Another Sekai Project Discussion

VirginSmasher

1 minute ago, phantomJS said:

Well, compared to other similar companies, I believe their work can be considered pretty good overall.

So who do u consider for the TL if not SP?

If we could choose any company (ignoring all localisation deals and such, just wishful thinking), I think Mangagamer is way better. JAST have good translations and provides 18+ versions, the problem is their slower release schedule.

4 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Zeno's article was an interesting read... and I'm glad I never funded anything.

Just to clarify, I didn't actually write the article, I just stumbled upon it and shared the link.  I doubt you meant that the article was mine, but I just thought I'd make sure.

I'm pretty much done with Sekai at this point.  All of their early controversies and bad PR (hi, dovac) really made me distrust them as a company for years.  After seeing improvements in regards to 18+ releases and transparency, I decided that I should toss some money their way to reward their progress.  Buying Meikyuu didn't come back to bite me, but backing Hoshimemo sure as hell did.  If they couldn't even give Hoshimemo, a relatively high-profile title with an established audience, a decent release, it's indicative of some pretty serious problems somewhere down the line.  I wouldn't recommend buying anything they touch that doesn't have a well-known name (like Conjueror or koestl) attached, and even that's not a guarantee, since they've shown that their editing and QC process can range from good to completely horrid.  At the very least, don't back any Kickstarters that have Sekai's name on them, since it's almost a guarantee that they'll have issues and a horribly delayed delivery window for rewards.  Grisaia physicals when Muramasa TL hits, boys.

Might as well bring the Root Double Vita debacle back up, while we're at it.  I still can barely believe that even happened.  The incompetence that was required to arrive at that situation is just absurd.

4 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

If we could choose any company (ignoring all localisation deals and such, just wishful thinking), I think Mangagamer is way better. JAST have good translations and provides 18+ versions, the problem is their slower release schedule.

>Slower release schedule

That's an understatement.

Sekai Project are incredibly slow too, I would be amazed if some of their unreleased stuff won't take 5+ years to come out (from announcment). Just look at how huge their list of TBA's is and how infrequently they release anything that people actually care about.

23 minutes ago, Being said:

Sekai Project are incredibly slow too, I would be amazed if some of their unreleased stuff won't take 5+ years to come out (from announcment). Just look at how huge their list of TBA's is and how infrequently they release anything that people actually care about.

They're incredibly slow because of the way they run their company. They license way too many things, don't have project management so everything takes especially long, and they usually end up releasing maybe 2 or 3 important VNs a year as a result. I like Mangagamer because they always have 1 or 2 VNs coming out every month, which no other company is doing or has done yet. SP takes the JAST approach of releasing things on an incredibly inconsistent basis, which is definitely annoying when you want to see certain VNs released and you have no clue when they'll be out.

58 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

bad PR (hi, dovac)

I loved Dovac's earlier transparency. You rarely get a CEO who will tell the community how little fucks he gives. It's a shame they deleted his twitter since the place was a goldmine :P

11 minutes ago, 1P1A said:

I loved Dovac's earlier transparency. You rarely get a CEO who will tell the community how little fucks he gives. It's a shame they deleted his twitter since the place was a goldmine :P

Well at least some response is better than nothing, which seems to be how they currently handle things :)

Edited by bakauchuujin

21 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

Well at least some response is better than nothing, which seems to be how they currently handle things :)

They are just a bunch of kids playing business. There's casual, and then there's this:

(from their AMA)

539fa5e28603303ca9433448039fe602.png

Just now, 1P1A said:

They are just a bunch of kids playing business. There's casual, and then there's this:

(from their AMA)

Yes and that is better than no response because it makes it easier to see how incompetent they are so less people back their kickstarters. I meant better for us who just want them gone and replaced by a better company not better for them :)

1 hour ago, VirginSmasher said:

They're incredibly slow because of the way they run their company. They license way too many things, don't have project management so everything takes especially long, and they usually end up releasing maybe 2 or 3 important VNs a year as a result. I like Mangagamer because they always have 1 or 2 VNs coming out every month, which no other company is doing or has done yet. SP takes the JAST approach of releasing things on an incredibly inconsistent basis, which is definitely annoying when you want to see certain VNs released and you have no clue when they'll be out.

