Need a vn translator other than vnr

ITH+TA is my preferred approach because TA has jparser, which rather than translate will assist in allowing you to read Japanese. You do need to study some Japanese to get started, particularly grammar, but it doesn't take much studying before you reach the quality provided by a machine translation. It will however take quite a lot of work to reach a level where you don't have to rely heavily on TA+jparser to understand anything at all, but that's not worse than relying on a machine translation.

I use ITH and Firefox with Rikaisama (an extension to translate words and phrases) and a clipboard inserter (another extension) for reading. If you want a thorough explanation I would recommend the place where I got the idea from; https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/wiki/vnhooking.

Beware however that you have to use an outdated version of the Firefox web browser since Rikaisama is outdated (I do not use Firefox for anything else, so no real worries about it being outdated).

In terms of ease of use it is pretty good and I have not really encountered any noticable bugs so far that completely breaks the program (unlike Chiitrans, which I tried before). You will however need to use some creativity and grammar knowledge to understand the sentences (which might be slightly hard if you know no Japenese) to completely understand the message since it only translates the meaning of the words and not really the grammar. 

Edited by Weiterfechten

6 minutes ago, Weiterfechten said:

Beware however that you have to use an outdated version of the Firefox web browser since Rikaisama is outdated (I do not use Firefox for anything else, so no real worries about it being outdated).

Rikaichan has made a statement about this issue.

If you still want to use this version of Rikaichan, you will need to use a Firefox-based browser that still support XUL-based addons like Firefox ESR (until around May 2018), Waterfox, Pale Moon and Basilisk.

The benefit of using browsers mentioned here is that they get updated and as such should be safer than relying on an outdated version of firefox. The problem with an outdated browser is that all it takes is some application, which asks to open the homepage for the developer and it for some reason picks the wrong browser and your unsafe browser is online. It's not intended behavior, but it can happen.

3 minutes ago, tymmur said:

The problem with an outdated browser is that all it takes is some application, which asks to open the homepage for the developer and it for some reason picks the wrong browser and your unsafe browser is online. It's not intended behavior, but it can happen.

You will have to excuse me for I might just be me reading this wrong, but I don't really get what you are trying to say. Which developer is doing what and what does "your unsafe browser is online" mean?

4 hours ago, Weiterfechten said:

You will have to excuse me for I might just be me reading this wrong, but I don't really get what you are trying to say. Which developer is doing what and what does "your unsafe browser is online" mean?

If you have firefox installed and is not updating it, then it will have known security exploits and should not be used online. When some software request the browser to open a certain URL, the system should open it in the default browser. I have more than once tried that it ended up not using the default browser and if it picks the outdated firefox, you risk that it will access a hacked page, which uses an unpatched security hole (because it's outdated). Just having an outdated browser installed is a security issue even if you never open it yourself.

How likely it is that some application will ask your computer to open an infected page and bypass the default browser is another question, but the risk is not 0%.

58 minutes ago, tymmur said:

If you have firefox installed and is not updating it, then it will have known security exploits and should not be used online. When some software request the browser to open a certain URL, the system should open it in the default browser. I have more than once tried that it ended up not using the default browser and if it picks the outdated firefox, you risk that it will access a hacked page, which uses an unpatched security hole (because it's outdated). Just having an outdated browser installed is a security issue even if you never open it yourself.

How likely it is that some application will ask your computer to open an infected page and bypass the default browser is another question, but the risk is not 0%.

I guess I will stick to the newly updated Yomichan version on Firefox then. I did not even know it existed before this was brought up and just assumed that everything other than Rikaisama was going to be a pain to set up (partly to blame due to my time spent troubleshooting Chiitrans). Thanks for the info!

Edited by Weiterfechten