Animes that made you cry? ;-;

mitchhamilton

now this isnt the same really as the saddest animes you watched as something very happy can make you cry or overall the anime ends happily with a few sad moments before the happy ending, like clannad. clannad is the anime i no doubt cried the hardest while watching but i think overall, its a happy anime. dont know why but ive been re-watching clips of sad anime scenes such as air, anohana, and clannad and its just made me curious what got you the most. of course if theres gonna be spoilers make sure to use the spoiler tag. good? good.

clannad.

Wiki-background-1021x580.jpg

in the first season theres quite a lot to cry at and believe me, i did but the hardest i cried was in the second season when

Spoiler

nagisa was giving birth and she passed away. i honestly didnt see this death coming and didnt know anything about clannad going in. i just knew it was a love story and since i was feeling in the mood at the time, i checked it out. i believe i watched most of the series, if not all the series in one day. i honestly didnt think i could cry so hard at a characters death and dont think i ever had.

anohana: we still dont know the flower we saw that day.

75d87960c388efc544be093603b8e9f014066698

this anime starts off strong with our group of characters continuing their lives after the death of their best friend at a young age. they all go their separate ways through life and have a hard time dealing with it as they grow older but she comes back in the form of the ghost and now the past they tried to forget is taking them back.

Spoiler

of course this scene was gonna happen and i thought i was prepared for it but still beat me with a bat in the feels. of course im talking about the last episode when menma has to say goodbye to everyone. she thought she was ready to say her goodbyes but the group pull her back for a proper goodbye face to face. her life at an end she wishes dearly that she become reincarnated so they can spend more time together. whether this happens or not, we dont know but it is a wish that we hope comes true for her as she says "You found me."

Air 

Air.jpg

another one from key, those bastards, adapted to an anime. one of their earliest, if not, earliest ones. i dont know if i watched this first or clannad but either way, didnt reach levels of clannad but still took my on a feel trip nonetheless. btw, rip Tomoko Kawakami, the actress for misuzu.

Spoiler

i dont really remember if anything before the final ep made me cry. probably did and i just dont remember it but i do remember the ending well. this ending still bugs me to this day just because it wouldve been a great ending. the aunt finally accepted her role as being misuzus mother and they were going to start over and be happy together. but then misuzu dies as its her time. this death is sad from a objective view point and makes me think that i saw this after clannad because i think if i saw this before, this wouldve been the hardest i cried while watching an anime. the set up is just so objectively sad that i cant believe i didnt cry harder. Haruko trying hard to start over, misuzu calling out to her as mommy on the beach as shes being taken away, and them just finally going to be mother and daughter as haruko wasnt worriny about her being taken away by her real parents anymore. :komari:

if the team wanted to make their audience cry hard, i can only think of one word. "Goal."

i can think of more but ill save em for later since i dont wanna fill my first post with many more posters that take up most of your screen. :rimu: alright, your turn. share away, you big babies.

Edited by mitchhamilton

Kami Nomi: Godessess (the third season)

For the first two seasons The World Only God Knows seems like a very chill, mostly comedic anime spoofing romance anime tropes etc., but the third season basically turns everything upside-down, with a life-or-death situation as the main axis of the story and quite a lot of tension. There's also that one scene...

Spoiler

on the school roof, where Keima has to reject Chihiro, the only girl that genuinely loved him and does it in a most gut-wrenching, devastating manner (being partially justified in doing so, as he basically had to go after another girl to stop the world from ending and save another person's life - also, while his mission still wasn't complete, he couldn't afford any kind of attachment without hurting that person even further).

That scene made me cry and after that, made me feel sick for two days straight. I know I wasn't the only one, as I've seen people writing very similar things on Crunchyroll and in other places... While I think quite a few anime series made me emotional - Elfen Lied a long time ago, lately things like Konohana Kitan or Ancient Magus' Bride - and some of them maybe even got a few tears out of me, that's the only case I can remember when I cried for like 10 minutes non-stop and felt genuinely devastated.

On VNs, Kara no shoujo did:

Spoiler

Tsuzuriko's death was way no undiserved, and the cruelty by which it was delivered made it even worse.

Regarding animes, this far only one piece has:

Spoiler

The chapter when the going merry sinks. 

And an anime that put me emotional several times is Fairy Tail:

Spoiler

Makarov's sacrifice at the final battle againg Alvares' army , and the moment when Lucy has to break Aquarious' key in order to call the celestial spirit king.

Until 1998, I was mostly an action and fantasy anime fan, ignoring slice of life entirely... then I came across Ai Yori Aoshi, and for the first time, I found myself weeping for the characters.

I was addicted to the anime based off of Key games for the longest time, and I can still make myself cry by remembering 'I can make this the goal, can't I?' from Misuzu in the Air anime... 

Oh, forgot an amazing anime that made me very emotial as well, fullmetal alchemist:

Spoiler

Both nina and maes Huge's death were terribly sad to me, i normally don't care (and even enjoy) about characters dying, but in some cases, such as those, it goes beyond me. 

finally, someone made a thread that interest me...
i agree with anohana, and since i'm picky about graphics quality, i never watch anime before 2008, so i never watch clannad and air so idk

i read TWGOK manga, but is the anime good?

anyway, for me it should be Plastic Memories

Spoiler

There's no screaming at the end for Plastic Memories. Only a girl who gets to spend her last moments with the boy she loves, knowing that everything's alright in the world, and perhaps hoping that someday they might be reunited. 

