Kino's Journey 2017

Darklord Rooke

Is inferior in almost every way to the 2003 original. I am so seriously disappointed by this lacklustre remake. The ways in which it doesn't live up are too numerous to count.

Firstly 2003 Kino is introspective. It's thoughtful, it's philosophical. It takes the viewer on a ride through the world and encourages them to think about what's going on. 2017 Kino succumbs to the urge of telling you what's going on. Thanks for taking a lot of the atmosphere out of the show.

Secondly when I talk about writing I usually talk about how genre fiction encourages the use of what I call "invisible prose", or prose that likes to get out of the way of the story. That way the reader doesn't notice it and is drawn into the story. 2017 uses the art/graphical (I dunno what it's called) equivalent of invisible prose, it looks good, it shows the background, it gets out of the way, it does a job without people pointing and laughing. Contrast this to 2003 Kino, which loves to use many techniques to draw attention to the style and then uses that style to get the viewer to think more on the themes and message. From the use of colours and blurred pictures, to the manipulation of sounds, to the soundless moments on the screen that pop up with the last pieces of dialogue. It's more dangerous - call attention to style and muck it up and it's so much more noticeable (because you're obviously calling attention to it), but it serves the philosophical and thoughtful nature of the show well.

And of course it would be more artistic. Directed by the legendary man who create Serial Experiments Lain, how could it not? That talent was missing from 2017, and boy did it show.

Story choice was poor, although that's what happens when you leave things up to a vote. Mobocracy is not a good method of making creative decisions. What we got was a focus on the "cool aspects" of the show, and a lessening of what actually makes Kino's Journey so damn great. The more action in a show of limited time, the less time there is for everything else, and when the show isn't really an action show that often becomes a detriment. It doesn't help when the powers that be decides to cut critical context out of the show which changes the character and leaves the audience a bit befuzzled.

Kino's character has always been a bit bland, but 2017 focuses more on that character whereas in 2003 she's more of an observer. She conveys to you the world, whereas in 2017 she's more interpreting it.

I'm not going to make this a long post so I'll stop there. I'm rewatching Kino's Journey 2003 and man it's so good. Rest in peace Ryutaro Nakamura, you were a genius and you died far too young.

Oh dear. I haven't watched the 2017 remake but I was planning to, and I still will because I want to check it out for myself. From what you're saying they've stripped away its charm and soul.

2 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Is stuff from 2003 really considered old? :( 

It's 15 years old - realising that surprised me. The answer is, unfortunately, yes, by many anime viewers... who probably also think last season's anime is old. And complain about animation looking too old. :reeee:

18 minutes ago, Sayaka said:

Oh dear. I haven't watched the 2017 remake but I was planning to, and I still will because I want to check it out for myself. From what you're saying they've stripped away its charm and soul.

The quality is also inconsistent. 2017 episode 1 was okay, episode 2 was quite bad (it doesn't help that the same story existed in 2003 but done much better).

My first experience with Kino was with the remake, and I've been somewhat disappointed with what I've watched. I think the ideas are interesting, but the delivery feels kinda stale, and I've never really felt any sense of immersion despite its setting. One of my primary complaints about the anime is that I did not care at all about Kino, but if the older rendition doesn't focus on her as much as the remake, I may be more inclined to forgive that.

As a complete newcomer to the series, I didn't think the remake was terrible, but I probably will end up dropping it and picking up the original instead.

Edited by Kenshin_sama

On 5.04.2018 at 1:44 AM, Kenshin_sama said:

My first experience with Kino was with the remake, and I've been somewhat disappointed with what I've watched. I think the ideas are interesting, but the delivery feels kinda stale, and I've never really felt any sense of immersion despite its setting. One of my primary complaints about the anime is that I did not care at all about Kino, but if the older rendition doesn't focus on her as much as the remake, I may be more inclined to forgive that.

As a complete newcomer to the series, I didn't think the remake was terrible, but I probably will end up dropping it and picking up the original instead.

The original show's strength lies in the fact, the main heroine is just a traveller, in both senses of that word. She's mostly a silent watcher, a passerby; she rarely gets involved with things that happen around her - not because she does not want to, but because she respects this peculiar philosophy of living for everything that happens, happens for a reason. That aside, "she's just a traveller" and travellers shouldn't get involved with things, especially if they are visitors. This is exactly what makes Kino's Journey so special.

To be honest, I'm a sucker for such shows and characters. They are oftentimes a lot better than story-centered works, because they give more space and freedom for commentary and personal thoughts, rather than forcing to cope with creator's original concepts on a very basic level. At the same time, such exposition gives more room for a wider audience. It's something a lot more people can watch, enjoy and understand without sacrificing or losing it's depth.

Edited by Narcosis