How do you honestly feel about President Trump?

There was some user on the North Korean end war topic on Friday who said that trump was “Savior of The Free World”. @Zander thought the guy was trolling or something like that. They said they weren’t. I was genuinely curious as to why would someone support him. Since the NK and SK topic was getting derailed for this, I wasn’t surprised that my posts and the guys posts were cleaned off the topic. Which is why I am making this topic instead so we all can just talk about this. Sorry I forgot your name dude, but if you wanna defend your position. Please reply.

Any other trump supporter should do so too, because I wanna see what you think. 

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Donald Trump.

His regular moves against the deep state are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of Art of the Deal, most of his strategies go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Trump's hedonistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation. His personal philosophy draws heavily from Albert Camus and Friedrich Nietzsche, to just make a couple of examples.

The true Trump voters understand this stuff. They have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these moves, to realise that they’re not just intelligent, but his decisions are the best moves in the history of American government. As a consequence people who dislike Donald Trump are truly idiots. Of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Trump’s existential catchphrase “Build that wall” which itself is a cryptic reference to John Carpenter’s all-American epic Escape from New York.

I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Donald Trump’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens daily. What fools. How I pity them.

And yes, by the way, I do have a Donald Trump tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.

Emotionally unstable, egomaniac, con-artist, talented in nothing but marketing. Has no agenda and no values other than fueling his overblown ego and his pockets.

People that support him are either cynical (not caring what his values are as long as he delivers on some core promises, such as cracking down on illegal immigration) or delusional (thinking that he cares about anything but himself and possibly his closest family and that his MAGA "ideology" is anything more than an empty slogan). 

He can make positive desitions when he thinks they will serve those interest, but egomaniacs are easily manipulated through flattery etc. And with more and more war hawks populating his cabinet I wonder whether even his positive role in Korea will last longer than a few weeks. If someone can ruin that peace process it's definitely Mark Pompeo as the Secretary of State. Also his economic policies are disastrous and their effects will haunt USA possibly for many decades, even if the next administration tries to clean it all up. 

Edit: Yup, this is all a horrible idea but I couldn't resist. :vinty:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Hello I'm Zander and this is Jackass. Today I'll be talking about my political opinion. 

I think Trump has good ideas and bad ideas, like all leaders of all nations! Even the leader of North Korea has some good ideas, what with his recent movements towards peace. I think sometimes the path that Trump takes to his ideas, both good and bad, can be more brusque than is necessary. Nonetheless, I think we should evaluate his political stances rather than attacking him as an individual wherever possible. 

One thing I think we should do when discussing things is to be respectful. People get too easily inflamed or upset (myself included!) over things. Even if other people old different opinions, we are all Fuwans and should respect each other as such. For example, I hate lolicons and want the Blessed Lord to smite them with holy fire, but I'm not going to antagonise or disrespect someone here if that is their interest, and I would still be proud to call those same individuals my friend. 

In fact, I think bringing our opinions to the table and finding that we hold completely different views can be a great thing! Discussion of opposing values can be very fruitful so long as it is approached in a civilised way. In fact, I'd like to apologise to the individual who was upset by the previous thread, because my manner of speaking was unnecessarily rude and condescending. I have learned from the experience and in the future will think before I type so hastily. 

Let's all be friends, friends!

edit: why did this thread get moved tho? :blink: if this isn't topical discussion about something, I dunno what is... I thought CoC was for shitposting

Edited by Zander

I think the mere title of President of the United States is too corrupt. No single person should have that level of power (or anything even close to it). This goes for most positions of power imo. Most of us are too beholden to our fears for such a task....

As for Trump himself ........ I don't even know anymore. Half of my opinion might be due to my own biases, half of it might be due to media spin (especially when the media spins EVERYTHING nowadays).

Trump clearly seems incapable of the job, regardless. He mostly seems to be spinning his wheels in reaction to what others say...

Still, I'm glad this whole thing is going on. This whole crapstorm should act as a catalyst for future change. I don't want him to get impeached soon. I want the repubs to almost get wiped off the face of the earth come the next elections, seriously humbled (where they are still able to crawl back, after seriously overhauling themselves).

