Bad anime with good openings

Dreamysyu

Today I decided to rewatch a few clips from Rewrite anime, just to be reminded of how absolutely lackluster this thing is, but then I realized that its openings are actually pretty good:

And it seems to be a pretty common thing between VN adaptations to have openings much better than actual shows. :makina:

So, I decided to make a thread about it. Basically, have you ever thought that some mediocre anime had a great opening? Discuss!

Did you meant the movies or the songs? If it was only the song, I can make a top 100 xD

So. I gave up halfway through the DanganRonpa anime, but this rap opening is strangely good AND IT HAVE MONOKUMA DANCING SEXILY

Spoiler

Not VN, but Gokukoku no Brynhildr's opening is an epic instrumental thing so not opening but good anyway

Spoiler

And finally Poputepipikku oh wait, never mind, that anime is so bad it's good, doesn't count! It took a while to get this song out of my head, oh wait, I'm remembering it nooo Kurikaeshi Omoiegaku supiro gurafu~

Spoiler

Edited by MaggieROBOT

59 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Did you meant the movies or the songs?

Well, making different threads for both of these would be unreasonable, so both. :vanilla:

Though in case of Rewrite I mostly like how the videos themselves lead to the story and are filled with little details which are only understandable after you know the story. The songs are also nice, but they aren't what stands out for me.

4 hours ago, tahu157 said:

Highschool of the Dead is the best example I can think of.

Heresy

Well, I actually found it difficult to think of animes that I didn't like, and harder to remember their openings.  To name a few:

To be fair, I enjoyed the first half of SAO (before Alfheim), so I understand why it is so acclaimed. It simply did not fit my taste. Shana was dropped after a few episodes, this I don't get where the hype come from. D Frag was just one of the thousands of highschool comedy.

Edited by Silvz

Hah...In post so far I actually see some anime which were not that bad. For example, Guilty Crown. People keep comparing it with Code Geass and claim it is trash, but to be perfectly honest, majority of anime compared to it is trash. Heck, majority of modern anime are rip off ether other anime or just plain bad.

Anyway on topic, here are a few I could think of:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Sparteh said:

For example, Guilty Crown.

Like I said, Guilty Crown isn't too too bad. I was pretty dissatisfied with the ending though. I also sometimes think it's more of an animation showcase than an anime but I guess that's not really fair either.

1 hour ago, tahu157 said:

Like I said, Guilty Crown isn't too too bad. I was pretty dissatisfied with the ending though. I also sometimes think it's more of an animation showcase than an anime but I guess that's not really fair either.

Animation showcase rather than anime? Personally I disagree. The majority of modern anime is ether adaptations without proper endings. Furthermore, it is the same school/SoL story with 1 or 2 different small elements. At least GC had an ending. In fact, it was pretty good ending if you go with the theories. Moreover, if you want to say that it was showcase of something, it would be soundtrack. Now that I would agree on.

7 hours ago, tahu157 said:

GC polarises people. Me, I'm firmly in the "this is a steaming pile of shit" camp.

12 minutes ago, ittaku said:

GC polarises people. Me, I'm firmly in the "this is a steaming pile of shit" camp.

The music is amazing though :isla:

Now the next one I'm going to say is probably going to cause some controversy as well... but for me it's mediocre at best. So much lost potential...

1 minute ago, Thyndd said:

Now the next one I'm going to say is probably going to cause some controversy as well... but for me it's mediocre at best. So much lost potential...

Another polarising one? It's easy to be liked when you shitcan something like I did with Guilty Crown but in fact I absolutely loved Nagi no Asukara...

2 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Another polarising one? It's easy to be liked when you shitcan something like I did with Guilty Crown but in fact I absolutely loved Nagi no Asukara...

Yeah I mean... I don't think there's an objective truth here. We just value differently different points, that's all. In my case, I loved the setting and found some topics really interesting, but the series actually focus more on the adolescent drama and love n-polygons, which I personally find very tiresome. The music and animation were top notch, there's no denying that.

52 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

We just value differently different points, that's all. In my case, I loved the setting and found some topics really interesting, but the series actually focus more on the adolescent drama and love n-polygons, which I personally find very tiresome. The music and animation were top notch, there's no denying that.

Sure thing. I'm a sucker for romance, especially with happy endings.

• 3 weeks later...