Fortissimo FA to be "Translated" to English by SakuraGame

Yoxall

*Inserts sad Vader noises* Yep, my worst fears as a Fortissimo fan has come true. Why didn't they just stick to their dirt cheap nukiges? Normally I wouldn't give a shit about SakuraGame, but I just happened to browse Fortissimo's VNDB page earlier this week and saw that it had both a Chinese and English release coming soon. Checked who was working on it and it just had to be the worst company in existence.

To make things worse, they already set up a Steam page for it with the synopsis being heavily machine translated (even getting the main heroine's name wrong). And for some reason, they suddenly decided to create another group called Yamayuri Games to "translate" any Circus (or any of its subsidiaries like La'cryma) visual novels Mangagamer hasn't taken yet. So far, Fortissimo and Eternal Fantasy have been hit with the plague. Thoughts?

I had a good laugh at their response though. Idk what an 'acquate' English translation looks like, but it's definitely far from accurate.

KidJrxM.png

Apparently, they made their announcement on Twitter last week: 

one of our friend @Kratosirving made an english translation of fortissimo series on his youtube channel
fortissimo exa part 1
fortissimo exa part 2
fortissimo exs
kadenz fermata akkord fortissimo magi side
kadenz fermata akkord fortissimo sevent code side
if only we have someone who able to put his translation to a working game patch that would be great though

18 minutes ago, Huang Ling Yin said:

one of our friend @Kratosirving made an english translation of fortissimo series on his youtube channel
fortissimo exa part 1
fortissimo exa part 2
fortissimo exs
kadenz fermata akkord fortissimo magi side
kadenz fermata akkord fortissimo sevent code side
if only we have someone who able to put his translation to a working game patch that would be great though

I'll willingly take up this daunting task. I'll need some tools though and some mountain dew. The mountain dew I can buy myself though. 

"you can see our improvement in Fox Hime Zero"

As a man of God, I believe in forgiveness and second chances for all, and thus I have purchased Fox Hime Zero. I will report back in 1.99 hours to evaluate their claim

EDIT: Well, I can confirm they have improved, but that's not really saying much.

Even the first line of the VN has a goof

Spoiler

B469D3534838645D120062B964B72277F635CAC2

Apparently, our dear protagonist Yan has some cannabis-related aspirations

Spoiler

C202EB39598532C3EB4E7955FD1BE131BFE302459DFEF4229FA2E066FA68449E0FB526901A0C0230

Additionally, 35 yuan is about 5 USD / EUR. I'm pretty sure this dude would barely be able to afford instant noodles let alone "live high"

Here we have the first conversation in the game, where Yan comes across some "scholarly looking people" travelling to town. Also Yan's first conversation with a heroine, which was baffling to say the least

Spoiler

0FFC3B2AC3B5CABB930C425F2D8CCEFB40DBC022

Spoiler

E0DD5C144C3482726CCFE6BBBE961CBAF8833C18

I'm not sure why these scholarly looking people talk like middle-aged New Yorkers in a mid-life crisis. "I believe this is your tire..." "YO, there's our tire! What are you doing here, man?!" ??? 

Then there is garbled sentences that are just difficult to wrap your head around, or quasi-philosophical mumbo jumbo out of nowhere (which would be a ding against the VN, and not the translation to be fair, but it could definitely be more natural)

Spoiler

DF08E331808DB9DDC4A4C70245120B28166BD09F

Spoiler

3A18F1F169B848E27350990767EA0E4BA6F8E8E4125E3291D1D1FBAB4BA61DC2D52BD8FD49D2A72E

So true! LOL! 

To be fair, this IS an improvement from their previous releases. It is often comprehensible. It is not, however, enjoyable nor easy to read. There's grammatical errors every other line and conversations are extremely unnatural. It's a shame, too, because even though I'm not interested in this furry stuff it seems like it could be a relaxing read. The art is pleasant to look at, the heroines have quality sprites with a range of animations, and the setting is serviceable. All this really needs is a proper editor.

In any case, to return to topic at hand...

Considering that SakuraGame is incapable of handling 10 minutes of a 6-hour long fluffy story where the protagonist hasn't even spoken to anyone yet without making a mockery of the English language, and that this is the VN they pointed to as proof of their improvement... I doubt Fortissimo FA will be any better

Edited by Zander

My favorite is this "helpful" comment in the chain linked in the OP:

There's an app called Grammarly on chrome, i would suggest use it to help when doing the English translation of the game, many errors will appears in red lines and you can fixed them quite easily

Making too much of a fuss over this could actually backfire: SakuraGame will get more attention and it'll increase their sales.  For those wanting to fight this, the Japanese are sensitive to attacks on their pride and reputation: a shame campaign on the licensors could be effective.  For such shame tactics to succeed, the Japanese media and blogosphere needs to be engaged.  Japanese companies don't follow English communities, so English coverage won't reach or affect them.  And obviously, such tactics won't work on SakuraGame.  They clearly don't care about their reputation.

Edited by sanahtlig

Seems like Nekonyansoft really wanted to get the title. Here is the reaction from one of the people working there on their forums.

"As big fans of the series we tried. We really did. :cryy:

Sadly we never even got a response from them."

Quite a pity that they ended up choosing SakuraGame rather than Nekonyan.

Edited by bakauchuujin
Fixed broken text on white backgrounds

Honestly I expect this translation to be even worse than the one for Fox Hime Zero. I don't really think SakuraGame is going to bother actually using time on a project and this VN is 30-50 hours long, so I doubt they will put the same amount of effort into each line as they did for Fox Hime Zero (which itself seems to have had no effort put into it). I expect to see even worse examples from Fortissimo Fa on a later thread than what Zander showed from Fox Hime Zero.

Edited by bakauchuujin

1 hour ago, bakauchuujin said:

Seems like Nekonyansoft really wanted to get the title. Here is the reaction from one of the people working there on their forums.

"As big fans of the series we tried. We really did. :cryy:

Sadly we never even got a response from them."

Quite a pity that they ended up choosing SakuraGame rather than Nekonyan.

I have a question though.

Say a localizer A gets a license for VN X. Does that mean that no other localizer can ever pick up the same VN X again? Is there no way for a proper localizer to officially pick up later the same VN? I know it's a stupid question, but I really have no clue in these matters as I don't know much about legal stuff.

4 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Say a localizer A gets a license for VN X. Does that mean that no other localizer can ever pick up the same VN X again? Is there no way for a proper localizer to officially pick up later the same VN? I know it's a stupid question, but I really have no clue in these matters as I don't know much about legal stuff.

It depends on the contract.  For example, Degica clearly no longer has the right to sell MuvLuv on Steam.  Their contract likely had a time limitation and might've needed regular renewal.

Edited by sanahtlig

2 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

It depends on the contract.  For example, Degica clearly no longer has the right to sell MuvLuv on Steam.  Their contract likely had a time limitation and might've needed regular renewal.

So there still could be hope for Fortissimo then? What would happen in case SakuraGame got out of business, say got bankrupt. Does it only take someone to buy their company and acquire all their licenses? Or how does it go?