43 minutes ago, Zander said:

For example, I hate lolicons and want the Blessed Lord to smite them with holy fire, but I'm not going to antagonise or disrespect someone here if that is their interest, and I would still be proud to call those same individuals my friend.

...... I'll keep that in mind :makina:

as a u.s. citizen, this is how i feel. goodbye everyone. :kosame: those bombs will be coming for us any day now.

as for the president having such power, i believe the system needs to change. we're so caught up on democratic side or republican side that its usually at this point just a tug of war with voters. AND some people in congress have been there a looooooot longer than any president. they need to step out so new perspectives can take their place.

This is likely one of the hardest posts I will ever write here. I will try to write why some people love Trump without saying anything about what I think.

I already mentioned in the other thread that all media is biased and because of that I try to get news from media biased in both directions. From what ended up on wikileaks, a number of news media worked together with Hillary's campaign like they were part of the campaign. The list is: CNN, NY Times, Washington Post, Hufftington Post, Boston Globe, though I'm not sure if I can remember the entire list. CNN is Hillary's 8th biggest donor, NY Times is owned by the richest man in Mexico and when asked about it, he turned out to be the only man in Mexico without a clue to who Trump is. Washington Post is owned by the same people who own Amazon. Trump has said he thinks Amazon is too big and has talked about anti-trust, which will force Amazon to be split up to avoid a monopoly. If you get your news from those or from somebody who relays news from those, then Trump is an idiot. A lot of non-English media use those as source for what goes on in America.

Fake news is actually a thing. Melania Trump sued a newspaper because they wrote she used to work as a prostitute. The newspaper then openly admitted they had no source to the story and settled out of court. NY Times quoted Trump "we pay the highest taxes in the world" and then wrote it was false because some other country has higher personal income tax. Trump said "We pay the highest taxes in the world for companies".

If you want to read news not strongly against Trump, then try Washington Times.

One more thing to add about the media is that Obama repelled an old law, which states the media is supposed to inform the population. Now they are allowed to tell the population what they are supposed to think (aka propaganda), something which was banned prior to Obama.

With all this in mind, if you sit outside of America and use the media as the only source of information, you get a very different picture of what goes on compared to what a lot of Americans experience. The average Trump supporter lives in red counties (I will not say states. Trump won a lot of counties in blue states and something like 80% of all counties). What they care about is their own economy, job safety, crime level, children's education etc.

List of what Trump has done for them:

Cut company taxes. Companies have reacted by not firing people, hiring more people and given bonuses. A lot of people got $500 or $1000 when the tax cut was announced, though some got up to $3000. This has taken care of private economy and jobs. It can get better, but it's not like under Obama where production moved out of the country and people feared getting fired all the time.

Education. Trump is removing the laws at federal level and putting the individual states in charge of education laws. This is classic republican ideology: move decisions from Washington to the states or better yet to the individual cities. Democrats wants power to move the other way. Trump has now taken first step to end "Common Core", which is an apparently very disliked system. Some people go as far as to call it democrat indoctrination of children. I don't know if that is right, but the math stuff I have seen is horrible. From what I can tell, I could get all the right results, yet score 0 points because it's all about some weird way to calculate rather than calculating like people have done for centuries and the right answer gives 0 points if it doesn't use the method Common Core has invented themselves.

Crime and security. Republicans wants to have guns to defend themselves and they point to the constitution where it's written that the population should be armed. (Founding fathers stated that this is needed to protect against tyranny, including from their own government). Democrats wants to ban guns in order to take guns from criminals. Republicans see that as disarming the lawful while keeping the criminals armed as they don't care if they break 4 or 5 laws.

The government is losing control of parts of Mexico because some brutal gangs are taking over. They operate in multiple countries and one of them being the US. They bring lots of drugs, steal and murder the locals. Trump wants to build a wall to stop that and the wall is in fact under construction. Trump stated that the wall should have doors in it so that people can enter, but only lawful people.

