Entertaining RomCom VN's

Mikanmeister

Hi, Im currently new to VN's and looking for any good RomCom ones that isnt too boring. (because I easily get distracted :'v)

I just recently finished Wagamama High Spec, Princess Evangile, and Fureraba so I was kinda looking for titles that has elements similar to these.

Such as having a proactive main characterhumurous take at character interactions, and of course a good romance.

Thank you in advance :>

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate - Don't see this title in recommendation threads enough, so I thought I'll mention it here. Has elements similar to Princess Evangile, especially the romance aspect (which is pretty heavy and serious stuff). Do take note the common route is a bit boring to read through, you cannot go into other routes without finishing Chisato's one first (there are good reasons for this), and her involvement in other routes is heavy and her character is a bit dramatised. Still a very good Rom VN imo.

Princess Evangile W Happiness - For obvious reasons (being the FD of the original P.E)

Noble Works - Rom-Com charage with a setting which is very similar to P.E (Story is about a down on luck MC who gets to attend a prestigious school by chance and what happens there). Storyline is quite funny (especially in Shizuru's route). Good cast of likeable characters too.

To Heart 2 - Never read before, but could be what you are looking for

Rest of the stuff I can think of are repeated very often in the recommendation thread forums:

Clannad - Never played before, but accordingly to people everywhere (including in fuwanovel), a romance nakige with a story almost guaranteed to make you cry

Rewrite - MC is proactive. Common route is well written. Lucia's (one of the main heroine) route is great and pretty romantic. Main things to look out for are the story itself is pretty convoluted and written very long (latter parts of the story answer more questions than it answers), huge wall of text to read through in order to complete/understand the story, romance is not a central part of the VN, and there's a unfinished / open ending (I HATE this part of the VN)

Grisaia no Kajitsu - Common route is interesting, and comedic (but very long). Yuuji (MC) is pretty proactive. I like the heroines a lot, and the routes are deep and well written. One thing I would say about Grisaia is the romance is a bit thin comparatively   

The next couple of VNs will probably pop up at some point, but I think you should avoid them:

Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa o Hirogete - A cult fav. The art is simply gorgeous. I enjoyed the romance in the routes as well. However, the common route is SoL-filled and a bit boring to read though. It is also very heavy on the technical aspect of aviation throughout the entire VN which absolutely bored me to tears. 2 of the routes is a bit mediocre; 1 is quite a bit messily-written, while the 1st of another route is so generic and short, it makes it look like a Yuzusoft side route (I like Nicola's route in Dracu-Riot is better written).

Hatsukoi 1/1 - Slow, draggy, and SoL-filled story which can be insomnia inducing. It's quite over-dramatised too especially in the routes, with 1 route in particular so overly-dramatised that it puts soap operas to shame  

I second Kono Oozora https://vndb.org/v9093 . Music and visuals are great.

I second Clannad https://vndb.org/v4 . If you want a slice of life read, that packs an emotional wallop with it's themes. Bring a box of tissues. A really long VN though...

I second Grisaia no Kajitsu https://vndb.org/v5154 . This is the VN that got me hooked on the genre, and it's still my favorite VN. Incredible writing, loveable cast, an awesome protag, and loads of humor. You'll probably need some tissues though (it gets pretty damn serious at times)...

ef - a fairy tale of the two https://vndb.org/v88 . Awesome presentation and visuals, with some nice romance and drama.

Symphonic Rain https://vndb.org/v38 . For something different, and melancholic. The characters, and the setting have surprising depth.

