Unlimited Chat Works - Random Talk

allpukmaster

Well, we've been dead for about a week now so I figure it's time I bring up something to create some discussion. The other day I was talking to someone and we somehow got on the topic of homosexuality. Since we are both of the generation that really doesn't care about who people are with we both agreed that the marriage thing was cool with us. (Not that we're in a place where our opinion matters but w/e) Then my friend said something like what must the people who don't want to allow gay marriage be thinking. So I started thinking what kind of relationship would seem most taboo to me that would be equitable to homosexuality then I found it, incest. To me incest just seems weird but I don't really have a reason, let's take two siblings, a boy and girl brother and sister, now lets say they love each other in a special way. I now have two scenarios for you guys and you tell me which one you find weird and maybe we can get to the bottom of this. So lets say they are raised as brother and sister since birth, fell in love and became a couple, they then found out they were not actually brother and sister and one was adopted, Would this be okay? The next scenario would be the opposite if two people meet fell in love and then found out they were blood related siblings separated at birth would this be okay? See I now put this to you because talking about this to anyone else would seem like I'm trying to make incest acceptable and I feel like you are all so weird you will give me a conversation that those normies never could. Also just watched the new justice league anyone else not care too much for the movie but really like aqua man and the flash?

Edited by colekitt

1 hour ago, colekitt said:

See I now put this to you because talking about this to anyone else would seem like I'm trying to make incest acceptable and I feel like you are all so weird you will give me a conversation that those normies never could.

We're all so weird? Well, thank you for the compliment. :D

I actualy find it surprising how strong the taboo of incest still is nowadays, people are super uncomfortable speaking about it and the discussion can pretty much instantly jump into child molestation and stuff like that, instead of relationships between consenting adults and whether we have any right to judge them/get in their way. I think that with siblings, cousins, step siblings etc. it should really be no one's business, even the medical dangers are usually grossly overstated - in most cases inbreeding can have negative consequences if continued over longer periods of time, not in single generation. With parents and children, even foster parents it's obviously much more complicated due to inbalance of power/emotional dependency of children. 

What I've observed in the past is that people that actually have opposite-sex siblings are much more disturbed by the idea of incest. I think people unconciously put a long-term effort to desexualize these relations and any attempt to breake that activates some defence mechanisms.

In anime and VNs, it's usually the cliche of non-blood related siblings, falling in love with each other and then discovering they can actually pursue their love. Oreimo tried something different, but from what I heard the producers blocked authors from pursuing an actual incestous conclussion to the story, turning the ending into the mess we've got in the end. Going back to VNs, one of my favorite western ones, Love Ribbon, did quite a good job of tackling the issue, with a romance between two sisters - pointing to the logical fallacies used to support the taboo, but never ignoring the costs of breaking it.

Still, no matter what we say or how logical it might sound to us, I think that people are by nature dogmatic and distrustful towards everything that's different from their experience. These kinds of cultural battles are always long and hard and some people will hate everything that threathens their worldviews and the order of thing that they're used to, no matter how wrong it might seem from our perspective. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

3 hours ago, colekitt said:

To me incest just seems weird but I don't really have a reason

Then you have no logical reason to oppose. If you oppose that then you essentially become a hypocrite since homophobes use the same argument. Only criteria I would implement would be no children due to lack of biological diversity, children deformed ect. I'm a physicist so my principles are simple. Logical foundation with evidence.

Well, we've been dead for about a week now so I figure it's time I bring up something to create some discussion.

Lmao. Yeah, 'cause the thread dying is so unusual. xD

But fair enough, I'll add to the conversation. Caveat, though! I'm quite tired, so I might ramble a bit.

Then my friend said something like what must the people who don't want to allow gay marriage be thinking.

