Do you read VNs on the go or at home?

kooolm

How do you prefer to read your VNs? Do you like to do it on the go if such option is available (VN has a PSP, PS Vita, DS, 3DS, Android, iOS version or you just happen to own a Windows tablet) or do you prefer to do that at home on your PC/laptop?

The reason why I'm curious is that one of my friends said to me that he cannot bring himself to do it at home where he would rather play something more gameplay focused while the other one told me that he despises those who play Zero Escape on the train because it kills the atmosphere. 

I sometimes read VNs on my tablet, but most of the time I read them at home and on PC, both because I don't have a handheld console and because getting VNs on Steam is the cheapest way. I've also more or less stopped playing games other than VNs a while ago, so I don't have a problem with them losing the competition (although they do sometimes lose to watching various crap on YouTube).

Obviously at home. The two obvious reasons are screen size and lack of interruptions. Another thing is 18+ titles and public transport don't mix. As for competition from other computer activities, I don't think it's a real problem. If I buy some new game and feel like playing it for hours, then I will play for hours (providing I have the time). It's not like I have to read VNs daily even if there is something else I would rather be doing. It does arguably make me more picky towards which VNs to spend time on, but is that a bad thing?

I'd take both if possible but as of now I read almost everything at home. 

My favorite platform for them is a home console (big screen plus couch - a weird choice, I know) followed by PC (which has the most variety). I like the idea of doing so on a handheld console, but I've not actually tried reading one while out and about yet so can't really speak to how well it works. 

Edited by snowbell55

At home because I don't have a portable Windows 10 device.

Alas, I'd play stuff on Android or Vita, but they lack regional pricing and I'd need to invest the money you'd probably invest into an entire new console to buy a single game (e.g. a single game would cost me close to 150-200 Lira, which in my understanding is close in terms of buying power to the 200$ you use to buy a PS4 in the US.)

I usually prefer to play/read Visual Novels at home alone to avoid onlookers since I consider my privacy and personal space sacred above all else:sachi:

I tried reading VNs at the office, the sfw ones however I couldn't enjoy it fully as I have to alternately shift from reading to writing technical paperworks, it just kills the experience and atmosphere of the VN.:makina:

Besides do you people really like some idiots watching those naughty scenes where the protagonist bangs the heroines and God knows what, it just feel so awkward :michiru:

Better keep our odd hobbies to ourselves:wafuu:

I usually read VNs at home despite owning laptops. My laptops are high powered laptops and won't survive long on batteries. Also, the last thing I want is to get unwanted attention.

At most... I watch my own Let's Play videos at the office. Easy to hide and I always censor unsafe parts before uploading it.

38 minutes ago, WorldofAI said:

I usually read VNs at home despite owning laptops. My laptops are high powered laptops and won't survive long on batteries. Also, the last thing I want is to get unwanted attention.

At most... I watch my own Let's Play videos at the office. Easy to hide and I always censor unsafe parts before uploading it.

Wait, you mean you record the let's play and then watch your own videos? What's the point if you have already played the game?

17 hours ago, kooolm said:

Wait, you mean you record the let's play and then watch your own videos? What's the point if you have already played the game?

From time-to-time, I enjoy rewatching parts of the game. Plus, it doesn't require as much concentration as it would if I was playing it fresh.

Outside of the home, you should always be alert for other things around you... especially when you're using an office computer to watch VNs.

At home. Never even had the idea to read VN-s on the road. Mainly because I don't travel that much and I also can't really immerse myself in it, if I have to worry about the surroundings. As for the idea that other games take up my time at home, well it isn't job is it? If I'm in a mood to play some other games I play other games, there is no point to force myself to read when I'm not in the mood. I'm still siting on the last route of hatsukoi, on the second route of tsujido and haven't even checked out Marrige Lunatics and I'm happyling playing witcher 3 at the moment :D

• 3 weeks later...

Funny thing is, in 2014 I was so hooked on Virtue's Last Reward that I brought my 3DS to the doctor's waiting room (that's what the console is for, right?). I literally couldn't stop playing. So the game has to be damn good, because so few games have caused this behaviour on me.