What's the most unique VN that you had read and why

phantomJS

Despite the fact that I listed Sanoba Witch as finished in my VNDB list, I actually never finished Nene's route before. I stopped when the consequences of Nene's contract was revealed as, well, I don't like sad and depressing moments in VNs and this seems to be heading in that direction. So I left the route and completed the rest. This was over a year ago.

Having read through the trial of Riddle Joker again, I suddenly felt like I had heard Ayase's voice actress before in a previous Yuzusoft game. Turns out that she voiced Nene as well. Becaause of this, I felt like replaying the VN again.

Just finished Nene's route. I must say I'm feeling pretty awe-struck. Not only was the route damm well-written imo (gave me the feels), but the route 'twist' was very memorable as well, mainly because I have never experienced something like this before (although I must add, my VN experience is far more green when compared to some of the more esteemed members of fuwanovel). For sure, Sanoba Witch is the most unique VN I had read so far because of Nene's route (I understand saying the VN is unique purely because of 1 route is not very convincing. Doesn't matter. I don't intend for this topic to be serious :)  )

Guys, do share with us your unique VN / VN moments :)

Edited by phantomJS

Here are some memorable moments in a few of the VN's I have read. I'm going to try and be as vague as possible.

Hmm well for me I would say the scene in G-Senjou No Maou when Maou's masterstroke was implemented was like nothing I had yet encountered before.

Those were some incredibly anguishing and intense moments.

There is also a scene in Nurse Love Addiction that caught me completely off guard recently and I was just shocked. I say that because I'm fairly good at sniffing out those things but not that time.

The moment where you get to become closer to Lucia better in Rewrite.

That scene in Muv Luv Alternative...you know the scene..the pep talk.

The part in Coco's route in Ever17 when everything is revealed to you about well everything. Oh also the part where you find out more about what's really bugging  Tsugumi in her route.

The ending of The Sweetest Monster.

The reveals in Sharin No Kuni were amazingly well executed and caught me off guard.

Oh and probably the most unique moment in a vn for me was in Symphonic Rain when

Spoiler

Fal let you know that she had been using you this whole time. That was such a gut punch of a moment I couldn't believe something like that would happen in a visual novel and the way it happened

Memorable moments

Ever 17: mind fuckery at the True End when everything pieces together

Dies Irae: the sheer power and class of the battle scenes 

latest?cb=20150722040728

Muv-Luv Alternative: PTSD and that scene in Episode 9

Doki Doki Literature Club: Just Monika

Edited by wei123

Umineko hands down. While it is one of the best known and the most popular translated VNs, many people seem to ignore how unique it actually is (and I am not talking merely about the fact that it does not take place in high school). If we include VNs, LNs, WNs, Manga and western literature, I have read over 3000 volumes of literature (though majority of which consist of manga), but I am yet to find a more unique story.

Umineko is:

1. Murder mystery
  2. Modern Fantasy
  3. Commentary on the detective genre
  4. And does a lot of other stuff romance, philosophy, breaking the 4th wall etc.

Furthermore, it claims to be a kinetic novel (aka no choices) and technically has only 1 relevant choice for the ending, but manages to crush even that, by making player do not a physical, but a mental choice how to treat this story. At the same time it can be both: pure murder mystery without fantasy elements and a pure fantasy story.

I could go all day, but I think this much is enough for the explanation.

On the back of my head :

Muramasa :

In general for it's dark tone and interresting characters, the last "twist" just before the epilogue really hit me at the time, it does'nt change what had to be done but that's just the moment you understand even more why the protagonist act the way he does from the beginning of the game and it was really sad, i'd even say cruel.

MAJOR SPOILER below, Do not read if you didn't play the game, you've been warned.

Spoiler

Yes, the fact that Hikaru is actually his daughter, between him and his foster mother... I actually didn't saw this coming, with the way the whole thing is expressed...

He inflict himself a mortal wound to activate the curse of muramasa (well, more the "condition" than a curse, but still...) and kill Hikaru. Thus implying that his hate himself from the bottom of his heart, and love hikaru about as much as he hates himself.

Muv-Luv :

Very light sploiler, just in case ^^.

Spoiler

I saw recently some muv-luv trailers on youtube. It always remind me how fond i am of this game. It has some pretty strong nostalgic power (even when you do alternative for the fisrt time, you know, they make you nostalgic from extra xD). So yeah the multiples Sumika nostalgia scenes (i liked Sumika a lot ^^).

Hell when i heard the music at the end of this video, it bring back so much things, it even make me want to replay the game in japanese... But i have a neverending backlog lol, so probably not.

There are others, but i'm lazy to write it all  (would take me too much time organising my thought ^^).

The most unique VN I've ever read is Myth for a variety of reasons.