I'm not against gay marriage myself, but I can try and play the Devil's advocate (ironically). One reason for being against gay marriage can be the religious aspect, though that would also involve prohibiting atheists or people of other religions getting married. Then again, in that scenario, there could just be established a non-religious marriage, with a non-religious authority figure to legalize the union. So meh. Another reason could be the fear of a slippery slope, which is not without credibility, where people are afraid it's gonna go towards disaster one tiny step at a time. The reason I say it's not without credibility is because I remember seeing advocates for gay marriage on old TV debates going "Oh come on, it's just marriage! It's not like we're gonna start teaching it to kids in school!" Not only is it being taught to kids in school, but so is transgenderism, which I think is an appalling thing to do. That does not mean gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry, obviously, but that kind of fear might be what fuels the position. Also, the homosexuality "movement" is needlessly perverse, which is not helping their cause. If you want to convince regular people that you're a normal human being just like them, maybe you shouldn't dress up in spandex and BDSM gear at your pride parades. Not to mention making prepubescent boys twerk half naked on the street.

So I started thinking what kind of relationship would seem most taboo to me that would be equitable to homosexuality then I found it, incest. To me incest just seems weird but I don't really have a reason

I've read your question and I will answer it, but let me give my 5 cents about incest in general first, as it's actually a subject I find quite interesting. I have a great interest in morality and general philosophy, so it's a topic I've thought about on and off for a long time.

Okay, so I actually wrote an entire paragraph, but found myself rambling way too much, and I've decided I need to try and condense it. I think one of the most important things to understand before going into this discussion is this: Human societies are in a constant battle between two separate ideals: Collectivism (i.e. order) and Individualism (i.e. freedom). Both have their pros and cons, and society cannot function with only one of them. Collectivism says that people must make sacrifices to their freedom and independency for the good of the group. Like paying taxes or not breaking the law. Taken to its extreme, we get totalitarian states, like the Soviet Union, where your rights are non-existent and you are expendable. You only exist in order to be a benefit for the nation, as it sees fit. It represents the absolute of order. But order without happiness doesn't work, and we can't have happiness without individuality. So on to individualism. Individualism says that the individual is supreme over the collective. That everyone is unique and does not belong to any group. Taken to its extreme, it means no one is bound by any rules other than those they set for themselves. It means reality is subjective, your gender is whatever you want it to be, the law does not apply to you, ectera. A society can not be purely individualistic, as it will instantly turn into an anarchy if it ever tries to be.  It represents the absolute of chaos.

For society to function, we need a balance of both collectivism and individualism, so as to have both the order of the former and the happiness of the latter. However, society always tend to lean more to one or the other. But unlike traditionally where it has leaned more towards collectivism than individualism, we now lean towards individualism, and I'd argue that we're on a steady course towards complete individualism. Because once you start putting individualism over norms and traditions, there's no logical place to stop. This is why the LGBTQASKLNTRKESAMwhatever is spinning out of control and why we suddenly have 127 genders. If we put what the individual thinks above what society thinks, everything becomes subjective, and if everything is subjective, then nothing is real and everything is meaningless and the only thing that matters is one's own subjective perception and feelings. That's the basis of the arguments of feminists and all the other "civil rights" advocates.

I probably did a really shitty job of explaining all that, but like I said, I'm tired, so forgive me. ^^

So why was any of that relevant? Because, like I said, we're leaning towards individualism, so these issues get increasingly tackled from an individualistic approach. The only ways you can advocate against something like incest are with either morality or societal pragmatism, both of which use a collectivist foundation rather than an individualistic foundation, which is where the problem arises. Because individualism doesn't care about morality because morality is imposed by the collective on the individual, and societal pragmatism puts the needs of the group above the individual, so that's out of the question too. (If you wonder what I mean, by "societal pragmatism," I mean, for example, how legalizing incest is extremely bad for the stability of families and opens up the floodgate for a whole host of problems. But since the individual reigns supreme in individualism, that doesn't matter.)

So to answer your question, it depends entirely on your value system. If you value collectivism above individualism, then you'll adhere either to the morality of the society you find yourself in, or to the pragmatism of context. If you value individualism over collectivism, then you don't have any argument against it. Or really any sexual activity, including bestiality and pedophilia. Not without having an inconsistent argument, anyway.

