Trying to translate some アパタイト titles and .ks issues

Hello, I would like to ask some help regarding the .ks files found inside the .xp3 archive.

I'm trying to translate an アパタイト game, and I did the following:

1) downloaded AE tools;

2) Extracted all the files inside "data.xp3" archive and looked for the .ks files in the "scenario" directory.

The problems start here: firstly, I'm unable to directly read with notepad++ any .ks file (I fear it's encrypted, preventing me from directly reading its content), secondly, before making this thread asking for help, I looked on already existing ones, which pointed me to either xp3tools, krkrextract (which I don't know how to build/compile since I'm ignorant on the matter), or sacanawarapper. Unfortunately both xp3tools and sacanawarapper did not work for me (sacanawarapper deliver me a .txt file, but with illegible content).

So, as a last resort measure I did the following:

On AE tools, under data tools, by using the bruteforce bytes feature + XOR mode, I was able to make readable some .ks files (i'm still in the process of making all the rest readable, which is quite time consuming).

Long story short, what I would like to know is: Am I wasting time by doing bruteforce + XOR mode? Is there a faster and simpler way to retrieve the text inside each .ks files?

Hope for anyone willing to help this newbie wannabe translator, any help is appreciated. :)

Since you had some luck with bruteforce, you know by now that you need to find a series of bytes, which you XOR with the file contents. You don't have to know what that means (it's on the individual bit level). All you need to know is that it requires some sort of password and odds are that it's the same for all files. Doesn't brute force tell you which key it used to extract? Just copy paste that as the key to use with other files and it should work.

There are other approaches as well, but why divert from something you apparently got to work already?

5 minutes ago, tymmur said:

Since you had some luck with bruteforce, you know by now that you need to find a series of bytes, which you XOR with the file contents. You don't have to know what that means (it's on the individual bit level). All you need to know is that it requires some sort of password and odds are that it's the same for all files. Doesn't brute force tell you which key it used to extract? Just copy paste that as the key to use with other files and it should work.

I lack experience with this sort of stuff, so I'm not even sure what I should specifically say. I don't THINK I got some kind of key. What I did was bruteforce with xor, got 255 files from the original .ks (named as the original + a number from 1 to 255) selected by me,  and checked all of them one by one until I could find the one with readable text (here is what i did, in details).

What I noticed is that the parameters number was always different for every .ks file.

There are other approaches as well, but why divert from something you apparently got to work already?

More than diverting, I'm asking if i'm doing the right thing or if I'm just doing it the wrong/longer/harder way.

As a side note, I tried to repack the .xp3 (without changing any of its content), but the game refuses to run, saying there are issues with ANSI/UNICODE.

I understood nothing from the terms that you used, but I'm also using .ks files to translate Fata Morgana, and I'd like to ask you if there is a way to work with the text without having to go through each line of text and code. Because what I've been doing is literally erasing the original line and inserting a new one in the text file, and this is a stressful work, since I sometimes end up deleting some codes or missing lines.

I'm not happy with xp3/ks files. I never used that specific format much and it always end up problematic. However I can't remember ever having given up completely.

44 minutes ago, きょうすけ said:

As a side note, I tried to repack the .xp3 (without changing any of its content), but the game refuses to run, saying there are issues with ANSI/UNICODE.

Do you use Japanese locale? Usually Japanese VNs use CodePage 932 (aka shift-jis), not ANSI or unicode.

30 minutes ago, Silvz said:

I'd like to ask you if there is a way to work with the text without having to go through each line of text and code. Because what I've been doing is literally erasing the original line and inserting a new one in the text file, and this is a stressful work, since I sometimes end up deleting some codes or missing lines.

For any format, you should split the code and the text or you will end up doing precisely what you just said: delete or modify code and make the game crash. I can remember I once saw an application, which can split the text and code as well as put them together again. The problem is now I can't find it.

The only thing I can think of is write my own in perl script and then generate some sort of txt file, which can safely be edited and then another script (or same with different argument) to merge text and code. It shouldn't take too long, but I will need an example file because I can't remember the format precise enough to do it from memory.

I'm not happy with xp3/ks files. I never used that specific format much and it always end up problematic. However I can't remember ever having given up completely.

Do you use Japanese locale? Usually Japanese VNs use CodePage 932 (aka shift-jis), not ANSI or unicode.

I set my pc to be in japanese so I think that shouldn't be an issue...the problem is that after trying to simply repack the same files without touching any of them, the game still didn't want to run.

I also noticed some .sig files following any .xp3 file, which makes me question what they are needed for.

10 minutes ago, きょうすけ said:

I also noticed some .sig files following any .xp3 file, which makes me question what they are needed for.

Don't know/can't remember :amane:

There is the option to use Visual Novel Reader as well. It's a better reading experience if the script is extracted, changed to English and then injected back into the VN, but considering that you have problems doing that and high quality is not your primary goal, it just might be the thing for you.

15 minutes ago, tymmur said:

Don't know/can't remember :amane:

There is the option to use Visual Novel Reader as well. It's a better reading experience if the script is extracted, changed to English and then injected back into the VN, but considering that you have problems doing that and high quality is not your primary goal, it just might be the thing for you.

