Highway Blossoms Remastered is live on Steam

Plk_Lesiak

The devs behind the game just published a remastered version of Highway Blossoms (for those heretics unfamiliar with the title, it's one of the highest-rated yuri OELVNs) - one that is a free update rather than a separate product. It features full voice-acting and reworked visual assets, along with some technical improvements.

I guess I'm a bit glad that I postponed reading it for such a long time, now I can experience the "ultimate" version on my first try... Unless it's targeted by the Valve's frenzy I guess? It has some sexual content, but hopefully, the all-ages version is clean enough for the Steam(y) Inquisition.

Highway blossoms remastered is now live on steam ... for only a moment, before inevitably being purged by Valve ahahahaAHAHAHA

I'm pretty 'meh' on the full english voiceover to be honest. I always wonder whether it's really needed, especially when the game wasn't written with voices in mind.

6 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

You can always mute it. ;p

My problem with it is that it costs (often a lot of) money (also when done during the development process can lead to limiting the text, but that doesn't apply here). So if it's not needed, I wonder whether the increase in sales justifies the expense? 

I guess the developers could have got some voice actors on the cheap ...

2 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

My problem with it is that it costs money  (also when done during the development process can lead to limiting the text, but that doesn't apply here). So if it's not needed, I wonder whether the increase in sales justifies the expense? 

I guess the developers could have got some voice actors on the cheap ...

I wonder... It had a partial voiceover in the old version, if I remember well? I surely didn't have a huge budget back then, so probably the cast they used back then was fairly cheap and recording additional lines could be worth the added appeal (after all, more conservative/JP-centric VN fans ofter really care about VA). I do hope they'll make some decent marketing push though, a post on Reddit rather won't win that many new sales for a two-year-old game. :]

I can't remember the price offhand, but there are places online where freelance voice actors (both genders) offer their work for a fairly low price. I have heard some of them and the quality I have witnessed so far is well within the realm of acceptable. Voices don't have to be extremely expensive. Still they aren't free and I'm not sure they are worth it in this case.

I don't know how much work went into this I  would rather see them finish The Human Reignition Project.

They had a Kickstarter for that VN in 2015 before Highway Blossoms was released and the The Human Reignition Project is still not out. Sure there are not necessarily the same people working on the Remaster and The Human Reignition Project, but still for the past year they have been working on a Demo for The Human Reignition Project that still isn't out while the original release date of entire VN was  end of 2016.

Highway Blossoms is a pretty good EVN with a nice unique setting but doesn't really push its way out of standard tropes within the VN yuri genre. It already had some of the best production values of any EVN I've read (uses much of the same engine settings that the Fault series uses). I enjoyed this one a lot. I don't know if I'll reread it for the remaster, but for first timers, I recommend this one for sure.