[Dropped] Baku Ane: I'll Squeeze it out, Little Brother Translation Project 18+

Archangel

Baku Ane ~We'll Squeeze it out, Little Brother!~ TL Project

Original Title: Baku Ane ~Otouto Shibocchau zo!~ (ばくあね ~弟しぼっちゃうぞ!~)

Developer: Atelier Kaguya BARE&BUNNY

Website: http://www.a-kaguya.com/products_bb/products_bb.html

VNDB Link: https://vndb.org/v13943

Synopsis:

The protagonist is a famous soccer player, but due to a leg injury from a game, he must now rest until it heals. When he returns home, he is warmly greeted by his 4 older sisters whom he hasn't seen for a long time.

However, because his clubmates have play a prank on him and fill his bag with  H-manga, their relationships immediately plummet after they find out about it.

While trying to explain the situation to no avail, one of them suggests that they themselves should help him escape the 2D world and be interested in healthy adult women. Little does he know, all of his sisters love him more than a brother.

And so, this is the beginning of a ridiculous erotic life between our protagonist and his 4 tempting older sisters.

Archangel's Thoughts:

Ugh, I'm sorry, but I couldn't look at that disgusting original post anymore. It looked so cringeworthy, and tried so desperately hard to be "KOOL" and "HIP" and "RAD". So, I cleaned up the opening post to look more presentable, and more straightforward.

Team:

Leader:

-Archangel

Translator:

-Alpha

Editor

-[redacted]

-QC

-Archangel

-Binary Editor

-TLC

Progress:

Prologue: 3555/3555 Lines (100%)
Normal Route: (0%)
Noemi (Chloe) Route: (0%)
Alice Route: (0%)
Yurine Route: (0%)
Mio Route: (0%)
Naru Route: 455/6125 Lines (0%)
Harem Route: (0%)

LINKS:

DOWNLOADS DISCORD TWITTER RECRUITMENT

Edited by Archangel
I wanted to clean up the original post, make it look more presentable. I have stepped down as translator, as well.

Good graphics, but the story setup is not the most interesting. Also VNDB has it as 2.8 nukige. I think there are plenty of people interested in such a title, but it seems that those who are tend to be silent, as in they don't post on boards or forums. Nukige is generally viewed as a bad thing for people here and on VNDB's boards. However nukige is also those who gets the most votes on VNDB, indicating that a number of people are indeed interested, but are less likely to have an account and post about it here. Because of this I suspect replies here could be misleading towards how many could be interested in your translation.

You are off to a good start. You have extracted the script, changed some text and managed to get it back into the VN. That can be a hard task to accomplish and some people translate thinking they can always figure out how to get the text back in later. That's not a good idea if later turns out to be never.

31 minutes ago, Archangel said:

but mainly because VNR wasn't working, and the translation tool it had decided to be a bitch one day

Do you mean VNR's ability to extract text or do "translation tool" refer to a machine translation? I suspect it can be read both ways.

By translation, do you mean you speak Japanese, or is this a machine translation? You mentioning VNR has me thinking it's the latter, in which case I honestly wouldn't recommend you go through with it. Machine translations are inaccurate, and serve little purpose, as everyone has access to programs like VNR, so if they want to read a machine translation, they can just do it themselves.

3 hours ago, Dergonu said:

By translation, do you mean you speak Japanese, or is this a machine translation? You mentioning VNR has me thinking it's the latter, in which case I honestly wouldn't recommend you go through with it. Machine translations are inaccurate, and serve little purpose, as everyone has access to programs like VNR, so if they want to read a machine translation, they can just do it themselves.

By translation, I mean, I'm going to look up translations via Translation Aggregator, and try to adapt it to at least make sense English speaking laguages. As far as I see it, it's gonna be:

60% Faithful Translation
20% Taking Liberties
20% Making phrases make sense.

6 hours ago, tahu157 said:

Who is the middle girl in that last picture and why is she not on VNDB?

According to one of the forums, her name is Alice Fel Elrange (アリス=フェル=エルランジュ). It's supposed to be French.

10 minutes ago, Archangel said:

By translation, I mean, I'm going to look up translations via Translation Aggregator, and try to adapt it to at least make sense English speaking laguages.

