Dreamysyu

What do you like more?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like more?

• Linear plots
    • Branching plots
    • Both/Neutral
    • Other

Note: in this post I'm talking only about plotge. In romance-focused VNs and charage routes often work perfectly as different what-if scenarios and they don't really have to connect to each other in any way other than thematically, and there are usually no problems with how they're handled. Which is understandable, considering that the classical eroge system of routes originates from dating sims, and thus generally works well with romance-focused games.

First of all, I'd like to say that I really like the way how many VNs handle branching plots. The fact that you can basically combine several possible plot-lines into one story and explore all the different contradicting possibilities of what could possibly happen in one story is one of the reasons that originally made me fall in love with the VN medium. It's also a great way to show all the different ways how characters could develop in the different circumstances. It's especially true with the protagonists, and a good popular example is Fate/Stay Night. Another thing that make branching plots work better in my opinion is how different routes often compliment each other in presenting mystery and the world-building. In different branches of the story the protagonist can take completely different roles and explore the setting of the VN from different sides. Thus, the authors basically take the good point of both 1st and 3rd person narratives.

At the same time, I start to notice that... the branching stories often have quite a lot of flaws, compared to the stories that take one plot-line and follow it to the end. The first flaw is that not all stories work equally well with multiple routes. Thus we come to a "ladder-type" route structure, where we have the main story-line and all the different routes, focused on non-main heroines, branching out at its different points. The apparent problem with this type of storytelling is that the authors often focus their attention strictly on the main route, and the side routes become pretty mediocre. And the second flaw I see with the branching plots ironically lies in the same field as one of the strengths: in character development. Linear story-lines by definition allow for uninterrupted character development for the whole length of a story, and doesn't have to "reset" at each route. And you know, I think this second flaw is the main reason why so many highest rated VNs on vndb are either linear, or almost linear, in one way or another.

I want to bring an example of a story that wouldn't really work as branching story, unless the branches are very short. I personally adore slow-paced "growing-up" stories, where we can see over the years, starting with their childhood, how the protagonist becomes acquainted with new people and interacts with them, how his or her worldview slowly changes with time, and how they learn new things about the world. I think, there are some romance-based VNs that attempt something similar, but this particular type of the story simply doesn't work in the VN format, and one of the reasons is that you can't really make it into multiple routes. (Actually, if you know this type of the story in a VN, I'm always open to your recommendations! :mare:) I personally would love to see more linear VNs which wouldn't attempt to make multiple romantic routes in stories that don't need it, but, considering how most VNs that come out are eroge, and that the market for VNs like that is much smaller, I understand that it's a pretty empty dream. (Note: I'm not saying that VNs like that should replace the multiple-route VNs, I'm just saying that I'd like to see more of them).

So, I'd like to present you a few questions to discuss in this thread:

• Do you prefer branching or linear story-lines to each other, and why?
  • Are there some other advantages/disadvantages that multiple-route VNs have compared to linear stories, and do they matter to you.
  • Do you think there's something wrong with how VNs handle routes in general, and would you like it to change in some way?
  • What branching VNs, in your opinion, would work better if they were linear, and, vice versa, do you think that there are some linear VNs that would work better if they had multiple routes?
  • Any other things I brought up in my post.

Well, that's all.

4 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Do you prefer branching or linear story-lines to each other, and why?

Branching all the way, I can like Linear plot depending on the VN, but, I prefer when the story branches into multiple paths. It is because I like to see the story develop on different angles and with different characters each time, It allows some characters that would be just supports in linear stories, to shine with their own personality and motives. Also MRM mostly works with branching plot. :makina:

6 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Are there some other advantages/disadvantages that multiple-route VNs have compared to linear stories, and do they matter to you.

Well, you mostly said everything that I had in mind on this point, so I'll not repeat things. xoP

But to give an example, VNs like Gogatsu no Sora and Planetarian wouldn't work with the branching system, since, they are written in a very linear fashion and having extended branches would only interrupt the flow. 

8 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Do you think there's something wrong with how VNs handle routes in general, and would you like it to change in some way?

Mostly not, but, I really dislike when VNs don't use their setting to their fullest on the routes. It makes the common route fell pointless.

Well said, man.

I like both formats because it all depends on the story. In one hand, I like branching plot to explore new plot points and get new love interests, but at the same time I feel that linear story lines have less problems to handle its own lore. I mean, some VNs with multiple routes have a hard time to keep their routes from contradicting each other rules and flashbacks.

I will have to go with the normal and perhaps boring answer of depends. I have found VNs which have really not very enjoyable side-routes (G-senjou no Maou, ouch, why do you do this, you should have left it at one route) and stories that have, in my opinion, really well functioning side-routes (like Grisaia). I think you generally summed up my thoughts pretty well with your second and third paragraph about choices. 

