Another Sekai Project Discussion

VirginSmasher

http://otakuspirit.com/2018/04/why-ill-never-support-sekai-project-again/

So @Zenophilious posted this article in the Fuwaserver the other day and it describes a single person's experience with Sekai Project and its Grisaia Kickstarter. I thought it'd be a fun discussion to bring up everybody else's experience with them and what they think of them. Personally, I find them to be unprofessional with some of their releases and they have a plethora of problems that I've already described in a previous thread. Whether you're an SP fan and apologist, or a person who dislikes SP, leave what you think below and most importantly, have fun. :sachi:

At this rate I can make a drinking game of how often we saw Sekai Project discussion, but anyway to be honest I never backed any KS so it didn't matter much to me anyway. That said, I guess it's kind of double edge if we talk about KS because on one hand this is the fastest and easiest way to gather money, and on the other hand the company did have obligation to fulfill their promise to the backers, something that Sekai probably did have a hard time to do if we talk about Grisaia physical edition. If anything, at least Sekai still managed to have frequent release compared to JAST, even though the recent VN releases from Sekai was pretty much just lesser known VNs.

Edited by littleshogun

Thanks for posting this, Virgin-Sama.

I, for one, had no idea there were so much drama behind SP's KS projects

Those who are ignorant of their past like me and are interested, google. You will find many informative and interesting links such as this

What's also interesting: seems like most of their KS projects exceeded expectations fund expectations, something by a LOT (like the grisaia trilogy)

Edited by phantomJS

Sekai Project clearly have no idea on how to run kickstarters, they seem to make promises to get people backing without knowing to any extent how difficult keeping them are and how long it will take. It is really annoying that they have goten so many good licenses and done such a poor job with them. To me SP seems to be the most disorganized of the current VN companies in the west and it is therefore sad that they are the ones who gets the biggest titles.

2 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

Thanks for posting this, Virgin-Sama.

I, for one, had no idea there were so much drama behind SP's KS projects

Those who are ignorant of their past like me and are interested, google. You will find many informative and interesting links such as this

What's also interesting: seems like most of their KS projects exceeded expectations, something by a LOT (like the grisaia trilogy)

Their Kickstarters have been horrific since their first one, even if they exceed their limits in funding.

2 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

Sekai Project clearly have no idea on how to run kickstarters, they seem to make promises to get people backing without knowing to any extent how difficult keeping them are and how long it will take. It is really annoying that they have goten so many good licenses and done such a poor job with them. To me SP seems to be the most disorganized of the current VN companies in the west and it is therefore sad that they are the ones who gets the biggest titles.

That's been clear since the beginning and it's been a consistent thing. Remember HoshiMemo and Leyline? Both Kickstarters, both with poor releases. At least they're fixing them so I can actually read them without feeling like I'm accepting a below average product.

I think Sekai Project receives too much flak. People are quick to jump on an internet criticism bandwagon without knowing the full story behind things.

It's clear that their recent releases are of unusually low quality, but they also have an extensive portfolio of quality successful releases and are making motions to fix the ones that are not-so-quality. My primary concern is that they're very opaque and don't divulge information to people that have paid good money for their product until they're forced to.

17 minutes ago, Zander said:

I think Sekai Project receives too much flak. People are quick to jump on an internet criticism bandwagon without knowing the full story behind things.

It's clear that their recent releases are of unusually low quality, but they also have an extensive portfolio of quality successful releases and are making motions to fix the ones that are not-so-quality. My primary concern is that they're very opaque and don't divulge information to people that have paid good money for their product until they're forced to.

I think most of the critisism of SP is justified, however I do agree that they have also had good releases of good titles. The problem isn't that they are absolutely horrible like someone like Moenovel, it is more so that they seem to have little to no interal structure. It seems like they are outsourcing almost everything, this means that they make a lot of possibilty for mistakes to happen which can lead to both delays and low quality. It is pretty much a gamble and sometimes it goes well and other times it ends really bad. A problem with their kickstarters in particular is that they overpromise and then end up not being able to deliver in a timely manner, this is why it always ends up bad when they are doing kickstarters which is what most people complain about. As for them not informing backers I think it is more so a problem they have in general with communication with the people working for them and the companies they license for. Because of the poor structure of the company it seems like SP themselves often don't know how things are going and thus have a hard time giving information.

