Hello there

Greetings, new user here, from Italy.

I've been playing VNs for a very long time now, and I would like to finally jump on some translation projects.

I'm still sudying japanese during my free time and at a slow pace, but I'm really craving for some translations, as it's something which I always loved to do since time immemorial.

Hope to meet good people here, who wouldn't mind to give me some advices on the road. See you around!

3 hours ago, phantomJS said:

Welcome to Fuwanovel :)

I think a lot of people will be happy to know you would like to help translate VNs. Head over to Translation Projects Sub-Forums for more info on these.

Thanks in advanced for helping with TL projects. Hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm already browsing the translation projects thread, although I think that I'm not qualified enough to help any existing project. Nice to meet you btw!

Edited by きょうすけ

8 minutes ago, きょうすけ said:

I think that I'm not qualified enough to help and existing project.

That's what I was wondering about when I read your first post. Your skill level could be anything based on what you wrote because you told basically nothing other than the fact that you are studying.

If you feel like you aren't qualified, maybe the best option is to find some mindless nukige with pretty CGs and get started. Sure your quality will suck, particularly at first, but nobody will be upset that you ruined a good story and you will be able to train yourself and get experience. Maybe go back and retranslate once you gained experience. Maybe you will end up with something worth releasing at some point and maybe not, but it's likely the way to go if you really want to translate VNs without having the skills for it right now. Alternatively just study Japanese, but maybe you need to actually do some translation work to keep being motivated or to get some hands on experience.

There are threads on how to study Japanese. You should look into those.

And welcome. It's always nice to see somebody new, who wants to get into translations, even if you aren't ready to deliver high quality translations just yet.

Hello.

I'll repeat what Tymmur said. It's not a great idea to TL anything that has a lot of text or is of high value to the VN community until you feel skilled enough to do such a translation, and even then, you should definitely get a veteran to check your work just to make sure you're not overestimating yourself.

That being said, glad you have some motivation and I hope you can improve in your TL work.

21 minutes ago, tymmur said:

That's what I was wondering about when I read your first post. Your skill level could be anything based on what you wrote because you told basically nothing other than the fact that you are studying.

If you feel like you aren't qualified, maybe the best option is to find some mindless nukige with pretty CGs and get started. Sure your quality will suck, particularly at first, but nobody will be upset that you ruined a good story and you will be able to train yourself and get experience. Maybe go back and retranslate once you gained experience. Maybe you will end up with something worth releasing at some point and maybe not, but it's likely the way to go if you really want to translate VNs without having the skills for it right now. Alternatively just study Japanese, but maybe you need to actually do some translation work to keep being motivated or to get some hands on experience.

There are threads on how to study Japanese. You should look into those.

And welcome. It's always nice to see somebody new, who wants to get into translations, even if you aren't ready to deliver high quality translations just yet.

Thanks for the kind welcome.

Exactly. I already spent some hours looking for some short nukige VNs I could translate (I was looking at some アパタイト titles, as their text is mosltly simple, but I'm already facing issues format type wise.

I took a look this thread, which should be one of the first to take into account; successfully extracted .ks files which seem to be encrypted though, preventing me from reading the text inside of them.

As I side note, I started studying japanese a few years ago, but I taken it seriously just mid 2017. I'm toward memorizing kanji along new words (which isn't truly a problem, mostly because I started playing VNs around 2010, so most words and sentences are familiar to me.

Also, looking forward JLPT this year.

Edited by きょうすけ

5 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Hello.

I'll repeat what Tymmur said. It's not a great idea to TL anything that has a lot of text or is of high value to the VN community until you feel skilled enough to do such a translation, and even then, you should definitely get a veteran to check your work just to make sure you're not overestimating yourself.

That being said, glad you have some motivation and I hope you can improve in your TL work.

Yeah, I had that in mind. It wouldn't be wise to start a big project with my level of knowledge as for now, so I wanted to start with something small, but alas, I'm pretty new with all of this, and encrypted files are somewhat stopping me from starting something in the first place.

