UnlimitedMoeWorks

A little bit of history about myself, and why I joined Fuwanovel.

Ok, so in this thread, I'll be going over a little history about myself, and explaining the events that have eventually lead me to join Fuwanovel. Keep in mind that I'm not going to go through every single bit of my online history, because that would take too long. So instead, I'll be explaining recent events that have occurred to me.

I recommend getting a snack and a drink, because this is going to take a while.

Chapter 1: Intox Gaming

Whenever I think of a community that has made me feel more at home than any other community beforehand, none remind me more than a community that went by the name "Intox Gaming". Intox was a Team Fortress 2 server-hosting community that hosted a lot of custom TF2 game modes that weren't official, like Zombie Mod, vs Saxton Hale, and most importantly, Deathrun. This game mode right here was (and is still) my absolute favorite game mode I have ever played.

Deathrun is a game mode where one team consist of the "runners", and they have to run through an obstacle course. While the other team only consists of one player commonly referred to as "the death", and their job is to activate traps to try and kill all of the runners. The runner team wins if they managed to get to the finish without dying, and the death wins if they manage to kill all of the runners.

I first discovered Deathrun when I was just browsing through some random TF2 videos on YouTube. While browsing, I stumbled across an unusual video showcasing a game mode I was not familiar with, and was so intrigued about it that I wanted to try it out myself. So I booted up TF2, and I typed in "deathrun" in the server browser. Intox's Deathrun server was the first search result, so I naturally clicked on it. I fell in love with Deathrun so much that eventually, I would start to get to know the community that hosted it.

Despite having "Intox" in the name, Intox Gaming was actually one of the nicest and most friendliest communities I've come across. They made me feel at home, and as a result, I would end up staying, eventually becoming an official member as a result. I made some friends too, and the two best friends I had in the community were EternalGreen and Jamele59, whom were also fellow anime fans.

Intox Gaming was always brimming with activity in 2015, and there were no shortage of players coming on at any given time. I was so active on their Deathrun server that eventually, I climbed up their score board to reach the #1 rank, becoming the top-ranked Deathrun player. Here's proof.

bandicam_2017_11_14_10_03_00_485_by_konp

I was having a lot of fun in Intox Gaming. However, this fun wouldn't last very long.

Starting in 2016, immediate changes were starting to happen. The main admin of Intox named Bijuu suddenly left the community without saying a reason why, and the other admins had to fill in the gap. Prominent donators started to disappear too, which lead to a decrease in player numbers. At first, I didn't think it was going to affect the community much, but then things started to get worse as summer approached. In May 2016, Overwatch was released, and 80% of the community jumped ship towards that game. The amount of players left was staggeringly low, the lowest the community has ever had by that point. I also heard that Intox was also facing some financial troubles to stay afloat, and with most of the donators gone, things were looking really grim. I was starting to fear that I may lose a home online that I had so much fun with.

Then, in July 2016, it finally happened. Intox Gaming had collapsed entirely, and all of its servers have become dead. I was so distraught about this sudden collapse that for the first time ever, I felt marooned with nowhere to go. Since I suck at FPS games in general and didn't want to go back to the main game modes, I instead wandered around on various trading servers, and kept on searching other deathrun communities hoping to find the next Intox Gaming. Which leads me to the next chapter.

Chapter 2: RetroServers

After months of searching, I've stumbled onto a TF2 server-hosting community named "RetroServers". They hosted a Deathrun server that was very similar to Intox's Deathrun server, so I felt right at home when I joined. Or, so I thought. However, from the very start, I learned that the RetroServers community is nothing like Intox Gaming. That part is obvious, but to say the community is VERY toxic would be an understatement. Trolls were everywhere, and people were constantly breaking server rules all the time. Players would bully other players just for the lolz, and there have been numerous instances of vote abuses just to silence players for no justifiable reasons.

For the first couple of months of joining, I had to deal with a very abusive mod named D3rpy Puncak3s, who would outright abuse his mod powers to cheat and intentionally screw over players. Many complaints were filed against him, but for some reason, most of the community actually defended him, even the admins. They said that D3rpy was doing a good job as a mod, and was "the most fun mod of all time ever". It was there that I've realized that this community is fucked up from the start.