Edited by bakauchuujin

24 minutes ago, Zander said:

I believe that they get what they deserve in terms of flak. They've been inconsistent since they first began and they haven't done anything to improve their quality as a company, whether it be with average TL quality, Kickstarter abuse, promises made to fans and KS backers, or having a consistent release schedule along with giving no news on a lot of important licenses. They are full of issues and I do hope they improve, although knowing their track record, that may never happen.

30 minutes ago, Zander said:

Read about them (specifically, their KS project history) since I saw this thread. Most of the criticism isn't on the quality of their releases, but rather on how they handle their KS projects and how they treat their backers like shit.

And if you think otherwise, there's a plethora of their pissed-off backers who disagree with you :sleep:  

Edited by phantomJS

1 minute ago, phantomJS said:

Read about them (specifically, their KS project history) since I saw this thread. Most of the criticism isn't on the quality of their releases, but rather on how they handle their KS projects and how they treat their backers like shit.

And if you think otherwise, there's a plethora of their pissed-off backers who disagree with you :sleep:  

There is still a lot of criticism on the quality of their releases as well. Chrono Clock, HoshiMemo, Leyline, etc.

If they continue just outsourcing everything, which means not being able to have controll of the things themselves they will not improve at all. Given the current trend I think it is much more likely that they will become even worse. As they grow as a company and get more titles and licenses, it will be even harder for them to keep track of it all which likely will lead to continued long delays and a general decline in QA (something we have already seen become a problem lately). They either have to completely change the way they function as a company or there is almost no chance of there being any notable improvement.

Edited by bakauchuujin

9 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

If they continue just outsourcing everything, which means not being able to have controll of the things themselves they will not improve at all. Given the current trend I think it is much more likely that they will become even worse. As they grow as a company and get more titles and licenses, it will be even harder for them to keep track of it all which likely will lead to continued long delays and a general decline in QA (something we have already seen become a problem as of later). They either have to completely change the way they function as a company or there is almost no chance of there being any notable improvement.

Seems like they were too ambitious with their goals and their company structure can't handle it. I can definitely see it getting worse as time goes on honestly, which is a shame as they have Baldr Sky and Nanairo, both VNs which I'm extremely hyped to play.

1 hour ago, VirginSmasher said:

I believe that they get what they deserve in terms of flak

Sending death threaths seems very deserved yes.

58 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

There is still a lot of criticism on the quality of their releases as well. Chrono Clock

Funny thing is that Chrono Clock is mostly fixed but people just play the pirated version that is not patched. :Kappa:

As for death threat, if I remember Dovac got that back at 2016 and I did say it was probably because of the Root Double delay. Anyway, I think we definitely can't send the death threat because basically it's a crime. For the big releases from Sekai itself, it's indeed a shame that the company itself was plagued with the trouble which in turn will caused more delay in the future - Sekai releases rate is still better than JAST though, which honestly easily accomplished by any localization company as long as they able to release five VNs within a year. So if I may ask something, did all of you think that Sekai was like EA games in which apparently EA was infamous for destroying many gaming companies (Or in this case fan translation)?

PS - Rather than hoping both of Nanairo and Baldr, I just hope that we'll be able to get both of Daybreak and Morning Mist on time (Especially the former). Of course if we really got both of Baldr and Nanairo this year, then it'll be a nice bonus.

Edited by littleshogun

1 hour ago, littleshogun said:

As for death threat, if I remember Dovac got that back at 2016 and I did say it was probably because of the Root Double delay. Anyway, I think we definitely can't send the death threat because basically it's a criminal. For the big releases from Sekai itself, it's indeed a shame that the company itself was plagued with the trouble which in turn will caused more delay in the future - Sekai releases rate is still better than JAST though, which honestly easily accomplished by any localization company as long as they able to release five VNs within a year.

Our dear littleshogun, they are kidding. You really expecting it to be carried out? :P

1 hour ago, littleshogun said:

So if I may ask something, did all of you think that Sekai was like EA games in which apparently EA was infamous for destroying many gaming companies (Or in this case fan translation)?

Afaik, EA ate up a lot of game making companies previously but I don't think they attracted too much negative news for it. Recent years are totally different though, as they seemed intent on exploiting their customers instead of focusing on creating great games. In recent times, they are hell bent on monetising their games as much as possible with this being a prime example.

Sekai Project's situation is different. While, as VirginSmasher mentioned, they drew some flak for the quality of their recent releases, as far as I can find out, they are mostly bashed for their appalling handling of their Kickstarter project and backers.

I do wonder how do they keep getting over their KS projects goals lolz...