Uh, never heard of it, is it used for hooking text? At least this is what it seems to be after searching on the web.

I never really used it, but from how I understand it, it is text hooking and can display the text in an overlay window. You can then write your own line (translated) and it will be stored on the disk/server?. Each time a new line is encountered, it will look up to see if there is a translation for the Japanese line in question. If there is, then it will be displayed. Work long enough on this and you will get a fully translated VN, but the text will be in some sort of popup window, not in the VN itself. Also if two lines happen to be 100% the same, the translation will have to be 100% the same.

In short: you can translate without messing with file extraction, but the display quality of the result will not be as good as if you did work on the script files.

I think it can also be used for machine translations, but I'm not sure. It's certainly not recommended to use those.

2 minutes ago, tymmur said:

I never really used it, but from how I understand it, it is text hooking and can display the text in an overlay window. You can then write your own line (translated) and it will be stored on the disk/server?. Each time a new line is encountered, it will look up to see if there is a translation for the Japanese line in question. If there is, then it will be displayed. Work long enough on this and you will get a fully translated VN, but the text will be in some sort of popup window, not in the VN itself. Also if two lines happen to be 100% the same, the translation will have to be 100% the same.

In short: you can translate without messing with file extraction, but the display quality of the result will not be as good as if you did work on the script files.

I think it can also be used for machine translations, but I'm not sure. It's certainly not recommended to use those.

Mmmh I see. Not the best experience imho, but thanks for the advice!

I'll keep doing some tests before ultimately giving up.

22 minutes ago, Silvz said:

Tymurr, I don't know how to do that :<

Read again.

23 hours ago, tymmur said:

The only thing I can think of is write my own in perl script and then generate some sort of txt file, which can safely be edited and then another script (or same with different argument) to merge text and code. It shouldn't take too long, but I will need an example file because I can't remember the format precise enough to do it from memory.

I didn't say you should start to write a script to do that.

First of all, you don't give the name of the game, Appetite have too many games.
Second, you don't upload your problematic .ks file, this will we know the reason to who don't wants download the game.
Keep in mind we can't do magic, we need a way to get the games files to test it.

Anyway, about your problem, I think your problem is in your kirkiri extraction tool, to have sure of this, try open a other file like a .png, .tlg or .ogg...
If the file with other extensions don't open too your extractor is the problem here, and if open, your extractor is just a possibility (yes, have games that use diferent encryptions to some extensions)...

8 hours ago, marcus-beta said:

First of all, you don't give the name of the game, Appetite have too many games.
Second, you don't upload your problematic .ks file, this will we know the reason to who don't wants download the game.
Keep in mind we can't do magic, we need a way to get the games files to test it.

Anyway, about your problem, I think your problem is in your kirkiri extraction tool, to have sure of this, try open a other file like a .png, .tlg or .ogg...
If the file with other extensions don't open too your extractor is the problem here, and if open, your extractor is just a possibility (yes, have games that use diferent encryptions to some extensions)...

The reason for which I didn't say the title yet, was because I tried different ones gut got the same result, hence I thought it was irrelevant.

As per the .ks uploading: isn't that copyrighted material, so against the rules? (It's a serious question)

Btw I was able to correctly extract and translate the text by using krkrextract (I was using different tools when making this thread).

Btw thanks for looking at my post.

Since this could be relevant to another issue of mine, I'm facing another one, not major, but something I wold like to find a solution for:

Right now I'm translating this one, and while the translation is going pretty much smooth, I can't wrap/start a new line, causing the engine to separate english words wrongly. Do you have any possibile solution for this?

On 4/10/2018 at 2:59 AM, きょうすけ said:

I can't wrap/start a new line, causing the engine to separate english words wrongly.

do you already solve this problem yet?
guess i found new workaround for this...
i tested this game yesterday
try this:

lets assume this is the japanese text
これは日本語テキストです。 これは新しい行です。

you want to make it looks like this:
これは日本語テキストです。
これは新しい行です。

so do this:
これは日本語テキストです。[r]
これは新しい行です。  <move this to the new line with Enter
put [r] instead of  \n and after that, hit enter so that the text split to the new line

let me know if this works, but if you already solve this problem, just ignore it.

Edited by Huang Ling Yin
add some detail

26 minutes ago, Huang Ling Yin said:

do you already solve this problem yet?
guess i found new workaround for this...
i tested this game yesterday
try this:

lets assume this is the japanese text
これは日本語テキストです。 これは新しい行です。

you want to make it looks like this:
これは日本語テキストです。
これは新しい行です。

so do this:
これは日本語テキストです。[r]
これは新しい行です。  <move this to the new line with Enter
put [r] instead of  \n and after that, hit enter so that the text split to the new line

let me know if this works, but if you already solve this problem, just ignore it.

Holy cows, it works!

I can't  thank you enough for helping me in this regard (it also somewhat improved my mood which was crushed earlier...)!

I don't know how did you find it, but you made my day, thanks again! :)