Feel free to offer counterarguments if you want. I'm sitting here yawning every 30 seconds, so I probably made an error of logic here and there. Or everywhere. :P

43 minutes ago, Ouraibaa Hjyuraa said:

If you value individualism over collectivism, then you don't have any argument against it. Or really any sexual activity, including bestiality and pedophilia. Not without having an inconsistent argument, anyway.

I think that's a misrepresentation of what individualism would mean in this content - what you described is a pretty extreme version of moral nihilism (a'la that in de Sade's writing).  For individualism to work as any kind of ethical/ideological stance you must accept one basic principle - that the limit to your freedom is the good of another person. So you should be free to reject any kind of moral and intellectual stances that the collective tries to force on you, but can't use that freedom to hurt others. Pedophilia and bestiality are not defendable on the grounds of individualism, because a child or an animal cannot consent to sex and can be expected to suffer from that kind of action. Gay sex or an incestous relationship between consenting adults, in most cases, is absolutely justified from this perspective, because its an expression of freedom and intent of those involved and fundamentally shouldn't be a concern for anyone not directly affected by it.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 minute ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

For individualism to work as any kind of ethical/ideological stance you must accept one basic principle - that the limit to your freedom is the good of another person.

I disagree, but I might also be conflating individualism with postmodernism.  If you say that the good of another person restricts you in individualism, then there's no difference between individualism and collectivism, as a society or tribe or group is just a collective of individuals. The point of individualism is that the individual is supreme, and that every individual is supreme, but only as far as they themselves is concerned. Individualism says that all the opinions of everyone is equally valid. If I want to rape you, I can do that if I want. If you don't want it, you can resist. Both stances are equally valid.

7 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Pedophilia and bestiality are not defendable on the grounds of individualism, because a child or an animal cannot consent to sex and can be expected to suffer from that kind of action.

The consent argument is not consistent with individualism. It has its basis in collectivism. And an animal is not an individual/person. Otherwise, every time you kill cattle for food or bugs because they bug you, it's murder.

1 hour ago, Ouraibaa Hjyuraa said:

I disagree, but I might also be conflating individualism with postmodernism.  If you say that the good of another person restricts you in individualism, then there's no difference between individualism and collectivism, as a society or tribe or group is just a collective of individuals. The point of individualism is that the individual is supreme, and that every individual is supreme, but only as far as they themselves is concerned. Individualism says that all the opinions of everyone is equally valid. If I want to rape you, I can do that if I want. If you don't want it, you can resist. Both stances are equally valid.

Really, this might be the first time I've seen anyone trying to sell such Nietzschean/de Sadian nihilism as "individualism". Even if we set a dychotomy where this kind of egomaniacal freedom is "individualism" and every sustainable ethical system, no matter how minimal,  is "collectivistic", it will be completely useless for the discussion at hand. Because for acceptance of incest or LGBT+ interests this kind of fringe stance is not in any way necessary. It's also nowhere close to being an agenda of most progressive groups or a dominating trend in society IMO.

The consent argument is not consistent with individualism. It has its basis in collectivism. And an animal is not an individual/person. Otherwise, every time you kill cattle for food or bugs because they bug you, it's murder.

Probably it is, from a moral point of view? Most of the animals we eat have personality, can feel pain etc. There's a reason we outlaw animal abuse, bestiality in most cases is simply considered one form of it. So, it's not something easily defendable on the grounds of personal freedom. Whether eating meat is, I will not judge, I don't claim to be a moral person anyways... :P

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

14 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Really, this might be the first time I've seen anyone trying to sell such Nietzschean/de Sadian nihilism as "individualism".

My usage of the word "individualism" was arbitrary. I  felt it was the word most fitting to describe the ethical system in which we put the value of individuals higher than the value of the society in which they live. If individualism usually describes a different school of ethics, then I am sorry for the confusion. Please view the word "individualism" in accordance with the context I've used, not with any prior ethical meaning to the word. Or feel free to offer a fitting alternative name that intuitively describes the ethical approach of putting the individual above society. Lord knows I'm too tired to come up with it. I've reached the point where my lenses are so dry I blink twice every two seconds.

