ or /pol/ flame-baiting way

nice and thank

Hello. I relate to living in Canada, but I live in a shit part of it and want to move somewhere better here.

Anyways,

1. It's MoeNovel. What did you expect?

2. No.

3. Yes if you have a decent list of VNs that will never be TLed and don't want to limit yourself to English releases.

3. 1. You can make money, but not good money. However, if you're passionate enough, I guess you can get by.

4. Himawari, Subahibi, Ever17, Fata Morgana, and G-Senjou no Maou should tide you over for a couple of months.

That is all the wisdom I have to give to you today. Have fun here. :sachi:

If you don't like Canada you can always give me your spot and take mine in Poland. :wahaha:

------------

Anyways, welcome to Fuwa! It's interesting that hate towards MoeNovel has brought someone to our beautiful little community. A Sky Full of Stars is one of their least butchered releases - hopefully they'll die sooner or later, players are quite wary of them at this point. 

I would recommend you Katawa Shoujo, Cupid, Lucid9 and One Thousand Lies - all those have a very nice feature of being both good and free. 

Hello, and welcome to Fuwa. Hope you enjoy your time here ^_^

Let me adress some of your points:

1. I share this particular feeling with you. I wish Moenovel didn't exist, but sadly, we have to deal with their crap;

2. I wondered about the same thing, but ultimately, didn't come up with any useful ideas. They are too stubborn to care about any reception from this community, and they will always find a part of their audience on Steam who will never care about quality or censorship of their releases.

3. I'd say yes, but not the kind of native Japanese fluency. If you aren't planning on ever living in Japan, and so on, you don't really need native Japanese fluency. But I'm all for learning it if you like to consume Japanese media. It depends on what your goals really are after all.

3. 1. I wouldn't recommend learning Japanese if you are in it for the money. I don't know many people who made money just by TLing Japanese. It's not as profitable as other, better careers, which have a much better pay. Yeah, some people manage to live off of it, but when you look at what they could have been doing instead... it gives an impression of a wasted opportunity. So learning Japanese to live off of it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. But as a hobby, yeah, that sounds fun ^_^ (if you survive the journey of learning it, then I salute you, Sir!)

4. You didn't say what kind of a genre interests you the most, so from the top of my head, here are some VNs I particularly liked: Dies irae, Bible Black, I/O, SubaHibi.

>students

>poor

Are we back to 90's? :makina:

Regarding your questions:

1. There are better games out there. You could even give a try some of the english vns instead, rather than supporting butchered japanese localizations.
  2. Either start making your own games or become a translator yourself... or learn japanese and don't bother.
  3. Not really, unless you're a desperate masochist or a hardcore japanese popculture fan.
    1. Not at all.
  4. To keep it short:

EVNS:

• VA-11 Hall-A (not really a 100% vn, but I'd recommend eitherway)
  • Along the Edge (be on the lookout for their new game - Seers Isle - as well)
  • Anything from Ebi-Hime
  • Anything fom nomNomNami (free, mostly yuri-themed, but her games are really good)
  • Everlasting Summer (free)
  • Lucy -The Etenity She wished For-
  • The Last Birdling
  • Lynne (free)
  • Ori, Ochi, Onoe (free; that one's really old and you may have trouble finding/running it, but it's worth giving a try)

JVNS:

• Himawari
  • Enigma
  • Dead End Junction
  • Fault

Those should keep you occupied for a while.

A few month ago I made a list containing all the VNs with official english release, it should be pretty easy to navigate, so this could be a way to quickly get caught up with which VNs that are available. The VNs are sorted by amount of vndb votes and the average vndb vote so it should be helpfull when trying to find something interesting.

Edited by bakauchuujin

Since you didn't say what types of VN's you're interested in, I'll just list some of my favorites....

Grisaia no Kajitsu . Strong comedy, great music, sexual humor, strong emotional feels.