However, this changed in March 2017. With a staff change taking place, and newer and more responsible admins taking over the old ones, D3rpy Puncak3s was finally ousted from moderator. I was so relieved that this finally happened, because now I could start playing on the Deathrun server without worrying about being slayed for no reason.

My relations with RetroServers had improved somewhat, although most of the community is still toxic. I eventually made a couple of friends in the community who are actually nice people, like map developer Bun Bun, and would-be moderator Sticks. I even made friends with someone named Dr. Solar, who was a beginner map developer for the community who seemed nice. But, if you're wondering why I bolded his name, well here's why.

During the summer, there was a user named Ultragon, whom was a beginner map developer. He released some of his maps on RetroServers, but they were obviously unfinished and needed more improvement. I had to give him some criticism on his maps, and they were entirely constructive. I gave him tips on what needs to be improved and so-on, since at the time, I myself was also starting on making maps, and had a far better understanding on how to make them. Despite my best efforts to try and help him, shortly after I posted my criticism, he deleted his account. He then struck me as the type who can't take criticism at all, so I let the whole thing go. A few weeks after, Dr. Solar showed up, who had the same level of map-making quality as Ultragon. Why?

Turns out that Dr. Solar IS Ultragon, but I didn't find out about it until it was too late.

In December 2017, Dr. Solar went on a ballistic rampage, and insulted and attacked my friend Bun Bun because he was jealous about his map-making skills. He then backstabbed me by stealing the very map I was working on, and it was at this point that I found out he was just a scummy asshole masquerading as a friend. I never felt so insulted in my life, and this for me was the final nail in the coffin for RetroServers. I decided to fully distance myself away from them entirely.

After that whole debacle, there was only one more place I had to go.

Chapter 3: Fuwanovel

You may be wondering why a couple a TF2 communities is somehow connected to me joining Fuwanovel, a VN community. Well that's because I joined Fuwanovel back in fall 2016 after Intox Gaming had collapsed, and at the time, I was unsure of RetroServers because of their toxic nature. I basically joined Fuwanovel as a back-up, just in case something happened to RetroServers and I had nowhere else to go. I have never read any VNs beforehand other than a pirated copy of Grisaia that contained Imouto Work's 18+ patch (which Sekai Project cracked down on), and my interest in VNs in general was very low. So I wasn't really expecting to connect with a lot of users on here. Though I do remember interacting with @Dergonu a couple of times because of my interest in writing light novels. I've already explained why I made the @EastCoastDrifter alt (then name Konpeki Umi) in another thread, but after that whole Dr. Solar debacle in RetroServers, and still feeling a bit down about returning to my main account because of a mistake I've made regarding Libra of the Vampire Princess, I returned to EastCoastDrifter instead to start over fresh. It was at this point that my interest in VNs started to bloom, and deep down, I really wanted to read more VNs. It's a shame that right now, I do not have access to sites like mangagamer, but I'm hoping to buy VNs from them one day.

But at the very least, I got to know this community, and met a lot of great people on here, like @Dergonu, @Zenophilious, @Kaguya, @mitchhamilton, @MaggieROBOT, @Ranzo, @PapaRabbi, @SeniorBlitz, @Thatcomicguy, @Zakamutt, @Plk_Lesiak, @Kiriririri, and many others. Needless to say, I think I'll be on here for a while, and once I start actually reading VNs, I hope to one day be more a part of the Fuwa community.

All in all, from the ashes of Intox Gaming and the flames of RetroServers, came the yellow-brick road I've discovered to Fuwa. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Ah, this reminds me of my own virtual stories, although every time I dropped from some community it was because of my own lack of discipline/lazyness and unreliability. And my video game addiction (all those are strongly connected). Fuwa is the first place online that actualy gave me a feeling of belonging and where I found a way to contribute in meaningful ways - hope we'll both be able to enjoy it for a long time. :)

...so, now I have to make sure you read Katawa Shoujo and join the OELVN Sumpremacy Movement. :meguface:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

11 minutes ago, HMN said:

I don’t know if you’re aware of this or not, but that guy is literally a part of the local troll group of Fuwanovel, so you might want to reconsider your relationship with him.