TA is a frontend to either machine translations or jparser. The latter is help for word splitting, kanji reading and dictionary lookup, making it an ok tool for human translation. It has the sideeffect of making translation work seem too easy, which can make inexperienced translators seem to think they do better than they do. If you take this approach, do make sure you have the grammar nailed down well, or jparser can lure you into thinking the sentence mean one thing while it's actually something else. Not long ago I wrote some examples of what can happen if you read a sentence without proper grammar skills. You can end up with a sentence where you can't tell which of the following is correct: "Bob's key does work", "Bob's key doesn't work". "Key's Bob does work". Obviously if you can't tell those apart, the translation will be garbage.

Since TA can provide both a machine translation and aid translators, you really haven't told us your approach and as such haven't answered the question.

1 hour ago, tymmur said:

Since TA can provide both a machine translation and aid translators, you really haven't told us your approach and as such haven't answered the question.

I have a TXT file which allows me to input my translation, and when I put in the translation, I adapt it to make sense to English, by narrowing it down to the most likely line.

I watched the hentai animation of this one. Good stuff. And I knew it had a VN, but obviously couldn't read it.

Regarding the project, good luck. Although I can't say I am very happy about the method, I guess it's better than nothing. I don't like machine TLs (or edited machine TLs for that matter) even when they are for nukiges, but since it's for free and doesn't really hurt to have it, it's okay. You have my support, I wish you success in your quest ^^ ...

4 hours ago, Archangel said:

I have a TXT file which allows me to input my translation, and when I put in the translation, I adapt it to make sense to English, by narrowing it down to the most likely line.

It's still not a clear answer, but I will assume it to be a machine translation for two reasons. One is how you mention adapting, which hints MT. The other is you don't seem to get what I'm talking about, something which should be clear if you would be translating yourself.

6 hours ago, Archangel said:

60% Faithful Translation
20% Taking Liberties
20% Making phrases make sense.

I don't think faithful translation is really possible with a machine translation. However you watched the anime, meaning you know the plot. It's nukige, meaning it's not plot heavy and last, but not least there exist something for hmanga, where it's "translated" without the knowledge of Japanese, meaning somebody looks at the pictures and makes up a new story. It's generally viewed as a bad thing because it's disrespectful to the original and hence the original author.

If you really want to go through with making a "translation" based on a machine translation, you should consider your writing skills and not be 20% liberal, but more like 60%. If the MT fails to provide something, which makes sense, then make up something. Read your story multiple times, edit it to make a good flow. It will be flamed for being a really bad translation (you can't avoid that), but if your intended reader is somebody who will use a machine translation anyway, then you can improve the reading experience. You have decided to slaughter the story already. You might as well go all the way if that is what it takes to make it at least worth something.

I have to point out that if you start with a machine translation, I will look down on it purely on principle. It's generally a horrible thing to do to a VN. However it's a nukige and you know the story from the anime, you might have a chance of at least making something, which could be enjoyable to read (providing you like the genre). Just call it a rewrite or something rather than a translation. I can't call anything based on a machine translation for a translation and doing so will trick the reader.

I might help you with the translation, but for one route at best... I'm not sure my brain is yet ready for so much h scene. I still would like to check if your translation is accurate or not first...

13 hours ago, tahu157 said:

Dude, that's fucking terrible advice.

I agree. Good advice would be to not use a machine translation. My point is that you shouldn't fool yourself into thinking the machine translation is accurate. If something looks odd, it's most likely because the machine translation already butchered the translation and you won't lose accuracy if you divert. A proper solution to "looks odd" is to get a human translation, but if you can get that, the need to use a machine translation in the first place will not exist.

I have tried to use machine translation to read a VN. In fact I read a few (short without story heavy plots, and didn't finish all) to get a general idea of what the talk about machine translations is all about. I don't feel like I would be able to contribute to pro vs con MT debates without personal experience and the result is that I won't recommend machine translations at all. My experience tells me that depending on writing style of the VN, the quality is between utterly useless to being able to get an idea of what goes on. Even when it goes well (by MT standards), it's still with maybe 30% of the lines where you go "ok, it didn't get that line right because it makes no sense at all". Other times it's more than 50% and the meaning of the entire scene goes away. The rest could sort of make sense, but it certainly lost the details and you end up with more like an incomplete summary of the line than the actual contents. A really annoying variation is one where the output looks ok, but it has little or no connection with the original, meaning it looks like it's correct for any non-Japanese speaking person, but it really isn't.

I would not recommend using a machine translation as a base for a translation. You can't really translate all lines with a tool, which completely misses the point in a significant number of lines. My advice is to not use a machine translation and bring you in a setup where you have this issue. Since you likely won't follow that advice, my next advice is to accept that your source material is of rather questionable quality. As a result, faithful to the original is gone and you should aim for reading enjoyment. Being faithful to a machine translation will likely end up losing both being faithfulness to the Japanese original and reading enjoyment, which I view as a worst case scenario for any English patch.