Democrats seem to think that illegal aliens are victims and needs to be protected from the federal government. As a result, some places (particularly California) will not arrest them or release them from jail without letting them serve their time and they try to ignore court orders to kick them out of the country. As a result if you are an American citizen and murder somebody, you will spend ages in jail while foreigners can be out and murder somebody else next year and it has happened. Some high school girl in California was raped and murdered. Other students at the school made some sort of memorial with something like "we miss you" or something. The school went bananas and removed it because the murderer was an illegal alien and it was apparently hate towards him. He had been expelled 3 times prior to this.

It should be noted that while the illegal aliens come from Mexico, quite a number of them aren't Mexican. Mexico has become a transit country and people from places like Afghanistan will also get into the country by that route and some have done so.

I think that's the main points in why a lot of Americans love Trump. It's partly what he does and partly hatred towards what the democrats wants to do.

Edited by tymmur

I feel like I'm the only person in the universe who finds Trump amusing in many ways, while not supporting him. It's like everyone else is either a crazy Trump supporter who talks in memes and worships the man, or they hate Trump with a fervor and distrust anyone for whom revulsion isn't their primary attitude toward Trump.

Also, lately I've been fixated on the idea of a moe version of Trump, like "My Girlfriend is the President" except more directly based on actual personality traits. Because there's such an insane number of weird stuff Trump does and says. Think about it. "covfefe" would be the equivalent of "uguu". His stupid nicknames for everyone. His smug obsessions with walls and deals. So much of this stuff is appalling to see in a grown man, but I honestly think it could be endearing in a moe character. Basically some combination of Suzumiya Haruhi (charismatic, unreasonable, rampaging) and Aqua from Konosuba (irresponsible, vain, obsessed with her own personal philosophy and deeply fond of her worshipers). Am I broken?

1 hour ago, mitchhamilton said:

as for the president having such power, i believe the system needs to change. we're so caught up on democratic side or republican side that its usually at this point just a tug of war with voters. AND some people in congress have been there a looooooot longer than any president. they need to step out so new perspectives can take their place.

A bit off topic, but yes, it is an issue that the voting system is a winner takes all. Imagine it being a European system. Somebody starts a new party, they get 3% of the votes and then they get 3% of the seats. This would result in a lot of parties (particular in such a diverse country) and movements like the Tea Party would form a new party instead of conquering an existing one. Sanders would also have had his own party.

The US system was made without parties in mind and it worked well at first. It broke completely when politicians decided to join into groups (parties) instead of running as individuals, though that is a general issue with modern democracy, not just the US.

The UK has a winner takes all system as well. As a result, Labour has around 40k votes for each seat (and they have 250 or something). UKIP has 1.5 million votes and one seat because being second in a lot of places gives nothing. Sweden has a ballot for each party and everybody can see which ballot people pick up prior to voting and there is a risk that there are no more ballots for the party you want to vote for, meaning you just can't vote for the politician you planned to vote for. There are plenty of ways to implement democracy in some way, which doesn't work well and doesn't keep to the spirit of democracy.

2 minutes ago, MayoeruHitori said:

Am I broken?

You have an account here, so yes.

7 hours ago, tymmur said:

I think that's the main points in why a lot of Americans love Trump. It's partly what he does and partly hatred towards what the democrats wants to do.

You make one mistake in your argument, that is connecting why people love Trump with his actual policies after the election. The fact is, Trump now has a record-low approval rating for president in mid-term (consistently below or at 40%) and for example, the tax reform you mentioned has as an approval rating around 20-30% and it's positive effects are much more minor than what your post would suggest (the raises and companies that resigned from laying people off or hired more workers without already planning to do so are more anecdotes than any kind of overwhelming trend). I'm pretty sure that very little of what he actually does now have to do with how much support he got during the election - apart from things that have little to do with Trump himself and are basic elements of Republican agenda, such as the 2nd Amendment issues (he wasn't even really that outspoken about it, he just defends the status quo).