As for asking a veteran to check my work, that goes without a question, especially since I'm not an english mother language. The only problem here is that I'd feel bad for bothering someone for my sake.

19 minutes ago, きょうすけ said:

I'm not an english mother language.

The irony is strong in this one. You write decent English, but precisely that sentence is a bit messed up. In proper English, it would be "I'm not a native English speaker". Unlike a bunch of other languages, English use "native speaker" rather than talking about the language of your mother. It's in no way so bad that the meaning will not get through. I have seen much worse from otherwise decent English speakers.

19 minutes ago, きょうすけ said:

The only problem here is that I'd feel bad for bothering someone for my sake.

I get what you mean by this, but I don't think it's the right way to think. Sure you shouldn't bother somebody once a week with sentences you partly made up in a few minutes, but if you do your best, translate a VN and then go over it a few times to see how much you can fix due to added experience, then you could ask somebody to take a look. It's not just for your sake, but it's also to judge if it's worth releasing. Maybe ask for help with a partial translation in case you can learn new stuff, which then mean you will make less mistakes in the rest.

It's a balance between bothering people and not using people willing to help. Just stating "I'm insignificant" is not the way to end up as a great translator because you prevent yourself from learning from experienced people. Remember the worst that can happen is asking if somebody will look through it and then nobody says yes, or just one person says yes and then quit reading. None of that is worse than not asking at all.

Edited by tymmur

9 minutes ago, tymmur said:

The irony is strong in this one. You write decent English, but precisely that sentence is a bit messed up. In proper English, it would be "I'm not a native English speaker". Unlike a bunch of other languages, English use "native speaker" rather than talking about the language of your mother. It's in no way so bad that the meaning will not get through. I have seen much worse from otherwise decent English speakers.

Oh my, You got me there. And that's precisely why is imperative for me to find someone who can check my translation work. Thanks for correcting me, this was a huge help. Much appreciated.

9 minutes ago, tymmur said:

I get what you mean by this, but I don't think it's the right way to think. Sure you shouldn't bother somebody once a week with sentences you partly made up in a few minutes, but if you do your best, translate a VN and then go over it a few times to see how much you can fix due to added experience, then you could ask somebody to take a look. It's not just for your sake, but it's also to judge if it's worth releasing. Maybe ask for help with a partial translation in case you can learn new stuff, which then mean you will make less mistakes in the rest.

It's a balance between bothering people and not using people willing to help. Just stating "I'm insignificant" is not the way to end up as a great translator because you prevent yourself from learning from experienced people. Remember the worst that can happen is asking if somebody will look through it and then nobody says yes, or just one person says yes and then quit reading. None of that is worse than not asking at all.

You are probably right. I'm usually the insecure type, who fears to screw up here and there; since translating something is a dream I cherish from my childhood (growing up by following NES/SNES translations from the old days, good times), I'm even MORE scared of screwing up, making me question whether I'm suited for this kind of job at all.

All in all I need to find the correct balance when asking for help, as you said.

Thanks for all these tips!

11 hours ago, wei123 said:

Well hello there! :sachi: It seems like there are quite a lot of introductions in fuwa lately

10 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Welcome to Fuwa! 

I hope our little site can satisfy your translation cravings dispite any doubts that arose so far. ;)

9 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Welcome to Fuwa! 

9 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Welcome to Fuwanovel! :mare:

Thanks to all of you!

7 hours ago, Weiterfechten said:

Welcome to Fuwanovel きょうすけ! :sachi:  あなたの日本語勉強でがんばってね!

ありがとうございます!頑張ってみせます!

Welcome to Fuwanovel, and sorry for the belated greeting. As for your Japanese study, good luck on that and hopefully you'll able to translate a VN in the future (Short one is fine as well if you just want to started it, and remember that translating VN is usually quite need a lot of effort). Have fun.

10 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Welcome to Fuwanovel, and sorry for the belated greeting. As for your Japanese study, good luck on that and hopefully you'll able to translate a VN in the future (Short one is fine as well if you just want to started it, and remember that translating VN is usually quite need a lot of effort). Have fun.

Thanks for your kind words! I'll try my best. :)