What are your thoughts on Little Busters?

SNR_17

I was planning on picking it up during the summer sale, i've enjoyed most VN's i've read through, the only exception woupld be 'Shuffle!'(I didnt think the characters were too great).

So I was wonder what Little Busters was like, I generally enjoy all sorts of VN's romance, mystery, detective etc. If you could tell me what you liked and disliked about it by keeping the spoilers to a minimum I would appreciate that!

Thank you!!

I found Little Busters to be a very good VN though I had a few issues with it.

1. I was not really ever a fan of the protag Riki though he did grow on me (And he grew during the story as well)

2. Several of the routes go abruptly into the twilight zone and it get's really weird for a while, which might cut into your enjoyment.

3. The minigames are numerous and they all categorically suck (You can skip them)

4. Komari's voice. I really, really hated it after awhile though thank Christ there is a mute voice button.

What it does have however is,

1. The best group of guy friends in any vn ever.

2. The characters are all pretty enjoyable and there are about three really standout routes.

3. The true route is really wonderful and I think it's better than Clannad's Afterstory

4. It's got the secret muscle route which is worth the price of admission alone.

I'll mix my opinion with comments below.

1 hour ago, Ranzo said:

I found Little Busters to be a very good VN though I had a few issues with it.

1. I was not really ever a fan of the protag Riki though he did grow on me (And he grew during the story as well)

Agreed. In anime it's even worse, cuz at least in VN i don't see and hear him... Even more than Riku, i also not fan of Rin, at all. She is annoying. And that's sad, because of

Spoiler

main story plot. I understand all that stuff with growing to become adults, to be able to live through all life difficulties etc, but really... They overdid with Rin's childishness. I didn't feel much sympathy for her, even was supposed to. It's just plain annoying. And to follow the story i have to constantly watch those two...

1 hour ago, Ranzo said:

3. The minigames are numerous and they all categorically suck (You can skip them)

I quite enjoyed fighting stuff, but only during first route. After that i didn't care about it. But first time it was quite fun. As for other game - didn't bother. But i can understand people who really play it and train.

1 hour ago, Ranzo said:

4. Komari's voice. I really, really hated it after awhile though thank Christ there is a mute voice button.

Don't quite remember her voice. But i have to say that sometimes BEFORE you stand on girl's route, she's not look very attractive by her personality... And that was the case with Komari for me. After you start route - all's good.

1 hour ago, Ranzo said:

What it does have however is,

1. The best group of guy friends in any vn ever.

I have a feeling that could be even better. But yeah, pretty good.

1 hour ago, Ranzo said:

2. The characters are all pretty enjoyable and there are about three really standout routes.

Elaborated on that above. I enjoyed characters sometimes only after i read their routes. But some are good as they are even before that. As for the routes themselves - i'd say they're all very good and enjoyable. Worth it.

1 hour ago, Ranzo said:

3. The true route is really wonderful and I think it's better than Clannad's Afterstory

Pure subjectivity from me here - i so wish

Spoiler

main characters for this route would be better. If i have to abstract from them and concentrate only on story, that's pretty good. But these two people... Man, mixed feelings here.

But anyway, i like

Spoiler

the ending very much. It's just exactly what i wanted.

I liked almost all about it - including minigames (but excluding shooting in Saya's route). It gave me all sorts of emotions, and I totally enjoyed it. Current English edition is really well made - running in HD, with the ability to switch languages on the fly.

Totally recommend it. For now it's highest rated VN on my list.

Edited by adamstan

Gonna approach this as a review

Overall score 5/10

Pros:
- Colourful cast
- Excellent true route

- Kyousuke

Cons:

- Rather lame or completely ridiculous central conflict in most routes, making you feel very detached from the whole thing

- Most characters are very one-dimensional and see very little growth as a character, even in their own respective routes

- MC is a total bore, just a cardboard cut out

- Lol, minigames

I felt bored for the majority of the time reading this, sadly. Easily Key's worst VN to date. Can't recommend it unless you're a huge fan of their entire catalogue.

