Zelda gets away with it so why not assassins creed?

mitchhamilton

i was thinking about this one day and zelda and assassins creed are a lot alike. very little gameplay changes from game to game, theyre both released periodically. yet zelda almost each time is released gets highly praised while people say theyre tired of assassins creed game after game. why is that?

and if you just hate zelda simply because its nintendo and never actually played a zelda game then you really dont add anything to the discussion so please dont bother. sorry if nintendo still making video game consoles first offends you.

i think its the level of interaction and reward you get from the game. in assassins creed you usually get a number of rewards out of cutscene and and its just a boring sound effect with no response from your character. in zelda on the other hand, you get a  satisfying little jingle followed by link holding it up in glee. despite one being mute, he has more personality and enjoyment than the talking protagonist. with assasins creed, especially with those flags you gotta collect, he just walks through them with no response at all. its the game saying you got a reward and not the character. plus zelda is usually bright and colorful.

idk, thats my two cents. you get more feedback from the muted character than the one seeking revenge.

^This.

Also, it's a matter of art style too, imho (well talking only from GC era, putting aside NES/GB//GBC releases, or even SNES one unless you are into pixel graphic). Each zelda game has its own art style which is never reused and is charming on its own. Last but not least, the lore is always consistent, instead of the mind distortion AC franchise turned into.

No microtransactions , loot boxes or dlc bs either (aside botw, at least though the price was fair and with a good chunk of content).

My only complaint towards nintendo is extreme censorship in the west (which put me a grudge against nintendo as a whole) and well, exclusives (which to me are still cancer from a gamer pow).

What I'm truly amazed though is how nintendo was able to slip through with botw inconsistent frame rate: on porrtable mode and during rain, the game runs at something like 15 fps on switch, but I'm derailing the thread with this one.

3 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

i was thinking about this one day and zelda and assassins creed are a lot alike. very little gameplay changes from game to game, theyre both released periodically. yet zelda almost each time is released gets highly praised while people say theyre tired of assassins creed game after game. why is that?

and if you just hate zelda simply because its nintendo and never actually played a zelda game then you really dont add anything to the discussion so please dont bother. sorry if nintendo still making video game consoles first offends you.

i think its the level of interaction and reward you get from the game. in assassins creed you usually get a number of rewards out of cutscene and and its just a boring sound effect with no response from your character. in zelda on the other hand, you get a  satisfying little jingle followed by link holding it up in glee. despite one being mute, he has more personality and enjoyment than the talking protagonist. with assasins creed, especially with those flags you gotta collect, he just walks through them with no response at all. its the game saying you got a reward and not the character. plus zelda is usually bright and colorful.

idk, thats my two cents. you get more feedback from the muted character than the one seeking revenge.

Because it is Zelda, and Zelda is on a pedestal, whereas Assassins Creed is wallowing in the mud of Ubi Soft.

To me Ninty's always been about them brands, who have Toy Story 3 / Incredibles 2 / Finding Dory level nostalgia powers over most millenials who grew up knowing these iconic plumbers and Heroes of X(time/wind/skyward) and so that's why they can get away with it

I actually never played any assassin's creed games but yeah I played all non-handheld Zeldas and always liked them so idk

1 hour ago, Clephas said:

Because it is Zelda, and Zelda is on a pedestal

There are reasons for that.

Zelda games are consistently great game-play wise. Every entry has a different central gameplay theme and/or setting (Wind Waker = Sailing on sea, Majora's Mask = Usage of masks grants different transformation on a Groundhog's Day story setting. Minish Cap = Ability to dwarf Link, A link to the past = 1 dark and 1 light world). The dungeons differs from game to game and were expertly-designed. Music and graphics are pretty good as well. All of the above combined = great gameplay experience.

For The AC games, the characters are not memorable. and all of them feels recycled from one another besides the story setting. The latter entries have a lot of deja vu missions, and also playing-time padding boring ones. The graphics looks similar to me in all of the games despite each of the games were set in different places. Lastly, the controls in AC games feels quite wonky to me, have a ton of bugs , and microtransations to boot! (ok, last couple of points may not be entirely fair to Ubisoft when compared to Zela. I dun care~~)

Please don't compare the 2 series, Mitch. Quality difference between the 2 series = day and night :P

I don't think you are being fair here. First of all, both series are completely different in any aspect (except for BOTW). To compare them is the same to putting Fifa and Just Dance in the mix. Then, the main Zelda games are released in ~3 years between each other, while side games and portable ones are released more frequently (one per year). Saying that there is little change to Zelda's gameplay is very unfair, since every time a new main game is released it has a lot of different features that never appeared before - masks, motion controls in SS, and let's not talk about BOTW, as enough is being said since its release. I mean, there are many other factors to be considered here. Story, other gameplay features, art style, new characters, different puzzles, etc.

It's not like AC is bad, but recently Ubisoft started to release them with almost no time in between, with very few significant changes. Because of that, they had serious bugs, glitches, etc that could be easily fixed with the right quality control. So each new game feels like the same with new story, many bugs and, well, Ubisoft.

edit: many portable/side games are not developed by Zelda's main team, so they don't really affect the main series, nor the gameplay, quality and development of them. And pretty much every main game has been delayed for many reasons, most of them related to quality control and new features.

Edited by Silvz