1. The overall premise of the story and where it goes is nothing like I've ever experienced in any other medium.
  2. The writer somehow manages to craft a brilliant story that makes some semblance of sense by the end despite how much the reader has no clue about throughout the overall read.
  3. My first and best experience with a complete denpa story and I will never forget all of the things I felt while reading this great VN.

Many moments in Grisaia no Kajitsu...

Spoiler

Amane's Angelic Howl flashback is a unforgettable setting I will never forget.

A hospital scene in Michiru's route being so depressing, I sobbed for the first time playing a game ever.

Grisaia no Rakuen...

Spoiler

The Angelic Howl (part 2) flashback, returns to utterly traumatize me. Scene was only an hour long, but it was so brutal and insane, it took me 3 attempts to push through it.

Game had a few awesome fight scenes!

If My Heart Had Wings....

Spoiler

That bike chase scene in Kotori's route! That was so awesome I was in tears.....

Me crying like a bitch in Clannad ...... more times then I could count. I probably cried more times then I did in my entire life upto that point...

Symphonic Rain was a very unique VN, ditching the japanese setting and moe elements the typical visual novel would usually have.

Spoiler

Falsita revealing her true colors. I could not pick my jaw off the floor....

The Al Fine mode, gently turning the game's setting on it's head. And you find out almost everything is a lie....

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

DDLC - mostly because of all the visual tricks and interesting details the author used to enhance the horror.

Unrelated note to topic:

Was reading a thread about it in VNDB that it has similarities to Totono, andChronobox. The way Salvato hides the secrets also feels like he copied from FNAF series lol.

But yeah, saw some video play-thoughs on it and it's definitely unique ~~ 

Strctly answering to the "unique" point, if you consider it a visual novel, then Doki Doki Literature Club.

Other visual novels had a greater impact on me, by far, but as the question is on being "unique", then it really can't be any other title.

Edited by Overlord87

I assume we should ignore hybrid VNs like Kamidori and Rance series because they are a different kind of unique.

I would say Musumaker. It starts out as fluffy moe comedy, but has a significant genre change into a more serious and somewhat darker story. Both parts are well written and the change doesn't feel out of place. Having the same characters in multiple genres like that is most certainly unusual. It's also unique in having minigames, which actually fits into the story, work on their own and doesn't become annoying or interrupting the story. Also despite using minigames, it is most certainly a VN and nowhere close to a hybrid game.

Yume Miru Kusuri: It takes on some real world problems and gives insights in ways only a VN can achieve. It's one of those titles, which makes you stop and think. Unlike a lot of other VNs, this one is powerful in the sense that it's not farfetched and could be real, though most people will (luckily) not have real life experience like this.

4 hours ago, wei123 said:

Memorable moments

Ever 17: mind fuckery at the True End when everything pieces together

I would add that one as well, though I did miss the answer to one issue.

Spoiler

When everybody had gathered in one room, who kicked the can in the other room?

11 minutes ago, tymmur said:

Yume Miru Kusuri: It takes on some real world problems and gives insights in ways only a VN can achieve. It's one of those titles, which makes you stop and think. Unlike a lot of other VNs, this one is powerful in the sense that it's not farfetched and could be real, though most people will (luckily) not have real life experience like this.

Perhaps it's 'too' unique as It recently got a worst garbage VNvote.

Now don't go analytical on me, friend. This post is mainly for my own amusement as I find it funnily ironic that that garbage VN post happened just before you posted and praised this VN lolz :D  

2 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

Kirikoi for telling the reason of life

Adding my vote with Kiri because you can have a couple of threesome H-scenes while being on DRUGS in kirikoi.

pretty unique stuff 

Edited by HMN

1 hour ago, tymmur said:

I would add that one as well, though I did miss the answer to one issue.

Hide contents

When everybody had gathered in one room, who kicked the can in the other room?

1 hour ago, phantomJS said:

Perhaps it's 'too' unique as It recently got a worst garbage VNvote.

Now don't go analytical on me, friend. This post is mainly for my own amusement as I find it funnily ironic that that garbage VN post happened just before you posted and praised this VN lolz :D  

Sorry, but you can't avoid an analysis when somebody disagrees with me :P

What's interesting here is that both statements could arguably be right. Apparently YMK is being bashed for the protagonist, his sister and the H scenes. I ignored those and pointed to the topics being dealt with and how they provide insights into something often not talked about. As such those two statements doesn't downright conflict. It also proofs a statement I made quite a while ago that I believe a significant number of people miss the main point in YMK.

Remember 11 - Because it didn't have clear ending, and the closest thing to the actual answer would be one of the guess what's the ending supposed to be.

Subahibi - Hard to explain without spoiler, but basically it hid the main theme through the thick layer of disturbing scenes. Have five protagonists (MC) with different view, so there'll be many personality.

Little Busters - Had baseball minigame and fighting minigame, although those two were almost pointless to the main story (I knew there's a reason of why the gameplay exist, but still).

Edited by littleshogun