Spring 2018 Anime Discussion

Plk_Lesiak

So, this winter's Season of Fluff is ending and the spring Season of Sequels has begun! I have a bit of a problem with this one, as it mostly full of continuations of shows I haven't seen yet or ones I don't really care about anymore (looking at your HighschoolDxD...). So, what you guys are looking forward to? :)

I'm looking forward to more High School DxD *smiles evilly)

But seriously... this season looks to be a fairly boring one, overall.  Last season wasn't great, either... Grancrest is continuing, but I really wish they'd just continued Death March instead, because it was just starting to go somewhere other than in circles.

Two I'm expecting good things from are Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii and Piano no Mori. Both based off excellent manga, so my expectations are pretty high here. Hinamatsuri is also extremely well regarded (manga) but I could never get into it - Superpowered girl falls into the lap of Yakuza member who has to take care of her, hilarity ensues. Not really my sort of thing. Looking forward to the Persona 5 anime, but I've already played the game so I doubt it'd really interest me too much.

Two I'm curious about are Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori and Shiyan Pin Jiating. Seriously, mad scientist parents who genetically modified their children into "creatures" will either be hilarious fun, or so over-the-top and cliche that I'll find it boring. I'm wondering which it's going to be.

The rest are continuations. Amanchu is good if you're looking for an Aria substitute, but it isn't as good (and Aria is a good substitute for never getting a YKK anime, but it's also not as good ...) Full Metal Panic is going to be awesome going by the light novels, but unfortunately it's about the time it's going to get serious and I'll miss the light hearted humour. It's not so good when you wait a decade between anime seasons, you'll almost have to target an entirely new demographic which is hard when they likely haven't seen the original. 

Let's see, what else is there. Stuff. Things. Ew, Boruto. I STILL NEED TO WATCH RAKUGO!!! Oh yeah, Yowamushi Pedal. As a cycling fan I could never get into Yowamushi, it was awfully superficial and it continuously shattered my suspension of disbelief. I think I read in the manga or something how hill climbs were some kind of test of stamina or endurance or something stupid, and I immediately chucked my laptop out the window. Then I had to explain to the unjustifiably angry man on the street why he almost died via plummeting Toshiba. With the newest season apparently plumbing new depths of shittyness, I'm kinda smug for dropping it early. This is my smug face -> :3

Boku no hero academia looked promising from the start, then the 2nd season achieved more than it promised, and now i'm on the hype train for season 3. Other than that, there is also Steins gate that i'm obviously going to watch

Ok, let's resume what i've watched so far.

Legend of galactic heroes : the new thesis. Interesting, promising, the overall anime doesn't seem bad and it has, from what it looks, a rather strong plot.

Mahou Shoujo Site : How edgy is this anime? Yes. 

On 03/04/2018 at 1:50 PM, Kaguya said:

Best season for the Alice siscon show alone. 

Heh ...

6P4nhxQ.png 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Does anyone here wistfully look back at the conversations they enjoyed while waiting for trains to pass and think "I'm having so much fun right now I wish I could stay in this moment forever"? Well apparently you're not the only weirdo living among us because Fumikiri Jikan airs on the 10th. Based on the not very popular at all manga, this anime will showcase the boring conversations young women have as they wait at railroad crossings (because the "conversations" young men have usually involves a mean prank quickly followed by the terrified screams of the pranker as he gets hurled into the path of the train).

But seriously I'm a little curious. A boring premise doesn't always mean a boring show, and it'll be interesting to see how they handle it.

Steins;Gate 0's first episode was...quite frankly, if the show stays at this level of polish and interestingness, we may have a solid contender for anime of the year.

Spoiler

the PTSD scene where Kurisu explodes like a Pinâta and seeing multiple Kurisus exploding and Okabe being in blood...that one broke me.

And then Okabe taking drugs...

15 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Steins;Gate 0's first episode was...quite frankly, if the show stays at this level of polish and interestingness, we may have a solid contender for anime of the year.

Reveal hidden contents

the PTSD scene where Kurisu explodes like a Pinâta and seeing multiple Kurisus exploding and Okabe being in blood...that one broke me.

And then Okabe taking drugs...

Kurisu has taken Mayushis place in this new timeline?

Watched the first episode of Steins;Gate 0.

Oh come on, I just finished Muv-Luv 

I've had enough PTSD and hypnotherapy already 

:kosame:

Seriously though, to be honest I didn't have much faith in this adaptation, what with the change in director and stuff, but this pilot episode looks promising af, not gonna lie :isla:

4 hours ago, Neowarden said:

Kurisu has taken Mayushis place in this new timeline?