He also claimed being friends with Mitch and Kiri, it's not like he has high standards in the first place...

Not that I myself or most people around here have those (<3 you all, no homo, probably). :mare:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

37 minutes ago, HMN said:

I don’t know if you’re aware of this or not, but that guy is literally a part of the local troll group of Fuwanovel, so you might want to reconsider your relationship with him.

Zaka may be a troll, but he's a respectable one, and actually helped me out with my social anxiety a few times. He's a lot different from the trolls I've encountered in RetroServers. And besides, Fuwa is known for its top-quality shitposts, so I can't complain anyway.

33 minutes ago, Kiriririri said:

Not sure where the great part is in me

The answer is simple: @Fiddle. :makina:

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

...so, now I have to make sure you read Katawa Shoujo and join the OELVN Sumpremacy Movement. :meguface:

17 minutes ago, Ranzo said:

Just play Katawa Shoujo already

Ok. I'll gladly take Katawa Shoujo over Doki Doki Literature Club any day. :sachi:

Another story of online communities not being nice to people. It hurts when what you thought was a good one end up being bad or turning bad. I tried that a few times. Possibly the most extreme I have seen was... well to put it in TF2 perspective, imagine if somebody uploads a map, which is work in progress and ask for feedback. People will then reply saying it's good and a few have ideas for modifications, which could work better. Next thing you know a mod tries the map, likes it and then deletes all the replies indicating something could be improved and ban the people writing that, completely ignoring anything else, like including regulars with no bad history and who made contents themselves and stuff like that. If I like it, then it's perfect and nobody is allowed to think otherwise. I have been banned twice for something like that. Once gained mod permission, one psychopathic mod can destroy an entirely community if not stopped. It hurts when hit with something like that because you usually will not notice until you are in too deep to just leave without caring about it anymore.

The worst I have encountered was when I contributed to an open source project. I was asked to join, which I did and advanced to be near the top. Eventually the founder decided to move on and somebody else became the leader, though I have no idea how. He really jumped ranks. At first it didn't change much, but eventually my name started to miss out on the credit list and information was withheld from me in order to make my code work worse with the rest. One day I suddenly got flamed for leaving buggy code behind without even attempting to fix it. It turns out that it worked when I considered it good and moved on to the next task, but later the person who flamed me broke it without telling me. Next I was assigned to a bug, which nobody knew how to fix and apparently I was not allowed to do anything before the bug was fixed. It's around here that I just couldn't bring myself to log in anymore and just never came back. Nobody even tried to contact me or anything. It bugged me a great deal because I put a lot of work into it and it was my first real project online with multiple contributors.

I later checked what happened and the last bug had been declared unfixable, the entire code using it had been scrapped and the feature in question had been implemented using a different library. This was precisely the solution I proposed, but it was rejected because "you just have to fix what we have rather than talking about new stuff". The leader who gave me that treatment is still leader. He has managed to get everybody who joined before him to leave, making him the supreme member, both as leader and as the one who has been active the longest. I kind of suspect that was the reason for how people behaved towards me. I still feel like my work was forcefully taken away from me, but there is nothing I can do about it.

The internet is full of people who wants to mistreat other people. As a result, quite a number of people end up with a history of some degree of online abuse. I usually never mention it and assume there are others here with a history, which is normally not mentioned. It's my impression that Fuwa is working well. The mods are active and I have yet to see them make a decision I disagree with. Since it's apparently not possible to harass people here, those who have such intensions seems to have gone elsewhere, which makes Fuwa a nice place. Had I known, then I would have become active earlier.

EDIT: and while I wrote that, trolls appeared. How ironic and actually quite unusual. I don't consider trolling a serious issue, but maybe that's because troll posts tend to be short lived.

