Ending tags on VNDB

MaggieROBOT

No, I'm not turning into Thatcomicguy and his daily threads.

Something serious for once. I know that VNDB tags have their share of problems and open spoilers is the one thing I hate the most, even more when it's something related to the ending of the VN. Like, more than once I saw things like "only good endings", "only bad endings", "unavoidable harem ending" and "parting ending" as unmarked spoilers and with strength 3. And they were literally the first tag I saw in said novels. Not cool.

So I wanted to hear some opinions. Should tags like these really not be marked as major spoiler? Sure, a fully visible "unavoidable harem ending" doesn't look like a deal breaker for me, but "only bad endings" is. Even if the VN is the most utsuge-ish thing ever, I want to have that 1% of hope, so don't show me the "only bad endings" tag... And if someone REALLY wants to see the ending tags because they are so sensitive to content, they should go and click the show spoilers to spoil it only for themselves.

What you guys think?

EDIT: I promised that this is gonna be serious so I'll not comment that both my likes and my posts ends in 69.

Edited by MaggieROBOT

I'm with you on VNDB and spoilers. It's annoying when one of the first things you see spoils half the VN, if not more. Add to that that it seems that a number of VNDB editors don't care about spoilers. Sometimes I wonder if an editor decided to brag about knowing as many spoilers as possible.

27 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

EDIT: I promised that this is gonna be serious so I'll not comment that both my likes and my posts ends in 69.

This mean you can't comment and none of us can like you or this line won't stay true. I guess I have no choice but to like you as a person instead of liking your posts :wub:

1 hour ago, MaggieROBOT said:

No, I'm not turning into Thatcomicguy and his daily threads.

Something serious for once. I know that VNDB tags have their share of problems and open spoilers is the one thing I hate the most, even more when it's something related to the ending of the VN. Like, more than once I saw things like "only good endings", "only bad endings", "unavoidable harem ending" and "parting ending" as unmarked spoilers and with strength 3. And they were literally the first tag I saw in said novels. Not cool.

The problem isn't that glaring with the "Parting Ending" tag, since, 90% of the VNs tagged with it are spoiler marked, BUT, yeah I can say that this is a issue with the "only good/bad ends" tag, like in NTR Nukiges you would already expect a "only BE tags" but in plotges this is specially glaring, since the impact of some in-game scenes are based on the fact that you as the reader don't have this type of knowledge.

Like I thinl Nakiges and Utsuges should also be properly marked as spoiler-y, depending on the nature of the game, per example in a certain OELVN that made success recently (spoilers!)...

Spoiler

Independent of what you do, all the heroines are gonna die at some point.  

Would the scenes revolving around that event have the same impact if you knew that would happen, by accidentally seeing a "3.0" Unavoidable Something or Other tag on the VNDb page of it? Unless you're a spoiler fan, certainly not.

I mean, even the EPO (Enforced Playing Order) tag can be spoiler-y in certain VNs. People should be more careful when tagging things on the Db since sometimes they forget or don't realize that a tag can represent a spoiler, also on a "side complain" of sorts, some should think about before giving a -3 to a tag, since it still irritates me when I see people down-voting tags that actually apply to the VN, kek.

13 hours ago, SeniorBlitz said:

some should think about before giving a -3 to a tag, since it still irritates me when I see people down-voting tags that actually apply to the VN, kek

If a VN have a right tag but with waaaaay too much strength (in your opinion, of course), the only way to actually lower the strength average is with a -3, you know? It's just basic math.

I am kind of torn on this, on one side I think spoilers can be annyoing if they reveal something that I would rather find out in the VN, but on the other hand I also want to make sure that it is a VN I am going to like, for instance I want to avoid things like VNs with NTR as well as VNs that are utsuge, because of this having tags for this is quite usefull for me. Often I quickly search up the cgs of the VN to make sure it doesn't include things like a heroine cheating if I am a bit uncertain if the VN is going to have that or not.

Edited by bakauchuujin

Just now, bakauchuujin said:

on the other hand I also want to make sure that it is a VN I am going to like, for instance I want to avoid things like VNs with NTR as well as VNs that are utsuge, because of this having tags for this is quite usefull for me.

If the VNDB spoiler system is used correctly, you would get the information you ask for if you set it to show minor spoilers. This way you can find out something about the VN and you can choose how much to be told before starting. Not using the spoiler system mean you don't have the choice yourself.

1 hour ago, MaggieROBOT said:

If a VN have a right tag but with waaaaay too much strength (in your opinion, of course), the only way to actually lower the strength average is with a -3, you know? It's just basic math.

Oh, I was talking about a situation where there aren't many votes and the strenght of the tag Actually applies to the VN.

18 hours ago, MaggieROBOT said:

So I wanted to hear some opinions. Should tags like these really not be marked as major spoiler? Sure, a fully visible "unavoidable harem ending" doesn't look like a deal breaker for me, but "only bad endings" is. Even if the VN is the most utsuge-ish thing ever, I want to have that 1% of hope, so don't show me the "only bad endings" tag... And if someone REALLY wants to see the ending tags because they are so sensitive to content, they should go and click the show spoilers to spoil it only for themselves.

Well, it's the common problem with the community-ran databases and wikis that sometimes people who contribute to them just don't put enough thought and effort to make their contributions actually good. To be honest, I have no idea how it's possible to make a game where ending tags wouldn't be a spoiler, at least a minor one. I think, vndb developers should just make it so that it's impossible to set these tags to "not a spoiler". I just looked up what popular VNs are marked with "only bad endings" without spoilers, and it's just stupid.

Talking more generally about spoilers in vndb tags, I'm pretty torn on this issue. To be honest, if you care about spoilers so much that you prefer going in completely blind, you shouldn't read vndb tags at all. For example, even the tags like "Osananajimi heroine" are technically a spoiler since some people may prefer to learn about heroines only after they start a game. So, it's quite obvious that the line between something that should be tagged as a spoiler and something that shouldn't is pretty vague. But here we must remember why tags exist in the first place: they are mean to help people to choose that VN they want to read next. I think, no actual spoilers should be allowed, but the tags should give the general idea on what the game is about thematically. In that sense, I disagree with @SeniorBlitz, I don't think more genre-related tags such as "Nakige" or "Utsuge" (or "Denpa") shouldn't be hidden, unless there is a massive tone shift in the middle or something like that. In most cases these tags are a) basically the main selling point of the game; b) are so vague that you basically get nothing about the game from knowing them. Like, the only thing that you get from the Nakige tag is that the game is going to try to make you cry at some point. Does this count as a spoiler? I don't think so.

37 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

In that sense, I disagree with @SeniorBlitz, I don't think more genre-related tags such as "Nakige" or "Utsuge" (or "Denpa") shouldn't be hidden, unless there is a massive tone shift in the middle or something like that. In most cases these tags are a) basically the main selling point of the game; b) are so vague that you basically get nothing about the game from knowing them. Like, the only thing that you get from the Nakige tag is that the game is going to try to make you cry at some point. Does this count as a spoiler? I don't think so.

It wasn't my intention to pass the idea that all Nakige/Utsuge tags should be hidden, I was mainly talking about the VNs where such tags would be a spoiler. Though I guess you already said that. xoP