1. SP and MG both have around same size titles in TBA (assuming you don't count EVNs that SP doesn't have too much to do it other than just publishing)
2. SP is the one that has monthly releases not MG

lol

Titles released by MG so far in 2018

Spoiler

Sorcery Jokers score 7.96 length 30-50 hours: Developer 3rdEye

Kyonyuu Fantasy Gaiden score 7.68 length 10-30 hours: Developer Waffle

A Kiss for the Petals Maidens of Michael score 7.63 length 10-30 hours: Developer Yurin Yurin

Supipara part 2 score 7.22 length 10-30 hours: Developer minori 

The Spirit Master of Retarnia score 5.57 length 10-30 hours: Developer Luna Soft

His Chuunibyou Can't Be Cured! score 7.70 (only 4 votes) length 10-30 hours: Developer Tamaya Kagiya

Titles released by SP so far in 2018

Spoiler

Re;Lord 1 The witch of Hertfort and stuffed animals score 7.12 length 2-10 hours: Developer Escu:de

Tropical Liquor score 4.89 length 2-10 hours: Developer Tentacle Games

Fatal Twelve score 8.04 length 10-30 hours: Developer aiueo Kompany

Mhakna Gramura and Fairy Bell score 8.00 length < 2 hours: Developer Alice in Dissonance

Will: A Wonderful World score 7.87 length unknown: Developer 4D Door Games

Girls in Glasses score 6.40 (only 5 votes) length unknown: Developer nostalgia

The Bell Chimes For Gold score 6.10 (only 4 votes) length unknown: Developer Otusun Club

Creature Romances score 4.00 length < 2 hours: Developer nostalgia

Titles released by MG in 2017

Spoiler

Umineko When They Cry Answer Arcs score 8.74 length 50+ hours: Developer 07th Expansion

Da Capo 3 R score 7.69 length 50+ hours: Developer Circus

Princess Evangile W Happiness score 7.42 length 10-30 hours: Developer Moonstone

Dal Segno score 7.19 length 30-50 hours: Developer Circus

Imouto Paradise 2 score 7.09 length 10-30 hours: Developer Moonstone/Moonstone Cherry 

The Shadows of Pygmalion score 7.45 length 10-30 hours: Developer Propeller 

Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome score 6.89 length 10-30 hours: Developer Kalmia8 

Marina's Cuckolding Report score 6.76 length 2-10 hours: Developer Atelier Sakura 

Sweet Young Bride score 5.57 length 2-10 hours: Developer Ammolite 

Space Live score 5.39 length unknown: Developer Circus

Titles released by SP in 2017

Spoiler

Hoshizora no Memoria Wish upon a Shooting Star score 7.89 length 30-50 hours: Developer Favorite

The Labyrinth of Grisaia 18+ edition score 8.08 length 10-30 hours: Developer Front Wing

The Eden of Grisaia score 8.17 length 10-30 hours: Developer Front Wing

Wagamama High Spec score 7.50 length 30-50 hours: Developer Madosoft

Saku Saku: Love Blooms with the Cherry Blossoms score 7.49 length 30-50 hours: Developer Palette

Chrono Clock score 7.44 length 10-30 hours: Developer Purple Software

Neko Para Vol.3 score 7.35 length 2-10 hours: Developer NEKO WORKs

A Clockwork Ley-Line: The Borderline of Dusk score 7.31 length 10-30 hours: Developer Unison Shift/Unison Shift: Blossom

Neko-nin exHeart score 6.29 length 2-10 hours: Developer Whirlpool

Blackberry Honey score 7.20 length 2-10 hours: Developer Ebi-hime

Ne no Kami part 2 score 7.12 length 2-10 hours: Developer Kuro Irodoru Yomiji

Sweetest Monster score 7.07 length 2-10 hours: Developer Ebi-hime

Karakara 2 score 6.73 length 2-10 hours: Developer calme

Neko-nin exHeart +Plus Nachi score 6.56 length < 2 hours: Developer Whirlpool 

Neko-nin exHeart +Plus Saiha score 6.48 length < 2 hours: Developer Whirlpool

Narcissu Sumire score 7.56 length unknown: Developer Stage-nana

2236 A.D. score 7.55 length 10-30 hours: Developer Chloro

The Falconers: Moonlight score 6.80 length unknown: Developer Bionic Penguin Studios

Void score 6.68 length 2-10 hours: Developer Vifth Floor

Six Days of Snow score 6.61 length 2-10 hours: Developer Ebi-hime

Walkerman act 1 score 6.50 (only 4 votes) length 10-30 hours: Developer ScalemaiL

A Butterfly in the District of Dreams score 6.33 length 10-30 hours: Developer Life a Little 

Companion score 6.11 length 2-10 hours: Developer Narrator

Eternal Hour score 6.03 length 2-10 hours: Developer Seventh Heart Studios

Order of Ataxia score 5.33 (only 3 votes) length 2-10 hours: Developer IDHAS Studios

Selenon Rising score 3.90 (only 5 votes) length unknown: Developer Fastermind Games

I would say MG has had better releases so far this year, but in 2017 SP did release a lot of major titles.