Now I ended up writing a lot about myself and very little about you. However it still serves the purpose of telling you that you aren't alone.

Edited by tymmur

1 hour ago, mitchhamilton said:

alright, alright, you guys are getting a tad off topic here. :wafuu: 

I agree, but at the same time, I think the Members' Lounge is probably the most fitting place for it. If we can't fool around and have some fun in here, where can we? Unless OP has a problem with it, of course, because it is their thread after all.

Looking forward to you breathing new life into the Fuwa community, UMW. This place could use a fair bit of fresh activity!

17 minutes ago, Zander said:

I agree, but at the same time, I think the Members' Lounge is probably the most fitting place for it. If we can't fool around and have some fun in here, where can we? Unless OP has a problem with it, of course, because it is their thread after all.

Looking forward to you breathing new life into the Fuwa community, UMW. This place could use a fair bit of fresh activity!

well sure but i just dont want the original ops topic to get overshadowed by other members talking about std's or something. umw is trying to recover his own way and we should support that. i think any topic shouldnt have responses that really deviate from the main point, ill say that and leave it at that. 

12 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

well sure but i just dont want the original ops topic to get overshadowed by other members talking about std's or something. umw is trying to recover his own way and we should support that. i think any topic shouldnt have responses that really deviate from the main point, ill say that and leave it at that. 

I think this is, above anything else, a thread about appreciating the Fuwa community. I don't see anything wrong with its members appreciating each other in here. Even if it creates a possibility of catching an STD. After all, love is never without its risks. :sachi:

8 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

well sure but i just dont want the original ops topic to get overshadowed by other members talking about std's or something.

I agree. It's fine to have fun, but it should not be instead of the thread topic. In this case it is. @UnlimitedMoeWorks clearly put an effort into writing OP. I put an effort into replying on topic. I'm fine with having fun and it's not like I never participate in fun posts. The problem here is because some people want to have fun posting, it prevents other people from having a serious thread about what is actually a rather serious issue.

6 hours ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

It's a shame that right now, I do not have access to sites like mangagamer, but I'm hoping to buy VNs from them one day.

Just curious; how come? Don't tell me they are a geo-restricted site? O.o.....

Edited by phantomJS

7 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Having reading VNs or not you're already one of us, one of us!!!

Saying you're a weeb like us is not an insult I swear!!!

Yup mugz is right! It is Nice to have your Company and you already brought Nice things to our community like the fuwa solar system! Keep being awesome. :mare:

1 minute ago, phantomJS said:

I think they are blocking Japanese IPs for license issues, but nothing really other than that. However I read that line as "I do not have an internationally accepted credit card". I used to have problems with that. My bank had come up with the idea to deny any transfers to shops in other countries unless I would pay $50 a year extra. Eventually I located a bank without this fee and the problem is history. There is no way I would pay that kind of money for nothing.

I used to have problems with the payment processor of Mangagamer as well, but I just asked to buy MG points through paypal and used the MG points to buy what I wanted. Last time I tried however everything worked with their current payment processor so I didn't have to use paypal.

Edited by bakauchuujin

8 hours ago, Zander said:

Unless OP has a problem with it, of course, because it is their thread after all.

Eh, I don't have a problem with it. Anyone can share their own experiences to relate.

6 hours ago, phantomJS said:

The reason I don't have access to mangagamer has more to do with my financial barriers. Right now, I lack a credit card and a paypal account, and I'm still struggling to find employment where I live. Until I finally get a job and access to either of these payment methods, I won't be buying VNs from the site anytime soon.

6 hours ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Yup mugz is right! It is Nice to have your Company and you already brought Nice things to our community like the fuwa solar system! Keep being awesome. :mare:

The Fuwa Solar System was sort of a freak experiment of mine, but glad to know it has been well-received. :sachi:

3 hours ago, solidbatman said:

didnt tag me. i see how it is

I'm sorry, who are you again? :leecher: I don't think I recall seeing you around here often.

But, if you want a tag, I guess it won't hurt to give you one. Here, my treat @solidbatman.