Spoiler

Basically, this is the story of the beta world line, where okabe, after returning in time and killing Kurisu, don't receive a message from future okabe, meaning, no Operation Skuld, and Okabe has to live with the guilt.

Before my 3.560 post, i will post my opinion on the 4 anime i've watched so far, this season, before starting my own blog on fuwa(Announcement, i'm making a fuwablog about anime reviews), so, let'sa go!

Weekly anime review : Spring 2018.

1-Legend of galactic heroes : die neue these : Kaikou (wow, the name is super hard and combines 3 different languages www)

Synopsis :  In humanity's distant future, two interstellar states—the monarchic Galactic Empire and the democratic Free Planets Alliance—are embroiled in a never-ending war. The story focuses on the exploits of rivals Reinhard von Müsel and Yang Wen Li as they rise to power and fame in the Galactic Empire and the Free Planets Alliance.

I'm not spoiling the plot, just giving a review, and it's a bit big so i don't want to post everything like that, so the actual review is in the spoiler section.

Spoiler

After 2 episodes, i'm convinced this anime, that seems to be legendary among the elitists, is actually quite a good anime, i expected japanese star wars, i got game of thrones : the characters seems interesting, deep and moraly greyed, from the proactive Reinhard to the rather calm and protective Yang Wen Li, both camps are treated in the same way, there is no good or bad camp, both are just military leaders that have different objectives and works for different empires.

Not only the story seems super interesting, the use of 2D animation and 3DCG for space battles make sense, giving life to beautifully crafted napoleonnic-era space ship formations (...yeh, they treat space ships like infantry in the novel), as well as the dialogues that seem to be rather interesting, albeit not that much. What else? my major drawback is Miyano Mamoru voicing the imperial leader (Reinhard)...as much as i love my Kira and my Mad/Sad scientist, i can't say he does a good job portraying that character so far.

The Kuu note : overall, i think this anime will be a great treat for people who expect something other than moe shit.

2-Captain Tsubasa (2018) Aka JoJo's Bizarre adventure: part football.

Synopsis : do i really need to say what is captain tsubasa about?

Spoiler

There's only one way to describe this anime : when a legendary football/Sports anime meets the JoJo crew, it gives us Captain Tsubasa 2018, it's simple, every single second, you'll say "Is this a JoJo reference?" or other well known quotes by 12 years old french girls.
Seriously tho, the mix between the ridiculousness of the manga and the ridiculousness of JoJo does work quite well in giving us maybe one of the best sports anime since a lot of year(Not hard when the latest thing was Yaoi on ice www)

Overall, we all know what to expect from the story, so at least, the JoJo elements helps to like it.

The Kuu note : overall, i will love this anime even if i hate football, because it is so ridiculous it can only be great.

3-Mahou Shoujo Site.

Synopsis : Aya Asagiri is your typical japanese schoolgirl type (typical if you read Emergence/Henshin), she wants to commit suicide every day, she is bullied to the brim by her entire school, she serves as a punching ball for her own brother, and her parents doesn't care at all (Wow, typical japanese schoolgirls have changed a lot), but everything changes when she discovers a website called MagicalGirlDotSite, a website, probably written with wordpress, that has Frieza's voice actors to give super magical powers to broken japanese school girls, and from that, the beginning of edgelord : the magical girl show starts.

Spoiler

Well well well, we have two different opinions here, either the author is a sadistic piece of shit who wants to torture poor anime girls, or he was bullied as a child...i'd say the former rather than the proper.

The bullying in the first episode is, obviously, totally exagerated for the sake of exageration, but while it is exagerated, it is still a bit grounded to reality, yes, it is well known that bullying in Japan can get quite...harsh and extreme, and the rate of suicide/hikikomori might explain it quite well, it is still ridiculously exagerated, but still.

Now, the artstyle is good, nothing stunning, but at least it doesn't look like a moe crap show like death march's 2D and the recent high school DxD season, so there is that, the story seems to be rather simple and uninteresting : Aya gets bullied to the point she gets her chance for revenge, and then the magical girl's battleground starts...i'm pretty sure it is a battle royale anime...But still, i find it rather interesting, cause the voice acting is great and the pacing seems rather good.

The Kuu's Note : it is not Madoka Magica, and it will never be, i treat it as a cathartic anime rather than the next evangelion, which is fine, frankly i am liking Mahou Shoujo Site.

4-Steins;Gate 0 : Steins;Gate Zero.