Anohana feels more forced than Key, but

at least the girl dies for good.

Evangelion was a pretty depressing thing to behold overall if you were an adolescent back in the late 90s. Not like... sad, more like... "doom is upon us" or something. Didn't make me cry but did unsettle me. To make things worse, the series is a crescendo in destruction, agony and despair. Damn those Aum Shinrikyo fuckers.

Shortly after Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop hit, and though its themes vary a lot, the corpus of the story is sad (noir genre) and ends on a bitter note.

Those were stories full of quality and impact, but they were really sad, less gentle than, say, Escaflowne. Escaflowne is amazing too.

The only 2000s series that plays on the major leagues for me after those is Fullmetal Alchemist.

The chimera chapter did disturb some friends, and I came warned so it wasn't as impactful for me, but without it, we all would have probably kept the show under the radar.

But if you really want to know sad, do watch Steins;Gate 0. Steins;Gate is another anime from the "major league", and there are a lot of people of the same opinion.

There are alot.....

- Toradora! --> Best romance and drama Anime 😍

- Koe no Katachi --> Seriously, it's the best Anime movie I watched. There is also a really good AMV:

Spoiler

I am going to cry again!!! I love this song!

- Little Busters! Refain

- Nagi no Asukara

- Angel Beats! 

- Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

- Assassination Classroom Season 2... Koro-sensei :(

- Code Geass --> Man... That ending >.<

- Shakugan no Shana III 

- White Album 2 --> So much Drama.... And I hate this cliffhanger at the end of the Anime. Please, someone have to localize the VN and bring it to the west.

Edited by -soraa

Anime that made me cry the hardest (in one big burst towards the end): Angel's Egg

Anime that made me cry the most overall (basically through the majority of it): Haibane Renmei...really beautiful and bittersweet, and really hit some raw emotions.

The Ancient Magus' Bridge also seems to be a strong contender, considering I cried at 3 out of 6 or 7 episodes so far. :makina:

On 4/18/2018 at 4:18 PM, Clephas said:

Until 1998, I was mostly an action and fantasy anime fan, ignoring slice of life entirely... then I came across Ai Yori Aoshi, and for the first time, I found myself weeping for the characters.

I was addicted to the anime based off of Key games for the longest time, and I can still make myself cry by remembering 'I can make this the goal, can't I?' from Misuzu in the Air anime... 

ai yori aoshi? huh. ive seen it before but i dont remember it really making me cry. hmm, may have to see it again since i dont really remember anything from it.

"Goal." :komari: 

On 24/4/2018 at 8:29 PM, 1P1A said:

Yeah, it's quite the bitter pill.

That it is, but more than that... how could I put it... the whole purpose of the movie is to show two kids suffering to death. And you know that it ends like that since the beginning. There's no message to speak of (and no, I'm not counting the "wars are bad" thing, we all know that, come on...), it's not by any means an emotional movie, just a depressing one. It didn't even make me cry, and I'm a crybaby when it comes to fiction. It did make me feel sick to my stomach though. So yeah, that's why I find it despicable.

On topic, animes that made me cry... almost all of them? :yumiko: I cry easily, but oddly enough I don't tend to cry to the scenes most people do, so there's that...

And as for the ones that made me cry a lot, well, there's almost every key anime adaptation ever, sure, Clannad, LB, Air, Kanon, Planetarian... Plastic Memories that @Huang Ling Yin mentioned also hit me hard, even though you knew it was gonna happen, and I feel like it's an anime that it's often unfairly criticized too hardly. I thought it was overall good, and really great when it had to shine.

And, for the sake of citing a so far unmentioned one, let's go with Rainbow. It didn't made me cry so hard as the others, but it was probably a lot more depressing overall. Hey, but in contrast with Hotaru no haka, you can find meaning in it.

31 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

That it is, but more than that... how could I put it... the whole purpose of the movie is to show two kids suffering to death. And you know that it ends like that since the beginning. There's no message to speak of (and no, I'm not counting the "wars are bad" thing, we all know that, come on...), it's not by any means an emotional movie, just a depressing one. It didn't even make me cry, and I'm a crybaby when it comes to fiction. It did make me feel sick to my stomach though. So yeah, that's why I find it despicable.

Fair enough, I'm not disagreeing with you; however, it did make me cry :(

Might as well do a dump while I'm here

Boku dake ga Inai Machi

Colorful (depressing)

Kimi no Na wa

Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki // Wolf Children

7 minutes ago, 1P1A said:

Fair enough, I'm not disagreeing with you; however, it did make me cry :(

Might as well do a dump while I'm here

Boku dake ga Inai Machi

Colorful (depressing)

Kimi no Na wa

Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki // Wolf Children

your name and wolf children. :kosame: 

i have your name on blu ray. havent watched it yet. i mean, ive seen your name but just now on blu ray.