Nekopara series. Each vol is rather short. But it's so over the top cute, adorable, and lewd. If you just want a short, mindless read (or fap material).... :makina:

In this case then I'll recommend Dracu Riot, and despite what people said about the translation it's really fully translated. Have same comedy as Noble Works, so you should be able to adapted to it easily. Other than that, maybe you can try Saku Saku as well. I hope my recommendations will be helpful to you

3 hours ago, phantomJS said:

Look at the comments in this blog thread

Pigs will fly if Virgin 'I Love Chrono Clock' Smasher's recommendations on Moege can be trusted :makina: (although Chrono Clock seemed to be appreciated as a good VN universally as far as I can find out :)  )

I don't love CC. I just think it's good. It has 2 shit routes and a pretty weak ending, so just like any other moege, it's far from perfect. However, it's still quite the fun read overall, hence why I recommend it every time moege comes up.

Edited by VirginSmasher

On 5/9/2018 at 2:24 PM, VirginSmasher said:

I don't love CC. I just think it's good. It has 2 shit routes and a pretty weak ending, so just like any other moege, it's far from perfect. However, it's still quite the fun read overall, hence why I recommend it every time moege comes up.

For my own information, what were the two shit routes? I actually did only one route and stopped playing (not because I thought it was bad, I dont know why tbh). Only route I did was the sister one, I thought it was ok, albeit a bit dumb. Was going to do Makoto route next...

Edited by FinalCloud

On 5/9/2018 at 8:18 AM, +StrikeR+ said:

Chrono Clock... more american...

lol. The translation has its share of issues, but "more american" is not one of them.

12 hours ago, Akshay said:

Overdrive stuff like Edelweiss or KiraKira

This is a good suggestion. I genuinely enjoyed Deardrops, in spite of a mediocre translation (still probably as good a translation as most of the other things people are recommending...). It's distinctive in its characters and themes, rather than being Yet Another High School Slice Of Life Comedy, while still hitting those sweet romcom notes.

For something in the general vicinity of what you're looking for, but still very different, maybe try Kindred Spirits? Great game with a solid English TL.

2 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

lol. The translation has its share of issues, but "more american" is not one of them.

Yes it is, there's a total bastadization of the text. They made various changes to the script to make it feel more "western" i have a decent understanding at least as far as voice spoken dialogue goes, and it hurt to see how they changed it up, i get that when you translate you also have to adapt but this goes way past that level, i hate it when they start tinkering the text thinking they know better, its what makes me be wary of official translations. Hell even Chusingura felt like a nicer read, it was filled with mistakes and misspellings, but they at least kept the original feel of the novel.

Okay, okay, I'm sorry I tried to start shit in this thread. Suffice to say, I agree that Chrono Clock is in some ways a failure of a translation, especially in terms of some of the conscious decisions made (about as much so as in terms of just lack of capability to do the text justice), but I think you're misunderstanding the way in which it's a failure of a translation.

I already made my suggestion for the thread, at any rate, so I'll stay out of it from here...

14 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Okay, okay, I'm sorry I tried to start shit in this thread. Suffice to say, I agree that Chrono Clock is in some ways a failure of a translation, especially in terms of some of the conscious decisions made (about as much so as in terms of just lack of capability to do the text justice), but I think you're misunderstanding the way in which it's a failure of a translation.

I already made my suggestion for the thread, at any rate, so I'll stay out of it from here...

I'm sorry if that came out to strong :(, i guess i'm really sensitive about it ever since they also ruined one of my favorite games by pulling this crap :/ (Tales of Zestiria)...

Edited by +StrikeR+

In my opinion, Zesty was never actually a great game to begin with. There were a number of issues with the story and writing that couldn't be fixed even with the best translation in the world.

On topic: It can get a bit heavy in the drama department during the heroine routes but the Da Capo trilogy, and Dal Segno as well to a much lesser extent, are some of my favorite VNs.

Hoshizora no Memoria is my favorite VN of all time and is very light hearted a majority of the time.

Noble Works was pretty fantastic if you can stomach the setting and the MC being downright pessimistic some of the time.

I also absolutely loved Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort and Canvas 2, though the both of them can again get kind of depressing during the actual routes themselves.

As for something that's more or less just fluff and yet still manages to be a fun read, I've only finished one route but I've been going through Magical Marriage Lunatics and been enjoying it a lot.