Synopsis : In the worldline where he couldn't save her, Okabe Rintarou discovers what it means to murder your own waifu, after failing to save Makise Kurisu, he abandons everything he liked : his excentric persona, his laboratory, his otaku culture, and instead discovered the great world of ADULTS : aka it is depressing as fuck, but as the prophetized world war 3 is approaching, his meeting with a particular group of people will mark the start of a whole new adventure.

Spoiler

IT IS THE BEST ANIME I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE IT IS THE BEST ANIME I HAVE SEEN IN MY LIFE IT IS THE BEST ANIME I HAVE SEEN IN MY LIFE IT IS THE BEST ANIME I HAVE SEEN IN MY LIFE.

Ahem...seriously tho, damn, i expected nothing from based Whitefox, and they fucking delivered, the first episode of steins;gate 0 was amazing, everything with it was good : the pacing, the story, the musics, the friggin artstyle...
The sad scientist was portrayed in a way more effective manner than in the VN, and overall, the anime prologue is way, way better than the VN prologue...I don't have much to say, i liked every bits of it, the way they title drop at the ending, hearing the VN's osts at moments, Miyano Mamoru's performance as the sad scientist, the faces, the faces, the faces Suzuha, Mayuri, Okabe...etc everyone does amazing faces, and while Faris-chan is still annoying and uninteresting, at least they didn't fuck up the other characters.

The music is amazing, like really amazing, excellent flavour, good leitmotiv...etc

The artstyle is, in my opinion, better than the VN, while staying true to Huke's cold atmosphere, they managed to make some of the adultest artstyle of 2018's spring anime, and man, the characters are not only gorgeous...the also have...eh...big racks? i mean wow, never knew Mayuri was BICC and Suzuha was THICC.

The story so far is excellent, it does a great way of showing the desperation of the sad scientist, not only that, but also how OFF he is with the universe : while Faris, Rukako and Mayuri seem to live quite happy lives, he struggles to keep his shit in place, by taking medications, hypnotherapies, by going to normie places...but his mind is still clouded, shrouded by what he did, he still can't cope by the worst crime committed by his hands.

One point tho, Hiyajo Maho seems to have been a bit changed, in the VN, she appears more to be nonchalant and not caring of stuff, here, she seems like...a Tsundere...We'll see how they manage Maho in the anime, but it would be a shame if they change her from her VN apparition.

The Kuu Note : This may be the best VN adaptation of all time, and this has the potential of being one of the greatest anime of all time if they keep the stuff as good as in the first episode.

I was looking forward 1st episode of the 3rd season of Boku no Hero Academia, but obviously, it would just be a flashback episode =_=;;; (luckily the 2nd episode just came out yesterday)

Other than that, I really don't care for anything else. Violet Evergarden kind of shattered my heart with the way it ended the last episode (Why?! Why do you Japanese love your wabi-sabi aesthetic?! Is it too much to ask for a happy ending?!) so I'm still reeling and rewatching episodes of Polar Bear Cafe. 

Not a new anime but I tried to watch Re:Zero on Friday to understand what all the hype was all about and gave up around episode 8. Did not enjoy the whole die-redo the last episode again feel and felt like the plot went nowhere (duh).

Edited by milkteebaby

54 minutes ago, milkteebaby said:

Not a new anime but I tried to watch Re:Zero on Friday to understand what all the hype was all about and gave up around episode 8. Did not enjoy the whole die-redo the last episode again feel and felt like the plot went nowhere (duh).

I know it's kinda lame to say "just wait some more" when you've already watched 8 episodes, way past the 3 episode rule as it were... but I'll say it anyway. Watch at least the 15 first episodes, and if by that time you are not thrilled, then definitely drop it. That's my suggestion anyway :sachi:

SG;0 looks great so far as everyone else has said. Oh thank god for more FMP as well - I've so missed it. Happy to have more shokugeki too; time for that to finally move forward with the plot. I actually didn't mind the new SAO either, though from history I know it'll be awesome for a while and then turn into a steaming pile of shit by the end of the series.

14 hours ago, Thyndd said:

I know it's kinda lame to say "just wait some more" when you've already watched 8 episodes, way past the 3 episode rule as it were... but I'll say it anyway. Watch at least the 15 first episodes, and if by that time you are not thrilled, then definitely drop it. That's my suggestion anyway :sachi:

Re;Zero is definitely a good experience to ride, while not being the best White Fox anime, it's still a nice ride to take.

The hype for it was clearely way over its actual quality, and the author of Re;Zero is the greatest scum on earth, and if not for White Fox's genuinery, this anime would've been doomed.