Edited by phantomJS

3 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

Funny thing is that Chrono Clock is mostly fixed but people just play the pirated version that is not patched. :Kappa:

lets see....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/chronoclock-limited-edition-box-set-and-exclusive/posts/1828698

from this update: march 11 2017

We've been hard at work getting a patch ready for the game. 

Here's the schedule:

1.01 - Landing this upcoming Monday, fixes textual issues reported from Steam/Nutaku/Denpasoft versions.

1.02 - Is expected to come out on the 27th, supplementary patch for 1.01 that will be fixing and tracking down any crash bugs. As well as any other textual issues reported.

1.0x - Sometime in April, final fixes before physical copies get printed.

We don't expect a delay in 1.01 however 1.02 and 1.0x may or may not make those deadlines depending on the complexities in some of the fixes required.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/chronoclock-limited-edition-box-set-and-exclusive/posts/1958488

from this update: aug 9 2017

Hey everyone,

An update for the Denpasoft and Nutaku versions of the game has been released which removes the mosaic censoring. It's a free update, however, you'll need to re-download the game from your platform of choice.

it didnt tell us/me what version is this. also the updates after that is for the physical goods only.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=539660

steam tells us that the latest version of chrono clock is at 1.01e (march 14 2017)

We pushed a new version of the game, fixes textual issues reported from Steam/Nutaku/Denpasoft versions.

To make sure you get the new fixes it is recommended that after you load from a previous save you jump back to the beginning of the day in the backlog.

Nutaku's version is 1.2:

News and Updates

Game Update: Mosaic censorship removed
08/09/2017 03:34AM

The new version of ChronoClock is live on Nutaku.net, now without the mosaic censorship of previous versions!

Game Update: v1.2
03/15/2017 02:20AM

ChronoClock 1.2 fixes textual issues (fixed hscene encoding issues).
To make sure you get the new fixes, it is recommended that after you load from a previous...

cant find the denpasoft history but ill assume it will be the same as nutaku version.

not sure what is the difference between 1.01e and 1.2 and assuming that there isnt a hidden update that didnt posted on those site. ill say the quality is still not good. because there is still untranslated parts in 1.01e. ill leave the translation/editing quality to you guys.

googling chronoclock: you can find a downloadable 1.01e version uncensored

tldr. the latest patch was on march 2017 with still untranslated parts not sure if the credits in included. so still a bad quality

also sorry for a huge wall of teXt and quotes and english as well..

Edited by wyldstrykr

1 hour ago, phantomJS said:

Our dear littleshogun, they are kidding. You really expecting it to be carried out? :P

Looks like I misunderstood here, and of course I wouldn't expect them to carry that - too many risk if someone really carry that. I just explaining that it was a crime anyway, and I understand that it was only a joke.

As for EA, interesting situation if only made quite a controversy. If anything at least Sekai didn't buy another localization company yet. Although by the time they somehow managed to do that, they should be already fulfill ALL of their KS promises so I guess the answer is that Sekai still didn't like EA yet. Oh and Sekai definitely should fix their public communication first, or at the very least just didn't let Dovac tweet (It seems they realized that as well)

PS - Quite a number of downvotes that EA received at Reddit there, so much that it was quite absurd (~700,000 downvoted).

2 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

I am really distressed that they will be covering NarKarma's localization...

Nothing much to worry about I think as their work are comparatively very good in the industry.... or would you rather have Moenovel doing the localisation? :D

14 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

Nothing much to worry about I think as their work are comparatively very good in the industry.... or would you rather have Moenovel doing the localisation? :D

In case Pulltop really did that, then it won't be matter much because NarKarma itself was all age VN in the first place, and Pulltop blunder was they did cut the H scenes for overseas release.

Edited by littleshogun

6 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

comparatively very good

7 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

or would you rather have Moenovel doing the localisation? :D

Huuuh, just because there's much worse things out there doesn't mean we have to accept any so-so quality (I mean, looks like a gamble for Sekai, some of their releases are good, others are bad) there's around.

Zeno's article was an interesting read... and I'm glad I never funded anything. But I wonder... is there any localisation company that knows how to run a KS? Muv Luv or Dies Irae ones aren't much better than Sekai's...

17 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

The House In Fata Morgana is my favorite VN, period, and I don't want to have to support Sekai Project to play the next game by their developers in English.

12 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Huuuh, just because there's much worse things out there doesn't mean we have to accept any so-so quality (I mean, looks like a gamble for Sekai, some of their releases are good, others are bad) there's around.

Well, compared to other similar companies, I believe their work can be considered pretty good overall.

So who do u consider for the TL if not SP?