If I were to add something however I would say that I personally really enjoy choice as a cause and effect kind of game mechanic, I love to see how my actions influence the world and its inhabitans. Especially if major changes can happen to the world outside of just which person you get together with. I do not really like how most VNs today (or atleast those I have read) have taken away this mechanic about major cause and effect and made it more about - here you go here are four choices for four heroines and the choices really do not make sense as to why you get your outcome (oh you went to the grocery store? Then that means you get to get together with Girl or Boy A). In these situations I do not feel like I am having any cause and effect depending on myself with meaning picking a certain choice and more like I am playing some kind of dice game to figure out who I land on and if I will have to revert back to the choice to go again. 

I am also not a fan of how when you go through some linear games sometimes you are forced to replay the entire game to get a new part of the story and you have no clue where the new content starts. Sometimes in these games you can skip dialogue to get to the new content but in some games that does not happen and you are left wondering what you have or have not read. If you in these situations miss really important information it can easily ruin your fun and you will be none the wiser as to why you are not getting what the characters are talking about.

If I were to say what my dream VN choice management would be it would probably be a game all too branched out and too expensive to make with a bunch of different choices that effect large portions of the story, world and characters. It would also be a game where the choices do not seem minor, but actually seem to have meaning and make you actively think about what you would do in the situation.

11 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

(Actually, if you know this type of the story in a VN, I'm always open to your recommendations! :mare:)

As I am currently reading Sakura no Uta, a linear VN with no choices (that make any difference to the story) and a, in my opinion, really good story that over time explain your character's life from childhood till now (whereby plot gets revealed), I thought I might leave you with that suggestion (it is not translated yet though :/)

Edited by Weiterfechten

Definitely branching. I still remember playing eleven eyes, where I had to replay the last two hours of the main route 4 times with the 4 different chicks to unlock the true end. If it's just the same story where you pick a different gal pal the VN loses most of its replay value.

• Do you prefer branching or linear story-lines to each other, and why?

Branching, as I believe all stories are ultimately more satisfying when seen from different perspectives (of course only if they are done right). Also, a lot of story-focus VNs have to have branching routes incorporated into the title by default because of how they are written; can you imagine Rewrite being told from only 1 perspective?

• Are there some other advantages/disadvantages that multiple-route VNs have compared to linear stories, and do they matter to you.

There is nothing inherently wrong with multiple routes plotges and Linear plotges by themselves. What matters is how the storyline itself is written; I would feel pretty weird having to read Planetarian with multiple routes and Ever17 linearly

• Do you think there's something wrong with how VNs handle routes in general, and would you like it to change in some way?

A lot of VNs treats multiple routes like alternate times streams instead of incorporating them properly into the storyline. Not a fan of this and wish companies can do more to change this. of course I'm not asking them to 100% the routes into the main storyline/theme, but instead hope that many routes in many VNs doesn't have so many glaring differences 

• What branching VNs, in your opinion, would work better if they were linear, and, vice versa, do you think that there are some linear VNs that would work better if they had multiple routes?

Can't think of any :P

• Any other things I brought up in my post.

One think I can think of is freshness of a long multi route plotge as opposed to a linear plotge. While, like you said, a linear plotge allows for better and uninterrupted character development, in a long title I think I will feel very bored reading about the 2/low number of characters for a long time. Thus, I believe linear titles should always have short stories, while it's almost mandatory for longer titles to have multiple routes.

As long as it is not the 'ladder style progression' or a 'split off at the very last second' branching path, I can honestly say I'm fine with both linear and branching paths. 

Edit: To clarify, I mean VNs where the heroine endings/paths split after the climax of the story... it always feels like a cop-out on the part of the writers to me.

In my experience, linear VNs tend to tell a much tighter, not as meandering story as VN with branches. A VN with branches, though, can work out just as well if each branch is handled with the same amount of care and none of them feel wasted or less important. I've never quite understood enforced playing order in a VN with true routes since the true route, usually, nullifies anything else that happened previously. 

Both can work very well. Umineko with choices would've probably been unbearable, whereas Steins;Gate's true ending is way too fucking convoluted to get. The House In Fata Morgana only employs choices that lead to a bad ending almost immediately and that works in its favor, while YU-NO's sheer hell of choices, routes and brances serves to flesh out its world and themes in a very memorable and entertaining way.

If we're talking about the true route/no true route debate, I prefer there to be a true route. Not necessarily something that invalidates all other routes, but I want the game to wrap things up after you explore all individual routes in a sensible way. Otherwise it feels more like busywork, to me at least. Not that I've played any charage VN without a true route, maybe except... Muv Luv Extra and Grisaia.