Edited by bakauchuujin

43 minutes ago, 1P1A said:

(from their AMA)

539fa5e28603303ca9433448039fe602.png

They can get away with that sort of thing because some people on r/vns are giant SP apologists and will forgive them for every little thing they do wrong. It's pretty bewildering.

1 minute ago, VirginSmasher said:

They can get away with that sort of thing because some people on r/vns are giant SP apologists and will forgive them for every little thing they do wrong. It's pretty bewildering.

If people find something wrong in that screenshot then they should kys

3 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

At the very least, don't back any Kickstarters that have Sekai's name on them,

Yeah, I'm definitely not backing any of their Kickstarters again. And I wouldn't recommend to unless you are really into lotteries or something.

15 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

There is still a lot of criticism on the quality of their releases as well. Chrono Clock, HoshiMemo, Leyline, etc.

Isn't this still a relatively small portion of their releases? I mean, it's definitely an extremely bad sign that these low quality releases exist at all, but it's definitely better than with some other companies in the market.

16 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Isn't this still a relatively small portion of their releases? I mean, it's definitely an extremely bad sign that these low quality releases exist at all, but it's definitely better than with some other companies in the market.

Those are the ones that came to mind in terms of TL and editing quality. There are quite a few others that I didn't name that had other problems with them.

15 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

It is. I could hardly googled anything criticism on their actual work the entire yesterday's afternoon.

Instead, again, what you will find are tons of articles on their KS project department.

4 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

At the very least, don't back any Kickstarters that have Sekai's name on them

Committing money to an unreleased product is always a gamble--except unlike gambling, any surprises will generally be unpleasant.  The entire premise of crowdfunding is to push the risk of creative development from developers onto end-users.  If risk avoidance is your main priority, then any first-time publisher will be a greater risk than Sekai Project--and really, you shouldn't be in the crowdfunding business at all.  Take that money and invest it--where you'll be compensated for taking risks, rather than penalized.

11 hours ago, littleshogun said:

In case Pulltop really did that, then it won't be matter much because NarKarma itself was all age VN in the first place, and Pulltop blunder was they did cut the H scenes for overseas release.

MoeNovel were too busy catering for all the 12 year old French girls were they not? :wahaha:

Ahem. Thanks for sharing V, it was an interesting read.

I like many others, I have been stung by a SP KS campaign or two, the most horrid of which was for WAS ~Lepidoptera no Sunadokei~ campaign for which they ultimately just gave up with in the end.

I just cannot be bothered to go near anything they're involved with anymore, they're a bunch of cowboys and see you next Tuesdays!

Edited by Trickay
Typos

5 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

1. SP and MG both have around same size titles in TBA (assuming you don't count EVNs that SP doesn't have too much to do it other than just publishing)
2. SP is the one that has monthly releases not MG

lol

What? MG has released a title on the last Friday or Thursday of every month for almost 5 years straight. I think they've missed like four.

5 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

I'm assuming that you're just shitposting, but I actually went and counted each unreleased title Sekai (I'm including Denpasoft and non-JP titles that aren't in English, because they're most likely translating them) and MangaGamer have.

Sekai: 30 titles (not including the secret announcements they added to their tracker)

MangaGamer: 22 titles (I'm not including DLC, and I'm not including the titles they hinted at but didn't announce yet)

I'm not too sure if this list is comprehensive, and I'm too lazy to double-check  : P

1 hour ago, Trickay said:

MoeNovel were too busy catering for all the 12 year old French girls were they not? :wahaha:

Ahem. Thanks for sharing V, it was an interesting read.

I like many others, I have been stung by a SP KS campaign or two, the most horrid of which was for WAS ~Lepidoptera no Sunadokei~ campaign for which they ultimately just gave up with in the end.

I just cannot be bothered to go near anything they're involved with anymore, they're a bunch of cowboys and see you next Tuesdays!

7in the case of WAS, the developer apparently shafted SP pretty bad on a bunch of stuff. SP should have done more vetting, but at the same time, I can't really blame em for that project specifically.