Clannad . Themes about friendship and family, tearjerker scenes, emotional feels.

ef - a fairy tale of the two . Comedy, drama, romance, powerful emotional feels.

Fureraba . Strong comedy, romance, lighthearted.

Symphonic Rain . Depth to characters and setting, plot twists, emotional feels.

Those should keep anyone busy for half a year (at least).

18 hours ago, The White Cat said:

because its publishers/developers are pieces of bad

Heh, I think you meant pieces of shit that love to ruin anything they touch and won't stop beating a corpse no matter how many times they're asked nicely/harshly to (which also answers the second part) 

it's worth it if you consider it to be, if there's a lot you want to read that won't be picked up and you have the time/will to do it then by all means, you can make money from it but not as much as some people think freelance TL make. at best you can get by with it.

Comyu, Steins;Gate & 0, Kara no Shoujo & Ep 2 + Cartagra before them if you want the full backstory as well, Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai!, Grisaia the main trilogy and Phantom Trigger if you want more of the same world but different characters/feel.

And EVNS: VA-11 HALL-A is an AMAZING ride that I can't recommend enough, most of Ebi-Hime's works: Sweetest Monster, The Way we all go and so on

And last but not least, welcome to Fuw0 :chaika:

Edited by DarkZedge

On 6/4/2018 at 9:11 AM, Eurocat said:

Whats wrong with canada though :notlikemiya:

>vancouver

imagine living in a place where emotion is dead and everybody is just "DUDE WEED LMAO"

i blame justin trudeau

20 hours ago, icecrack said:

Canadians are cool and everything but you need to step your game up and, I don't know, conquer Alaska and turn into a weeaboo resort or something.

this is actually a good idea, will pass on to Elon

21 hours ago, finiteHP said:

I must be the only Canadian on here that actually likes Canada.  Only time I consider leaving is the summer when I eye colder places.

there are great places in canada im just not in one of them lul

On 6/4/2018 at 5:11 AM, r0xm2n said:

Since you didn't say what types of VN's you're interested in, I'll just list some of my favorites....

Grisaia no Kajitsu . Strong comedy, great music, sexual humor, strong emotional feels.

makinas route sucks but everything else is top 100 crying laughing emojis gone viral

On 6/4/2018 at 1:17 AM, Narcosis said:

>students

>poor

Are we back to 90's? :makina:

>live in richest part of canada

>poor family

>only talent is in fine arts

my limited piano knowledge can only get me so far

On 6/4/2018 at 1:01 AM, Infernoplex said:

3. I'd say yes, but not the kind of native Japanese fluency. If you aren't planning on ever living in Japan, and so on, you don't really need native Japanese fluency. But I'm all for learning it if you like to consume Japanese media. It depends on what your goals really are after all.

3. 1. I wouldn't recommend learning Japanese if you are in it for the money. I don't know many people who made money just by TLing Japanese. It's not as profitable as other, better careers, which have a much better pay. Yeah, some people manage to live off of it, but when you look at what they could have been doing instead... it gives an impression of a wasted opportunity. So learning Japanese to live off of it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. But as a hobby, yeah, that sounds fun ^_^ (if you survive the journey of learning it, then I salute you, Sir!)

definitely not in it for just the money, that question was more of a "well I could learn it and as a bonus I could maybe get a job for it" kinda thing.  also me big dumb dumb in pretty much every subject except language so yeah lul

also I guess I want to live in Japan?  although I know there's a bunch of stories about "falling for Japan's waifubait" etc. so I'll have to see for myself before I decide to live there.  would be nice though.

also >big reply to almost everyone in one reply haha yes i dont know the emotes here11!11!

love you all and thanks for the warm welcome

21 minutes ago, The White Cat said:

also I guess I want to live in Japan?  although I know there's a bunch of stories about "falling for Japan's waifubait" etc. so I'll have to see for myself before I decide to live there.  would be nice though.

I heard many horror stories of people who went to Japan and got disillusioned after living there for a couple of years. I know I would never want to live there. All I'd do perhaps would be to go there as a tourist. It's fun to give it a month and just enjoy Japan as a tourist.