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

My opinion of Trump hasn't changed a single bit since before he became president... anyone who looks at his past can see that he is someone who is fundamentally incapable of telling the truth when it is inconvenient for him, has an ego the size of a blue giant, and cares for nothing but himself and those in his immediate circle.  He wants adulation but he isn't willing to actually work for it, so he drags others down to make himself look better in comparison.  Worse, he deliberately poisons the world around him, uncaring that what he is destroying is more important than any one man's ego.

He isn't a conservative, he isn't a nationalist, and he certainly isn't a leader.  I don't even like so-called 'conservative values' as they are currently defined, but it is fairly obvious he doesn't have a value system other than narcissism. 

This is a man who didn't even pay his own debts.  This is the man that bankrupted contractors, ruined lives for no better reason than because he could, and found his only real success in business as a reality TV show host.  If it weren't for the talents of people within his organization and the massive amounts of capital his parents and his own children have managed to build, he would have been in the poor house decades ago.

Since he has become president, cronyism and nepotism have become the norm, and this is proven by the sheer number of his appointees who have indulged in various types of personal corruption (and got caught at it) since he became President.  Worse, this was all preventable if he had just taken the time to actually properly vet his appointees for such character flaws in the first place, rather than handing out important positions like candy to his personal supporters.  This is a man who desperately wants to protect his own ego but is sabotaging himself constantly because he is a terrible judge of who can be trusted. 

... also, I had thought we learned with President Grant that appointing cronies and family to positions in government is always a bad idea... And his bad habit of putting the fox in the henhouse got old months ago.

3 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

You make one mistake in your argument, that is connecting why people love Trump with his actual policies after the election. The fact is, Trump now has a record-low approval rating for president in mid-term (consistently below or at 40%)

During the last election in the UK, Labour and Conservative would both get around 260 seats according to all the polls and it was seen as fairly certain because all the polls agreed. Labour lost big time and got around 200 on election day while Conservative won something like 330 seats. Parliament then made a commission to investigate how the polls could all agree, yet be so wrong. The result is as follows:

In order to save time and money, polls are done online. They pay people to log in and click on some boxes, kind of like how polls work here. Only one poll was done the old way by phone and that one turned out to be nearly correct. However since it was so off compared to everything else, the people behind it decided they had messed up and didn't publish it. It turns out that people who work for less than minimum wages to answer questions online are heavily biased towards the left, social welfare and open borders.

The conclusion seems to be that all polls should be done by phone. After all that approach is an actual science in regard to how to treat the results to compensate for whatever bias your sample might have and has proven to be fairly correct ever since people got phones. However this approach is dying. It relies on everybody to have a landline phone with a phone number matching the area code. The number of people without a landline is growing and even those with one has gained the ability to keep their phone number when they move, meaning area code is no longer a 100% sure way of finding a random person in city X. The question on how to get accurate polls in the future is a really good one and so far nobody have figured out the answer.

Polls were wrong with UK election, Brexit, Trump losing primary, Trump losing to Hillary. Now why should we trust the polls saying people still don't like Trump?

4 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

tax reform you mentioned [...] and it's positive effects are much more minor than what your post would suggest

The question is why people support Trump and what I wrote here is what a Trump supporter is likely to think. We can debate all we want about how correct such statements are, but it will not change the fact that Trump supporters are likely to mention this and believe it, meaning it is the proper answer to OP. I will not debate the accuracy of the effect of the tax reform because as I started by stating: it's not about what I think. Besides if I am to debate something like this, I would need access to reliable facts to back up my statements. If I say anything without knowing the facts, I might as well argue the Earth is flat and I'm not going to do that.

15 minutes ago, tymmur said:

Polls were wrong with UK election, Brexit, Trump losing primary, Trump losing to Hillary. Now why should we trust the polls saying people still don't like Trump?