My advice is just to read Rewrite instead :meguface:

Edited by Tyrael

I loved it. It's really, really good. Not going to say too much about the story because spoilers, but I was skeptical at first and grew to really love it, to the point where I'm going to buy Rewrite+ as soon as I can (and I rarely preorder stuff). Several of the routes really resonated with me on a personal level and I couldn't help but feel invested as time went on. Even the ones I wasn't as concerned about felt like they were well done and I can't think of a single route that was bad or boring. The soundtrack is a masterpiece, and while some songs seem like they don't quite fit in, they do wind up being catchy, and/or rather impactful. The character songs are one such example - they really encapsulate the characters. The heroines themselves are also very good, and while some might seem a bit silly and needless at first they do wind up growing into their own and feel fleshed out. I was especially happy with the EX heroines, as they seemed like they could've just been tacked on, but even they wound up being well done. The CGs are really good (though personally I don't like how difficult it is to get some of them without a guide but that's a minor nibble. The background art is also well done IMO. The other really nice thing is that the engine works really well (this for the English Edition). It has options for everything I can think of (the only thing I can think of that isn't there is displaying both Japanese and English at the same time like WagaHigh can but that's not a big deal especially since switching languages is super easy and fast to do), and I didn't notice any bugs or "quirks" like a broken Steam overlay or something else like that. It felt really polished aside from a few typos (but I read it before a patch was released to address those). Plus it's also really long, so if you want to sink your teeth into just one VN then it is one that will have a lot of content to keep you occupied. Oh, and lest I forget, it is *hilarious* as well with certain parts most likely needing you to pause so you can laugh for a few minutes. 

Umu

Edited by snowbell55

It's been a while, but I remember I really enjoyed it in the beginning due to the characters and the comedy. Story-wise, however, I felt that it got bit stale. I couldn't get very invested into the various routes and I never got much of an emotional impact out of them either. As a result, it wasn't very memorable, as I struggle to remember most of the events that transpired throughout the story. I think it is one of the few VNs―if not the only one―where I actually enjoyed the common route and the shenanigans more than actual routes or the more serious aspects.

If you enjoyed most of the VNs you've read so far, I think it might still be worthwhile to pick it up. What some of us didn't like about the VN may still end up being enjoyable for you. Even if it's not among the best Key VNs, it's a Key VN nonetheless, and you can still expect a certain degree of quality out of it.

I'm a big fan of Key and Jun Maeda so of course I'm gonna say it's good, but honestly, it highly hinges on how well it resonates with you. 

First of all, it's mostly a quality slice of life, but slice of life nonetheless. If you truly can't stand the genre then it's probably not for you. Then we've got the typical Key leitmotivs: memories, dreams, multiverse... If you are familiar with any other Key VN or you've watched any of their anime adaptations you surely must know what I mean. If you haven't, you can play it safe by reading another shorter Key VN like Air or Kanon, if you don't mind older looking style. 

If you are like me and enjoy that oniric feeling, and don't mind some moe blob here and there, then Little Busters is for you. 

On 26.05.2018 at 5:52 AM, solidbatman said:

its garbage 

Finally a honest comment I can fully agree with.

On 25.05.2018 at 10:50 PM, Thyndd said:

I'm a big fan of Key and Jun Maeda so of course I'm gonna say it's good, but honestly, it highly hinges on how well it resonates with you.

I used to be a Key fan, but I wasn't ever fond of their overuse of classical tropes that repeated in every single one of their games. After a while they clearly prove they're unable to climb out of the hole they dug under themselves.

Nowadays, I consider Planetarian to be their only remarkable creation. Most of their remaining games prove to be more of a commercial success with frequent, much better anime adaptations and less in terms of actual and coherent vns.

Edited by Narcosis

5 hours ago, Narcosis said:

I used to be a Key fan, but I wasn't ever fond of their overuse of classical tropes that repeated in every single one of their games. After a while they clearly prove they're unable to climb out of the hole they dug under themselves.

Nowadays, I consider Planetarian to be their only remarkable creation. Most of their remaining games prove to be more of a commercial success with frequent, much better anime adaptations and less in terms of actual and coherent vns.

Yep, I can understand that. Even I need to be in an appropiate mood to fully enjoy your classical Key VN. On the other hand I don't mind the repetitiveness; I already know what I'm getting into beforehand, so no big surprise. It's to be expected that someone who originally enjoyed those tropes will keep on liking them as long as they don't oversaturate themselves. Someone who was never fond of them will grow weary in a not so long period of time.