Personally I view the goal as being faithful to the original to a degree where a machine translation is useless and has never been around anybody actually using one for any text intended to be released as a translation. I consider my advice decent for anybody who against advice of several people have decided to make a translation based on a machine translation. Editing with the intend to stay faithful to the original only makes sense if you have a translation of at least average quality and you don't.

There is no question that being faithful should ideally be the intended goal for all translations. However as much as I used to hate people proclaiming this, you really need to learn Japanese in order to make a faithful translation. There are some rather arrogant people who proclaim using machine translations should be banned and that everybody should be forced to learn Japanese (some even go as far as to state translations themselves are bad regardless of quality). I hate people like that, but in your case there is a big difference compared to the normal debate. Unlike most people using machine translations, you intend to make something, which you plan to publish as a translation. The moment you intend to give your result to other people and especially the public, the accepted quality requirements becomes something completely different from what it is if it is for personal usage only. By releasing something, you take responsibility for releasing something suitable for the VN in question. You already somewhat fail here by using a machine translation. Please don't fail in reading enjoyment as well.

10 hours ago, tymmur said:

I agree. Good advice would be to not use a machine translation.

Okay, but you really should just say that instead of trying to arrive at that point with meandering and insulting bullshit about making it up as you go along. Sarcastic insincerity doesn't transfer well to text.

Also this isn't my thread.

So this VN is pretty much Imouto Paradise but with big sisters instead of little sisters.

Cool, then I'll an eye on this work then.

That being said, using a Machine Translation is something that I'm a bit skeptical about since most of the text that it spits out, reads like nonsense.  I've used them before and lets just say that the experience wasn't too thrilling.

Now that I've seen your work so far, it looks readable to me in terms of English (without considering the translation quality) so it's not Engrish, lol. If you can keep your sentences fluid like this without it sounding too robotic as well as making sense to these machine texts then I'll give this VN a shot.

Although, if you can find someone who will is willing to translate this VN then that would definitely be great too!

Just a major upda- Just a small update.

Okay, all joking aside, I have managed to get through half of the prologue. That being said,  I will need translators to translate the routes for me, as I cannot do everything myself. (I may type like one, but I am NOT a machine.) If you want to sign up, PM me, and I will send you the route scripts you want to work on. Thanks.

Current Progress:

Prologue: Line 1923/3555 (54%)

Naru Route: (0%)

EDIT: I have also ripped the menu graphics, so if someone can help me there, too, that'd be great.

Edited by Dergonu
Please do not embed NSFW pics

god damn, Pink Pineapple looks absolute shite.

Current Progress:

Prologue: Line 3555/3555 (100%)

Naru Route: (0%)

Gentlemen and Creatures, the Prologue has officially been finished! Now, keep in mind, this is not the final form of this translation. There will be errors, and I will have my editor, that's right, I have an editor now, take a look at the entire script, once it has been finished. The donwload link will be in my Tumblr Downloads page, which I will link right here, on this text.

My Tumblr is now open to anyone, so you can ask me anything, and apply to help with translating, or signing on to be an image editor, because I still need that, I really do. I really need it, because I've been fiddling with the files in GARBro, and the UI files are in some obsure file named .alp, like what? The Japanese are really weird...

Have fun with the patch, and as always,

LET  JUSTICE BE DONE,
AND LET
THE WORLD PERISH.

EDIT: Okay, I couldn't get the translation working, and it crashes every time I load the game. So, Imma work on that.

Edited by Archangel

Okay, I've worked out the kinks with the original patch file due to the amazing @binaryfail, and I've put a new link on my Tumblr. So , if you see anything wrong, or mistranslated, hit me up on my Tumblr, DivinityCure, or here on the forums.

And as always...

LET  JUSTICE BE DONE,
AND LET
THE WORLD PERISH.

Edited by Archangel
Added Link.

Hello, Fuwanovelists! As you can probably see, I edited the opening post, because, I'll be honest, I hated looking at that original post, so I cleaned it up to look presentable. You're welcome.

Plus, I've set up a recruitment page on my Tumblr, if you want to sign up. Here's the link.

Just a mini-update, nonetheless. Enjoy your day!

EDIT: For personal reasons, I have decided to step down as translator. Anyone who is interested, message me.

Edited by Archangel