38 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Because for acceptance of incest or LGBT+ interests this kind of fringe stance is not in any way necessary.

Acceptance for incest or any other sexual right is always based on individualism. Because the only argument is, "because we want to." It completely revolves around whether people should be allowed to do what they want, regardless of what society thinks of it (or if it hurts society). If agree with that argument, that automatically means you agree with a slew of other things, including incest, pedophilia, bestiality, necrophilia, and polygamy.

43 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

It's also nowhere close of being an agenda of most progressive groups or a dominating trend in society IMO.

I'd like to respond to this, but first I'd like you to define the "it" as I don't feel confident in my deductive ability right now. Of course, I could come back to this when I wake up, but I still have 5 hours more I need to be awake for, and you're the best entertainment I've got right now. So what is nowhere close of being an agenda?

54 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

There's a reason we outlaw animal abuse, bestiality in most cases is simply considered one form of it.

Define most cases. The most common forms of bestiality are with dogs, horses, and goats. Is that rape? Animals can't give consent, but then again, that golden retriever seems pretty content as its humping away. Is it potentially rape? So it's okay if the animal isn't harmed? Well golly-gee fun fact, but that's the case with the vast majority of bestiality cases. And if rape of animals is a thing we punish people for, what about when animals rape animals? Male ducks routinely rape female ducks. Are we gonna have people on watch ready to separate them at a moment's notice? If we see it, do we call the police?

Humans have this bad habit of attributing human norms and characteristics to animals that don't posses them. It's ridiculous to apply human morality to animals. Morality exists to be a benefit for human society. It doesn't extend to other animals.

3 hours ago, Ouraibaa Hjyuraa said:

My usage of the word "individualism" (...) 

I'm sorry, I don't think this is going anywhere. Most moral conflicts of today, such as gay rights, drug laws etc. center around a liberal understanding of individualism, that is personal freedom of choice and pursue of happiness, coupled with respecting the same freedom of others. This idea of individualism is struggling against a conservative notions of tradition, established moral order, religion etc. The form of individualism you've described, the one I would call libertinism or moral nihilism is an absolutely marginal factor here. The main arguement for gay rights, gay marriage is not "we just want it", but "we need this to fulfill ourselves, to live our lives with the same hapiness and dignity as others". And it's at its core a collective issue, because it's about the ability to not just take these moral stances ("I'm gay, I want to marry a person of the same sex"), but to act on them within the social and institutional order we live in (being able to actually marry that person or at least be in a relashionship with him/her without facing discrimination)  - after all, a human being without a collective of some sort is just an animal. This does not mean that every such claim is credible and should be accepted, because there is the fundamental barrier of the good of other free individuals - not some collective interests per se, but personal autonomy of every citizen that has to be protected. That's why pedophilia (or rather - child rape) cannot be accepted, it will always be predatory behavior that infringes on the best interest and safety of the child.

With animals, even of they are not moral creatures, it doesn't mean they should be necessarily excluded from moral limitations on the part of humans - if they're aware, feeling creatures there's a good reason to think we shouldn't abuse our power over them. I really don't see any good arguement against this stance, apart from questionable sense of evolutional superiority. On the bestiality, yeah, it might be somewhat complicated. And surely in most cases isn't worse than what's happening daily on pretty much every animal farm out there. This still doesn't mean it's not morally questionable - I'm pretty sure than an average goat or horse would choose not being fucked by it's owner if that was a possibility. :P

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

I really didn't expect five walls of text when I came back .-. oh well time for a sixth

12 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

We're all so weird? Well, thank you for the compliment. :D

Obviously we're weird, who else could turn a game getting translated into 743 pages of nothingness that somehow has made some of the best points and most interesting arguments I've seen in my life?

12 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I actualy find it surprising how strong the taboo of incest still is nowadays, people are super uncomfortable speaking about it and the discussion can pretty much instantly jump into child molestation and stuff like that, instead of relationships between consenting adults and whether we have any right to judge them/get in their way. I think that with siblings, cousins, step siblings etc. it should really be no one's business, even the medical dangers are usually grossly overstated - in most cases inbreeding can have negative consequences if continued over longer periods of time, not in single generation.

