What was the worst online argument you ever been in?

Happiness+

1 hour ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

The difference between a conspiracy theorist and a scientist, is that mathematics is backing up the scientific fact, mathematics is the answer to any scientific doubt.

I can't really agree with this claim. Mathematics is never the final word in any scientific theory, there are tons of theories that are very logical and "beautiful" that simply turn out to be wrong in an experiment. It's more like: (real) scientists base their theories on actual experiments and observations, and conspiracy theorists believe all observations contradicting their viewpoint to be set up by lizard-people. Technically, it's impossible to prove them wrong since they are always going to find another bullshit argument to make their arguments seem valid, but this way of thinking is just completely irrational, and contradicts any reasonable methods of finding the truth.

Just now, Dreamysyu said:

I can't really agree with this claim. Mathematics is never the final word in any scientific theory, there are tons of theories that are very logical and "beautiful" that simply turn out to be wrong in an experiment. It's more like: (real) scientists base their theories on actual experiments and observations, and conspiracy theorists believe all observations contradicting their viewpoint to be set up by lizard-people. Technically, it's impossible to prove them wrong since they are always going to find another bullshit argument to make their arguments seem valid, but this way of thinking is just completely irrational, and contradicts any reasonable methods of finding the truth.

I'm a huge math nut, that's why i said that. www

Worst online argument: this one

3 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

The difference between a conspiracy theorist and a scientist, is that mathematics is backing up the scientific fact, mathematics is the answer to any scientific doubt.

It's a really good quote. I really like it. It's just a shame it's used incorrectly.

There are two issues with your "proof".

1: the angle stuff. It sounds ok to me and is not farfetched according to either math or physics, but I have two issues with it. One is if that's the case, why haven't I encountered this before? Also is it correct? I need a better source than "somebody on the internet said it" before I will start to accept it as fact. I expect you to treat my statements the same if you are really interested.

2: assuming you are correct about the reflection, it does not provide any sort of proof to tell if the reflectors are placed by humans or machines and as such can't be used to proof presence of humans.

This is precisely why I didn't want to talk about this. It turned into the religious talk I feared rather than an objective one. I get the feeling you learned somewhere that the reflectors are the ultimate proof of the Apollo missions. When I question it as such a proof, your reaction isn't to reflect on what I wrote, but rather to maintain your stand and yell conspiracy theorist and science denier, which in this case is just as good as "it's true because my mom says so". Your statements in the last two posts insinuates that you question my sanity. I find that quite harsh considering you assume me to assume the Apollo missions to be fake despite the fact that I explicitly stated I won't make such a statement because there is no solid proof to support a claim like that. I don't really care if you believe the Apollo missions or not, or if you believe the moon is a giant floating egg or whatever. What I do care about is how you assume statements from me, which I didn't make and that way try to make me look foolish.

1 hour ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

I'm a huge math nut, that's why i said that. www

Me too (well not nut, but very interested and skilled), but math is not the answer to everything. You need to learn about garbage in, garbage out as this is a scenario where the result is wrong despite the math being perfect. Also I can't really see how math alone can provide the answer to the question if the reflectors are placed by a human being or by a remote controlled machine, particularly if it has to be proven as in no assumptions, which can turn out to be wrong.

Edited by tymmur