Thoughts on the current Yuzusoft

phantomJS

I just read through this review by Clephas. As a Yuzusoft fanboy, having played through Riiddle Joker's trail and agreeing with most of what the review said, got me thinking about Yuzusoft current position and situation.

Personally, I thought that perhaps Yuzusoft needs to change things up pretty soon as their titles are starting to become stale. Almost all of their games have u as a high-school aged boy chasing after similarly aged girls. Also, Riddle Joker gives off serious Dracu-Riot vibes to me. Seems to be a sign that Yuzusoft are running out of ideas.

Saw the game on Michi's blog previously when it was just announced, and without bothering to check through the story thoroughly, I actually thought the protagonist is going to infiltrate a organisation as a superpowered-undercover agent along with some female colleagues, and will get entangled with heroines which are within the organisation. I think that would have made a far more interesting premises for the game instead and would had been a great change of pace that was sorely needed (or perhaps they can make a reverse situation of Amairo Islenauts and instead of a adult guy chasing after school girls, you can be a school boy chasing adult teachers. Personally I would love to do so on teachers drawn in their gorgeous artwork :nokia:)

I'm just curious; what do you guys think of the current state of Yuzusoft and their VNs?

Edited by phantomJS

Mmm... it feels more to me like their writers and producers are running out of ideas.  Ayase's route proves they can still do the serious stuff reasonably well, and so I would like to see them do another chuunige, since I enjoyed ExE at the time.  I would also like to see shorter and smaller numbers of h-scenes, lol.

cant really say, sadly. read only 2 of them and one i had to drop and one im looking forward to being fully released, dracu-riot. i like their sprite style of animation. its not like smooth animation but it still does a great job with conveying the expressions of the characters. one of my favorite methods of sprite animation.

5 hours ago, Norleas said:

Yuzusoft could do any shit that they want and they will still be top sellers, so they will be sticking with the fantasy charage formula, even though it is already saturated and losing quality.

Charage in general are at saturation levels... the real problem is that they've been reduced to rehashing the same ideas with 'new twists'.  That's never a good sign for any company.

6 hours ago, Norleas said:

Yuzusoft could do any shit that they want and they will still be top sellers, so they will be sticking with the fantasy charage formula, even though it is already saturated and losing quality.

Someone at VNDB said Yuzusoft is currently the top seller of VN in JP (wow...). Is this true? O.O...

5 hours ago, Clephas said:

Charage in general are at saturation levels... the real problem is that they've been reduced to rehashing the same ideas with 'new twists'.  That's never a good sign for any company.

I dare to say that visual novels regardless of sub genre are saturated, it's been a while since the last time that i looked into a new release and see something "new", the medium need fresh air, but how? I dunno.

4 hours ago, phantomJS said:

Someone at VNDB said Yuzusoft is currently the top seller of VN in JP (wow...). Is this true? O.O...

I don't know exactly the numbers and rankings, but if that is true, it's not a surprise to me. All Yuzusoft games hit top 1 in the charts when released, Senren Banka for example, sold 45000 copies in the first month out, in 2016, only August have another title with that numbers. Other point is that they always have consistent sales, even big companies most of the time have a considerable fluctuation from one title to another, but to Yuzusoft that value is always something like 10%. So they are consistent, popular and have a loyal fan base, the perfect recipe to fabricate best sellers.

Edited by Norleas

22 minutes ago, Norleas said:

I dare to say that visual novels regardless of sub genre are saturated, it's been a while since the last time that i looked into a new release and see something "new", the medium need fresh air, but how? I dunno.

I don't know exactly the numbers and rankings, but if that is true, it's not a surprise to me. All Yuzusoft games hit top 1 in the charts when released, Senren Banka for example, sold 45000 copies in the first month out, in 2016, only August have another title with that numbers that year. Other point is that they always have consistent sales, even big companies most of the time have a considerable fluctuation from one title to another, but to Yuzusoft that value is always something like 10%. So they are consistent, popular and have a loyal fan base, the perfect recipe to fabricate best sellers.

That wouldn't surprise me, either... Yuzusoft's stuff generally reliably reaches a certain level of quality...

Edit: To clarify, I've seen far worse VNs out there than Riddle Joker... but at the same time, it really isn't up to Yuzusoft's own standards.  It has all the separate elements that make Yuzusoft VNs interesting, but it just isn't as good as most of the previous games by the company.