Well now that I see all this perhaps it was a case of the frog in the well, I assumed everyone thought that it was gross because its always been something that was really only in VNs and animes but usually very watered down and never really seen by me in real life. After seeing this I can really say I've fallen into a category that could be considered bigotry.

10 hours ago, iamnoob said:

Then you have no logical reason to oppose. If you oppose that then you essentially become a hypocrite since homophobes use the same argument. Only criteria I would implement would be no children due to lack of biological diversity, children deformed ect. I'm a physicist so my principles are simple. Logical foundation with evidence.

Well that's the whole point, after attempting to understand homophobic people who say "I just don't like it" I found that I feel similar with cases of incest and thought presenting it to you all might also give you insight into someone's thoughts that you couldn't have gotten otherwise. Since at least for me, this is a case where logically I can see that there really shouldn't be anything wrong with it but, if there was a vote to allow incestuous marriage I'm not so sure I could vote yes.

9 hours ago, Ouraibaa Hjyuraa said:

Lmao. Yeah, 'cause the thread dying is so unusual. xD

But fair enough, I'll add to the conversation. Caveat, though! I'm quite tired, so I might ramble a bit.

Maybe I'm just too used to the good old days when you went to sleep you either had to back track five pages or lose it all, also isn't being half asleep and on the internet how most of life's problems get solved?

I'm not against gay marriage myself, but I can try and play the Devil's advocate (ironically). One reason for being against gay marriage can be the religious aspect, though that would also involve prohibiting atheists or people of other religions getting married. Then again, in that scenario, there could just be established a non-religious marriage, with a non-religious authority figure to legalize the union.

Maybe it's just me but I think that's long over due anyway, I've seen atheist married by catholic priests just because that's what they always saw in T.V. and movies. But hey, at least their union is cool with the god they don't believe in.

Another reason could be the fear of a slippery slope, which is not without credibility, where people are afraid it's gonna go towards disaster one tiny step at a time. The reason I say it's not without credibility is because I remember seeing advocates for gay marriage on old TV debates going "Oh come on, it's just marriage! It's not like we're gonna start teaching it to kids in school!"

Definitely not without credibility since the start of my logical argument for incest is "well it's not that much different from gay marriage so how bad can it be?". So with that in mind I'm going to guess five to six years before marriage between first cousins is legal in the west and seven to eight more for siblings.

10 hours ago, Ouraibaa Hjyuraa said:

Also, the homosexuality "movement" is needlessly perverse, which is not helping their cause. If you want to convince regular people that you're a normal human being just like them, maybe you shouldn't dress up in spandex and BDSM gear at your pride parades. Not to mention making prepubescent boys twerk half naked on the street.

Well isn't that being a normal human being? BDSM is a pretty common kink that almost always has a spot on porn websites maybe that is them saying "yes just like you we all like weird things so let us be weird with the people we like." and isn't our culture needlessly preserve anyway, I can't tell you how many times I've been driving around and then random tits pop up on a bill board. Also as denizens of the internet wouldn't it be pretty easy to find young girls twerking (not that I have ever looked mind you) is just the fact that it's in real life and the way to avoid it is to look away rather than not search for it that bad?

Okay, so I actually wrote an entire paragraph, but found myself rambling way too much, and I've decided I need to try and condense it.

starting the petition to release the unabridged post

If you value individualism over collectivism, then you don't have any argument against it. Or really any sexual activity, including bestiality and pedophilia. Not without having an inconsistent argument, anyway.

I think lumping all of these together might be a bit presumptuous you can't over look the importance of consent, just guessing here but I don't thing LGBTQ would be okay with rape. I like to think that humans aren't a collection of extremes and that we're capable of saying "I like pink but not red." even if we are a bit inconsistent at time <(")

Feel free to offer counterarguments if you want. I'm sitting here yawning every 30 seconds, so I probably made an error of logic here and there. Or everywhere. :P

Oh we will, slowly but surely we will, and once we have finished this we will go onto something else and this is how we revive the thread. LONG LIVE THE UCW!!!!!!