Really, polls weren't that wrong when it goes to Republican primaries and general elections, most of it was very close or even within the margin of error (especially if we look at the polls made just before the events - news sites sometimes reported aggregate values from longer periods of time and skewed the results in that way). Here the much more important part than the full accuracy of the final numbers is the relative values - these polls were done in the same way as polls about previous presidents and it shows that, even in his best moments, he's much less popular than previous presidents were (for example, he had a relative high point lately and was still 4-5% below the lowest-ever ratings for Obama - have that along with the fact that Obama started his term at the beginning of deep economic crash that nagtively affected millions upon millions of Americans and Trump took over in the moment when economy was steadily recovering). Plus good polls usually take in consideration the unequal representation of certain groups in their samples - if very conservative Republicans are hander to reach, they will weight their votes more - I'm pretty sure most of these polls actually give Trump more credit than what they actually hear from people.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Plus good polls usually take in consideration the unequal representation of certain groups in their samples - if very conservative Republicans are hander to reach, they will weight their votes more - I'm pretty sure most of these polls actually give Trump more credit than what they actually hear from people.

You are right, but the question is what the multipliers to use to get the correct weighting of voters. During the primary NY times had somebody they claimed to be an expert in statistics and polls (I can't remember who he was) and he stated that it seems that the usual groups used in the polls no longer applies when considering exit polls and results. Evangelists should have voted for Ted Cruz, but they voted for Trump. Hispanic were predicted to vote against Trump, yet he got around 60% (at least in some states). The higher the concentration of democrats in an area, the more likely the republicans were to vote for Trump. He concluded that since this conflicted heavily with the models, he would not be able to predict anything. Trump is so different from other candidates that the historical data the models and weighting relies on doesn't apply. Now if we had results from Trump running for president 4-5 times, then we will be able to get historical data to make proper polls about him, but with just one it becomes more guessing and less scientific approach.

EDIT: White House political team says Democrats can wave midterm predictions goodbye. Apparently the approval rating means nothing and right-direction/wrong-track has the historical evidence for midterm seat losses. If this is true, then the democrat talk about gaining majority will come to nothing.

Edited by tymmur

Never underestimate the disparity in political views between you and a given person.

I can't understand why tattered (and old) ideologies such as nazism and communism still have considerable following. But then again, I don't think like those people.

Our personal stories can trace a path for us to follow a given ideology or to support a certain politician. For example, some people like how communists present themselves as History's chosen ones to save us all, so they're all in for it. Other people fear the doom of Europe at the hands of migrants, and thus align themselves close to fascist views.

Trump is same old shit -an alleged saviour who isn't going to change anything dramatically. In a way, Obama was the same (not in political stance but in the hope of a big change) and also failed.

Big leaders like Mao or Stalin did dramatic changes, and some respect them for it; too bad that there was a lot of repression, people thrown in jail or killed. Then again, don't fear for Trump, because he operates within a democracy, unlike these leaders. You can't just trample over the opposing party or even discordant voices within your own party. Trump is not omnipotent.

4 minutes ago, Okarin said:

Then again, don't fear for Trump, because he operates within a democracy, unlike these leaders. You can't just trample over the opposing party or even discordant voices within your own party. Trump is not omnipotent.

That's pretty much why a lot of the doomsayers are wrong about Trump. Even if they are right that Trump wants to kill the planet or whatever, he is just one person. If he say decides to act like Pol Pot and make mandatory death penalty for wearing glasses or being left handed, then congress will say no. In fact it's quite common for congress to reject what the president wants to do.

There are executive orders where the president can make laws without asking congress. However the idea is that it is supposed to be well defined what kind of orders the president can make and congress can pass a law to counter if they disagree. Obama made some order regarding getting rid of coal, congress countered it with a new law and then Obama vetoed that law, making the executive order stand. That is not how it's supposed to work. Trump haven't done so and likely wouldn't get away with it. Speaking of veto, if a qualified majority pass a law in congress (60% or 2/3 or something), then the president loses the ability to veto. If say 70% of congress is pro or against something, then it doesn't matter at all what the president wants to do.

In short calling Trump a dictator or the new Hitler or anything like that is as farfetched as calling the democrats alien reptilians, who have come to take over the planet. There are people like that on both sides and while they work hard on getting attention, we better not give it to them. I view it mainly as a variation of trolling.