Forums Outage

Tay

Thank you everyone for all the hard work. The forums look incredible and they have a nice fresh feel to them. The only complaint that I have is that when you post a picture in a reply, the picture shows up in the box and it takes up quite a bit of room depending on the picture size. Even with that, great job with everything and keep up the good work.

The only complaint that I have is that when you post a picture in a reply, the picture shows up in the box and it takes up quite a bit of room depending on the picture size.

Thats exactly how it was on the previous if you used the rich text editor option. Now it is the default setting and I don't know if it can be turned off.

what you can do is write the image manually like

[img] image url [/img]

Thats exactly how it was on the previous if you used the rich text editor option. Now it is the default setting and I don't know if it can be turned off.

what you can do is write the image manually like

[img] image url [/img]

Oh, I see. Oh well, it's nothing more than a minor annoyance anyway.

yep, it's working again.

The feature was disabled, should be working again now. (If this change was deliberate let me know Tay)

Yes, this was deliberate.  Neither users nor mods should be allowed to change user titles.  We're in the process of changing the way this is done.  There will be an announcement when plans are finalized.  Sorry!

[img] image url [/img]

Yep lightboxes can be turned off.

Also thanks for clarifying that Tay, so sorry, no custom titles until this is sorted out!

Edit: Want to clarify a little, Tay? Reasons and motivations, plans for the future?

Edited by Nayleen

Edit: Want to clarify a little, Tay? Reasons and motivations, plans for the future?

Yes, I'd be happy to: aside from a few cases of abuse and extremely poor judgement by a few titles, the main reason is that Batman and I have been working on some ideas for improved forum participation. This is part of that, and when the ideas are better prepared, we'll approach the forums with them. Regardless of how it manifests, I will absolutely conform that title changes will still be possible. They're a fun part of the community.

One thing, the special BB codes are in separate menu when posting, I think few of them that are used a lot should be separate buttons by default (instead of that twitter button) , so you don't have to go to the special menu every time you want to post them.

I am mostly talking about spoiler tag and media tag.

For information's sake (taken from the Contribution thread):

Why didn't you move to something free like phpBB/SMF/etc...? (My preference is for SMF, they're quite good.)

Nayleen and I spent two weekends and the week in-between making the transition to both phpBB and SMF. Neither phpBB nor SMF offers direct conversion from IPB, and our test required a vBulletin intermediate conversion (supplied by Qberty).  A lot of data was lost or corrupted in the move.  Not to mention that after the conversions were done, the overwhelming consensus was that the community didn't like either option. After 120 man-hours of work, Nayleen and I realized it would take another 75-100 to restore lost functionality to either platform, with an unknown amount of bug-fixing and troubleshooting. At that point, time is money, and we'd both sacrificed too much "in real life" to justify taking more time with this project.  Not to mention loss due to the forums being offline.

That's a lot of the story, but truthfully, many more factors went into the decision to return to IPB.  I didn't make the decision lightly, but I feel the overwhelming positive response has justified it.