A VN that'll make me cry please.

Happiness+

So I finished all of Saya, and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I didn't find the game disturbing or scary at all. I guess I let my imagination get the better of me. All the hype just got into my head.

But, what really surprised me was that I was almost tearing up at the end of a particular route.

So I thought, "Wow, when was the last time I cried like a baby?" The answer being, never. I came close during a certain route with a certain waifu during Ever17, but bawling in front my computer...? That hasn't been done before. So, my challenge for you is to recommend me a game that'll leave me in tears.

Bonus points if the visual novel is medium length or shorter.

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

Non of these are in English though. Went through some of @Happiness+ old threads and replies. Don't think he can read non english VNs :rubycry:...

It's because I'm evil.  *tilts his head to the side quizzically* I thought this was an established fact.

3 minutes ago, Clephas said:

It's because I'm evil.  *tilts his head to the side quizzically* I thought this was an established fact.

I'm sorry, Lord Clephas! Please don't turn me into a piece of pulsing flesh which then turns into light greenish-yellow fluid that dissolves the unwary into nutrients  :rubycry:..

On topic: Maybe you can try Edelweiss. While it didn't exactly made me cry, two of the routes (Mei's and Haruka's) got me seriously emotional, and I was close to crying mid way into Haruka's route. Please take note the translation is seriously cringe-worthy though. You have to stomach it all the way through the common route

11 hours ago, phantomJS said:

Non of these are in English though. Went through some of @Happiness+ old threads and replies. Don't think he can read non english VNs :rubycry:...

Yup. Sorry about that.

11 hours ago, phantomJS said:

On topic: Maybe you can try Edelweiss. While it didn't exactly made me cry, two of the routes (Mei's and Haruka's) got me seriously emotional, and I was close to crying mid way into Haruka's route. Please take note the translation is seriously cringe-worthy though. You have to stomach it all the way through the common route

That sounds alright.

*Goes to the VNDB*

How hard would you study if a good GPA could take you to a sex paradise?

Not gonna lie, that gave me quite a chuckle under the pretext of a game that'll possibly get me emotional.

5 minutes ago, Happiness+ said:

That sounds alright.

*Goes to the VNDB*

How hard would you study if a good GPA could take you to a sex paradise?

Not gonna lie, that gave me quite a chuckle under the pretext of a game that'll possibly get me emotional.

Ignore that sysnosis. It's not a nukige or something (if that's what you are implying), but a proper Rom-VN

Again, take note of the bad and corny translation though (i cannot stress this enough), though just stomach it through the common route and you will be fine once you reach the routes (at least i didnt care about the TL anymore once i reached a route) :)

Edited by phantomJS

2 hours ago, Templarseeker said:

Clannad is a safe bet since it's widely popular as being emotional and tear jerking. Even the anime version is too! 

Kana Little Sister

That's the only titles I could think of:sachi:

I might take look at Clannad, I just feel intimidated by the sheer length of it. Like 1.3 million words.... that's steep.

I prefer to read visual novels like how I do regular novels like with the alchemist and The Game. One giant long binge. That's how I got through Kara No Shoujo,  F/SN, and the Higurashi series.

However, I am at the point in my life where I can't read a long VN (+50 hour) anymore. :rubycry:

Kana Little Sister sounds good too.

I'm a 37-38 year old man, who is very difficult to make cry ever. Though apparently, I'm more sentimental then I thought...

Here's a few VN's that have managed to do so...

Grisaia no Kajitsu https://vndb.org/v5154 . My first VN, and the first (and second) time I ever cried playing a game. One scene reduced me into a sobbing mess of despair, the other was an amazing bittersweet ending (the type that is typical in KEY novels). And one certain flashback will probably haunt you. Don't let the over the top comedy (in the common route), and the loveable sex crazed cast fool you...

Clannad https://vndb.org/v4 . If THIS doesn't milk your tears dry, I don't know what will. I cried over 25 times reading this (probably more then I did in my entire life). Pretty much anything made by KEY will milk you for tears...

Both of those are really long though (especially Clannad).

The House In Fata Morgana. It builds up. Then the latter half hits you and it's basically a 15 hour cryfest. You first cry because you can't take the feelings anymore, and then you cry, with relief this time because the plot decided to wind down for a few minutes.

They didn't for me, but Higurashi and Umineko have some really hard-hitting moments.

Steins; Gate (the anime at least) got to me hard. 

999 and Virtue's Last Reward (sold as "The Nonary Games" on recent platforms) got to me on many occasions. Same goes for Ever17.

Planetarian got to me by the end.

YU-NO got to me in a few moments.

Edited by Funyarinpa

1 hour ago, tahu157 said:

Trying to be Sadness- now? smh

I know man. Things change.

1 hour ago, Thyndd said:

You can try your luck with the one of my avatar, eden*

It's short, about 5-10h, and if you can get into it it's a beautiful experience.

Wooot. Finally a short one lolz.

9 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

The House In Fata Morgana. It builds up. Then the latter half hits you and it's basically a 15 hour cryfest. You first cry because you can't take the feelings anymore, and then you cry, with relief this time because the plot decided to wind down for a few minutes.

I was looking up that VN a month ago, because that art style is pretty unique.

7 hours ago, Overlord87 said:

And Muv-Luv Alternative. Definitely Muv-Luv Alternative, but you must be willing to invest 70+ hours on the whole trilogy.

Hmm, is it longer than F/SN because that took a whole month of reading?

13 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

it'll almost certainly make you feel like shit.

I haven't felt like that in years.