Hmmm looking at the rest of the posts I feel like i don't have much to add other than "dance my puppets dance keep talking and we shall live again!!!"

Next let's talk about immigration slowly we will rebuild muhuhuhuhuhuhuhu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly I never understand why people get so engaged with having political arguments with total strangers online like you'll click on a facebook photo or youtube clip and there are these total weirdos typing out these long diatribes to someone that they've never met and someone they don't give a shit about. You are not going to change their opinion.  Even if it is stupid, ugly, and hateful. Especially that.

Me I'll occasionally post my stance on a forum and never return to it, I might read the response but I'll most likely just leave it at that.

They don't  have to know there wrong, hell they probably don't deserve that much.

42 minutes ago, Ranzo said:

Honestly I never understand why people get so engaged with having political arguments with total strangers online like you'll click on a facebook photo or youtube clip and there are these total weirdos typing out these long diatribes to someone that they've never met and someone they don't give a shit about. You are not going to change their opinion.  Even if it is stupid, ugly, and hateful. Especially that.

Speak for yourself. I use to lean conservative until someone on the internet convinced me otherwise.

I've seen plenty of people change their opinion due to Internet discussions. It's certainly waaaaay more rare than just sticking to what you believe because "my balls say so", but it does happen. Ofc, it's conditioned on people being both able and ready to challenge their ideas and facing the possibility of being wrong, which helps make it so odd to see in real life.

Kinda like politics, with how candidates spend more time trying to ingrate themselves to the people through shallow gestures and words rather than state how their plans will benefit them.

• 4 weeks later...

Ebenezer Scrooge: [on Tiny Tim] Tell me, Spirit... Will he live?

Ghost of Christmas Present: I see an empty place at this table. I see a crutch without an owner, carefully preserved. If these shadows remain unaltered by the future, the child will die.

Ebenezer Scrooge: No. Say he'll be spared.

Ghost of Christmas Present: If these shadows remain unaltered by the future, none other of my species will find him here. But if he is to die, then let him die...! "AND DECREASE THE SURPLUS POPULATION!"

Ebenezer Scrooge: You use my own words against me?

Ghost of Christmas Present: Yes! So perhaps, in the future, you will hold your tongue until you have discovered where the surplus population is, and WHO it is. It may well be that, in the sight of Heaven, you are more worthless and less fit to live than MILLIONS like this poor man's child.

Was reminded of this quote again it's pretty much one of my most favorite quotes

"Every once in a while, I remember something I did when I was a child. Or something that was done to me, by my father, or my brother, or a cousin. Some injury. Some humiliation. And it seems like... it happened to another person, a century or two ago. I'm not really sure if what I remember really took place at all. You can't build your life, relying on the perception of a little boy, or the echos of some memory. Nah. You got to let all that shit go. You gotta start, fresh. Every single day. You have got to start again."

Augustis Hill: OZ

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

How did you end up there then? :o

I was pressed into service, they've kidnapped my parents, I'm on the lam for a crime I definitely committed. Plus, it is better than standing all day in front of a register in uncomfortable shoes and having listen to the same music day in day out.

9 minutes ago, Zakamutt said:

I can never relate to the typical thing of students hating school because I never did that. Rip self insert potential www

Hmmm, for some reason I don't entirely believe you

Edited by Ranzo

Mattel Germany decided to sell Scrabble as "BuchstabenYOLO" (meaning "letter YOLO") from now on, advertising it with a teribble commercial (it's in German of course but you get the gist of it without understanding a word) starring the rapper MC Fitti whose trademark is using old teen slang and lots of made up anglicisms ironically which for some reason is very popular with prepubescent teens. The caption above the video translates to "Turn up the swag!" by the way.

The whole thing feels like one of those satirical fake commercials in comedies but for some reason the decision makers at Mattel Germany thought this was a good idea.