What's the most unique VN that you had read and why

phantomJS

Cross Channel, the overall setting is so unique and the novel plays on philosophical and moral ideas all the way throughout while managing to not be overbearing. The protagonist is also not a generic placeholder and is alpha as fuck

Spoiler

in more ways than one lmao

It also treads a dangerous line where it allows the reader to genuinely despise the MC for his actions and inner monologues whereas in most other vns the protagonist's thoughts and actions are usually relate-able and therefore likable, in my opinion I think Cross Channel treads this line really well, and that the payoff in the end is even greater because your opinion of Taichi changes throughout the novel rather than being constant all the way through.

DDLC is probably the most unique that I've played, since it plays around with the program and VN conventions in interesting ways. (I'll also include Totono given what I know about it, but I haven't actually read it myself, sooo...)

I also really like how Subahibi handled the same story from several different perspectives, each with its own nuances and twists.

Spoiler

Much like DDLC, I enjoy how it begins as a pretty mundane SoL-type story, and then completely pulls the rug from under your feet.

Ā 

I think I'll echo the opinions about Saya no Uta. It's so light-years away from the typical VN romcom's that it's almost hard to believe that it's really a Japanese VN. It's dark, but notĀ in the typical 'sex-fetishistic' way many nukiges provide. It's dark in a very mature way - it gives you the insight that being the monster can be very much in the eye of the beholder.

The PC Games magazine even wrote a nice article about it here.

Edited by ChaosRaven

Yume miru not farfetched...? Yeah, right, even adolescents, crazy as they are, know that raping your classmate can shipĀ you up to jail. Well, maybe not in Spain if you're a minor, you can practically kill maim and destroy and you'll be alright.

Ever17 i guess, It was so bloody long, thank god i was still in school when i read it or I wouldnt have had the time to read and get immersed in it. Its unique in the way it delivers the story and the way all the threads come together at the end.Ā 

Ā 

Cross Channel is another one with an unique setting, starts off as ordinary but gets creepier and creepier as story progresses.

MC and ending spoilers:

Ā 

How We learn that the MC is basically a psychopath and has little to no conscience but he still tried to save everyone, the ending left me feeling empty though, after all those hours spent he didnt deserve to be left all alone in that world. Its been years so tbh i dont remember much more lol

Ā 

G-Senjou no Maou also gets aĀ special mention since this is the first VN I read where there was a 'strong' male read, I was pleasantly surprised and it definately was a nice change of pace

Edited by Freestyle80

2 minutes ago, Freestyle80 said:

Ever17 i guess, It was so bloody long, thank god i was still in school when i read it or I wouldnt have had the time to read and get immersed in it. Its unique in the way it delivers the story and the way all the threads come together at the end.Ā 

I mean, it's not THAT long, it just feels like itĀ :makina:Ā The chicken sandwiches might be partially to blame.

1 minute ago, Thyndd said:

I mean, it's not THAT long, it just feels like itĀ :makina:Ā The chicken sandwiches might be partially to blame.

I mean it had no traditional routes and you are meant to play the whole thing to understand the story which is something I wasnt used to seeing, I usually dont do all the routes of a VN, only the ones i enjoyĀ 

2 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

I think you will it bloody hard to find Vns that can topple it in length :makina:

Up for the challenge? :sachi:

What do you mean? It's a medium length VNĀ :michiru:Ā With a walkthrough and an agile reading pace it shouldn't take you much more than 30h to go throughĀ the important content.

3 minutes ago, Freestyle80 said:

I mean it had no traditional routes and you are meant to play the whole thing to understand the story which is something I wasnt used to seeing, I usually dont do all the routes of a VN, only the ones i enjoyĀ 

Yeah I guess that's true. If you consider all of Ever17 as a whole route, then it's a pretty goddamn long one.Ā 

1 minute ago, Thyndd said:

What do you mean? It's a medium length VNĀ :michiru:Ā With a walkthrough and an agile reading pace it shouldn't take you much more than 30h to go throughĀ the important content. ---->

Yeah I guess that's true. If you consider all of Ever17 as a whole route, then it's a pretty goddamn long one.Ā 

Definitely does not feel like you only need 30h to read through the important parts of the story unless you are skipping through the text.

Overall, should be longer than even Rewrite, which is the longest VN i had ever read.

Just now, phantomJS said:

Definitely does not feel like you only need 30h to read through the important parts of the story unless you are skipping through the text.

Overall, should be longer than even Rewrite, which is the longest VN i had ever read.

Admittedly I didn't keep track of the time while I was reading it, but I definitely didn't skip through the text and I even took my time to write here in the forums my theories along the way. I think it took me like a month to finish, and hardly ever I read more than 1h per day, so I think the estimates in vndb and in howlongtobeat are accurate. It DID feel long though, at least until it all begins to unravel.

13 hours ago, phantomJS said:

Not... really? I mean, Rewrite is just massive. It has a long common route and seven (!) other routes, all of pretty considerable length. Comparing to that, Ever17 is pretty short. I guess, it may seem longer since it requires you to reread similar events several times. Rewrite always have something new to bring: even when you're skipping through the common route, you get quite a lot of unique scenes for each heroine, depending on which route you're going for (which only increases its length).

Plus, there's also Umineko if you count Chiru. Plus Fate, which has only 3 routes, but all of them are very long. I don't know, Ever17 doesn't really seem like it even compares to them in length.

Edited by Dreamysyu

6 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Ā It has a long common route and seven (!) other routes, all of pretty considerable length. Comparing to that, Ever17 is pretty short. I guess, it may seem longer since it requires you to reread similar events similar times.

I dropped Ever17 because of this and goggled the true end (too tedious for me). I was pretty sure it's longer than the likes of Rewrite =/ ......