1 hour ago, The White Cat said:

>vancouver

imagine living in a place where emotion is dead and everybody is just "DUDE WEED LMAO"

i blame justin trudeau

this is actually a good idea, will pass on to Elon

there are great places in canada im just not in one of them lul

makinas route sucks but everything else is top 100 crying laughing emojis gone viral

>live in richest part of canada

>poor family

>only talent is in fine arts

my limited piano knowledge can only get me so far

definitely not in it for just the money, that question was more of a "well I could learn it and as a bonus I could maybe get a job for it" kinda thing.  also me big dumb dumb in pretty much every subject except language so yeah lul

also >big reply to almost everyone in one reply haha yes i dont know the emotes here11!11!

love you all and thanks for the warm welcome

Weed isn't even legal in quebec yet and it's already absolutely everywhere so maybe i'm just used to it? :chaika:

3 minutes ago, Eurocat said:

Weed isn't even legal in quebec yet and it's already absolutely everywhere so maybe i'm just used to it? :chaika:

literally everyone in vancouver is "dude weed LMAO"

at least that's north van.  not too sure about the other ones.  I know West van is full of rich kids that do coke, south van is never talked about, and east van is degenerate land

moral of the story is vancouver sucks and yeah you get used to it after a while

kinda sad though i've seen kids like 10 years old smoking weed, like wtf

Welcome to Fuwanovel, and sorry for the belated greeting. To be honest I would less care in regard of Canada, but at least I understand though if you can't go overseas because of financial problem. Since you say that you're a student, perhaps you'll get your chance to do the travelling in the future. As for your point:

On 6/4/2018 at 10:04 AM, The White Cat said:
  1. Sky Full of Stars has made me extremely disappointed; not because it's bad or anything, but because its publishers/developers are pieces of bad
  2. Because I want to know if there's anything we can do to stop them from constantly doing this bad
  3. Wondering if it's worth it to learn Japanese until I'm completely fluent in it
    1. Also if I do that then I can get into TL'ing which would be cool too I guess.  You can make money from that, right?
  4. Visual Novel recommendations
  1. I don't know what's going on from inside Pulltop in regard of Miagete censorship (And Konosora), but I guess that they probably afraid in regard of backlash from some people if they localized it with H scenes. Also perhaps they attempt to maximize their chance with Steam, and since Steam recently have stricter regulation in regard of sexual content, perhaps Pulltop removed the sex scenes because of that (No reason for them to not translated H scenes at all).
  2. Since Pulltop was pretty much already insisted to do this, perhaps the obvious solution would be not buying all of their VNs, including the product from the Japanese company itself until Pulltop themselves goes bankrupt because lack of sales. But since some people would buy Pulltop's VNs regardless of the company blunder, it would be easier said than done because it mean that as long as Pulltop keep making money from their VNs, the critic from fans in regard of the censorship wouldn't matter. So in the end it would be pretty much impossible to stop them other than hoping that Pulltop would change their policy without going bankrupt, but at least there's some hope with Umikana that Pulltop release it as all age VN even in Japan.
  3. Maybe you can try that, but my choice here is that I choose to just reading translated VNs even if I fluent in Japan, because it mean that to me it would be less backlog and less time to decipher Japanese font and word into English word. As for whether you can make money or not, well it's complicated situation here so I just said that yes you can earn money from translating VNs, and it's more or less just as difficult as any other job is. Other than that, I think Infernoplex explained it enough.
  4. As for VNs recommendations, well there's Tsujidou, Yoake, ToHeart 2, 11eyes, Sorcery Jokers, Dracu Riot, and Saku Saku. I think those VNs were the most recent one that was got translated. Oh and if you want the better VNs there, then I would recommend both of Subahibi and Dies Irae in case you still didn't play those two.

I think that's all what I can elaborate in regard of your points, and so I hope taht you'll have fun here.