3 hours ago, Norleas said:

I don't know exactly the numbers and rankings, but if that is true, it's not a surprise to me. All Yuzusoft games hit top 1 in the charts when released, Senren Banka for example, sold 45000 copies in the first month out, in 2016, only August have another title with that numbers that year. Other point is that they always have consistent sales, even big companies most of the time have a considerable fluctuation from one title to another, but to Yuzusoft that value is always something like 10%. So they are consistent, popular and have a loyal fan base, the perfect recipe to fabricate best sellers.

Guess this means they won't be changing things up anytime soon unless they are forced to (for example, if sales starts slowing down if they keep churing out the same stuff). It's a business after all.

As a big fan of theirs, I hope this doesn't signal the beginning of a decline of Yuzusoft :(...

4 minutes ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

The same could be said of almost all moege?

Besides the point. Point is things in their title are starting to be abit stale (at least to me). Should probably try to change things up a bit

And isn't their titles more charage than moege?

5 hours ago, phantomJS said:

Guess this means they won't be changing things up anytime soon unless they are forced to (for example, if sales starts slowing down if they keep churing out the same stuff). It's a business after all.

As a big fan of theirs, I hope this doesn't signal the beginning of a decline of Yuzusoft :(...

Speaking from experience with other companies, you'll see a much more drastic fall in quality than this before a company seriously begins to decline.  Tokyo Babel's emergence after Evolimit is often remarked upon as a last effort to squeeze the writer before his contract ended, which is probably why the human drama and humor isn't as good as the earlier games by that writer.

Yuzusoft, unlike most companies that put out large games, gets enough back from raw sales to justify regular releases.   As a result, they are more likely to take fan reactions seriously when they release the next game.  Why?  Because financially healthy companies are more likely to pay attention when something looks to present a threat to the future health of the company.  Because Yuzusoft has, in the past, avoided excessive patterning in its stories (even if the H and ichaicha is patterned down to the last detail), they've always had a higher retention rate than many other charage companies (you can usually depend on seven or eight new charage companies popping up then dying after a single release each year).  They have a definite 'style', but if you look at their past releases, they've avoided essentially writing the same game over and over.  Classic charage, fantasy charage, chuunige, ojousama-ge... they are a lot more flexible than the industry standard.  For that reason, I think they are likely to bounce back.  I think Riddle Joker is a fluke (or at least I hope it is).

Companies that are more likely to die out are the ones that are over-focused on a single niche market (my beloved chuunige companies, for instance) or who have abandoned that flexibility.  Of course, there are exceptions like AXL, which will probably be still making VNs in a similar style until their artist and writers have all retired, lol.

Yuzusoft games tend to bore me, i always have the impression that i'm reading filler after filler... I dropped dracu-riot and Sanoba witch for those reasons and i don't plan to play any game from them anymore.

Sure production is high quality, but those games are way too long and pretty bland for what they are IMO.

And yes, they seems to sell very well, they are at the top of getchu yearly ranking. I don't see them decline anytime soon.

8 hours ago, Tweek91330 said:

Yuzusoft games tend to bore me, i always have the impression that i'm reading filler after filler... I dropped dracu-riot and Sanoba witch for those reasons and i don't plan to play any game from them anymore.

Sure production is high quality, but those games are way too long and pretty bland for what they are IMO.

And yes, they seems to sell very well, they are at the top of getchu yearly ranking. I don't see them decline anytime soon.

I went to getchu's site to check their records. From 2012's Dracu-Riot all the way to 2016's Senren-Banka, they had the best-selling VN outisde of losing 2012 and 2013. Wow O.O.....

2012 Getchu Sales Chart

2013 Getchu Sales Chart

2015 Getchu Sales Chart

2016 Getchu Sales Chart

Impressive, to say the least...

Guess, like everyone here had said, we shouldn't expect big changes from Yuzusoft anytime soon...

Btw does anyone knows how Riddle Joker is selling? Just curious to know ^_^

Edited by phantomJS

I don't really know, you can check on getchu too.

For february : http://www.getchu.com/pc/salesranking201802.html

For march : http://www.getchu.com/pc/salesranking201803.html

I actually think that rance is still first so far. But Riddle Joker must be the 2nd best seller.

Edit : Also, pretty unrelated to the thread, but i heard good things from the last ASA Project.

Edited by Tweek91330