Cross Channel Released

Silvz

7 minutes ago, Silvz said:

store.steampowered.com/app/812560/CROSSCHANNEL_Steam_Edition/

And it is VERY cheap. For those who've already tried it, how is this Moenovel version going? Any major issues until now?

According to these reviews, anyone considering buying it should expect the usual Moenovel shit, lol

Edited by phantomJS

10 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

And most of them are still positive, even when people are literally saying that the translation is unsatisfying, or even in case where they didn't understand anything at all. :amane: Logic...

Well many in the steam crowd are content with VNs in any condition as long as the original was good and there a good things in the VN. My gues is that it would still be positive if they just randomly deleted 75% of the VN at random parts and had many errors with the sound as well as having the entire thing be translated using google translate. Some people seem to be glad to get something originally considered good, without caring at all about the state of the release.

36 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

And most of them are still positive, even when people are literally saying that the translation is unsatisfying, or even in case where they didn't understand anything at all. :amane: Logic...

It's the same thing for Shitnovel's IMHHW release

A lot of posts in the recently released new english patch here criticised steam buyers. I guess they were right.

I don't understand how can anyone be satisfied with a butchered translation of a Visual Novel when it's the single most important thing (much like a regular novel). Makes me wanna ask them: 'would you be happy with a butched translated novel / novel with butched english purchase?'  :mellow:....

19 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

It's the same thing for Shitnovel's IMHHW release

A lot of posts in the recently released new english patch here criticised steam buyers. I guess they were right.

I don't understand how can anyone be satisfied with a butchered translation of a Visual Novel when it's the single most important thing (much like a regular novel). Makes me wanna ask them: 'would you be happy with a butched translated novel / novel with butched english purchase?'  :mellow:....

It's quite simple. You read something, and if you enjoy it, that's a good thing and you leave a good review. I enjoyed it for X and Y reasons.
If you aren't even deep into the VN scene or if you aren't very familiar with the language you read in you might not even realise it's a subpar translation.

It's like this. A bad product/aspects of a product condition(s) your enjoyment of it, but what actually matters to consumers of entertainment that aren't too deep into a series/genre/medium is their own enjoyment. And you can enjoy things that have been lazily and sloppily made. To a lot of people, external factors like who made it or how they went about it or if they're using slave labour don't matter much. Or they don't bother informing themselves about it, which is also valid.

5 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

Wow, it really IS cheap as fuck (close to the price of a single Higurashi chapter here, about a couple cups of coffee's worth).

Woah. Either your well placed in Steam's pricing scheme or that's some exceedingly luxurious coffee you drink.

It is cheap, relatively speaking, however.

24 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

It's quite simple. You read something, and if you enjoy it, that's a good thing and you leave a good review. I enjoyed it for X and Y reasons.
If you aren't even deep into the VN scene or if you aren't very familiar with the language you read in you might not even realise it's a subpar translation.

It's like this. A bad product/aspects of a product condition(s) your enjoyment of it, but what actually matters to consumers of entertainment that aren't too deep into a series/genre/medium is their own enjoyment. And you can enjoy things that have been lazily and sloppily made. To a lot of people, external factors like who made it or how they went about it or if they're using slave labour don't matter much. Or they don't bother informing themselves about it, which is also valid.

In other words; to each his own?

Guess it's true, although it's very difficult for me to empathise and i feel it's weird to catalogise this situation this way. There should be people with all sorts of different taste, characters, and likes (including people 'who are deeping into the VN scene') in steam and everywhere, yet there's an overwhelmingly positive response to Moenovel's crap and vice-versa-ly bad response everywhere else. Using your analogy, it's like saying steam users consists mainly of 1 type of people, and the rest are congregated elsewhere. I find it kinda weird...

Edited by phantomJS

Just now, phantomJS said:

In other words; to each his own?

Guess it's true, although it's very difficult for me to empathise and i feel it's weird to catalogise this situation this way. There should be people with all sorts of different taste, characters, and likes (including people 'who are deeping into the VN scene') in steam and everywhere, yet there's an overwhelmingly positive response to Moenovel's crap and vice-versa-ly bad response everywhere else. Using your analogy, it's like saying steam users consists mainly of 1 type of people, and there rest and congregated elsewhere. I find it kinda weird...

I don't think other VNs have a bad response. They just have a smaller response.

IMHHW is cheap, so it gets a lot of people to play it, so there's more people to respond. Steam users only invest the monnies on things they actually care about. Most steam reviews aren't quite written by the hardcore VN fans.

5 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Woah. Either your well placed in Steam's pricing scheme or that's some exceedingly luxurious coffee you drink.

It is cheap, relatively speaking, however.

Here it sells at about $4. I know some places where you won't even have money for a second cup for that much money. :sacchan:

17 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I don't think other VNs have a bad response. They just have a smaller response.

IMHHW is cheap, so it gets a lot of people to play it, so there's more people to respond. Steam users only invest the monnies on things they actually care about. Most steam reviews aren't quite written by the hardcore VN fans.

I dun mean reviews inside steam with other VNs. I mean on steam vs everywhere else on the internet with Moenovel's IMHHW.

Whether steam reviews are written by hardcore VN fans or not isn't the main point. The point is why are there so many users who tolerated the rubbish translation when more bad reviews should had be written, especially given steam's massive user base?

Edited by phantomJS

1 minute ago, phantomJS said:

I dun mean elsewhere in steam. I mean everywhere else on the internet.

Whether steam reviews are written by hardcore VN fans or not isn't the main point. The point is why are there so many users who tolerated the rubbish translation when more bad reviews should had be written, especially given steam's massive user base?

People who, outside of steam, go out of their way to write VN reviews are probably into VNs, and likely will dislike it as a result.

Most people on Steam just happen to stumble onto a cheap VN with cute anime girls. They enjoy it, and that's that.

How do I put this... Most people who actually care about that kind of stuff don't go and buy censored VNs on steam just to leave a bad review. Most people who do buy this stuff on steam just don't care. They're part of a casual userbase, I dunno. Why don't they care? Because they enjoyed it and don't know it could be better? Or maybe they do know it could be better but enjoyed it anyways? Why? I don't know. I'm not psychic.
The fact is that there are a lot of positive reviews on Steam, and I'm just hypothesising why that might be.

15 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Large latte in a Starbucks in my city costs 3,5-4 dollars. Seems pretty accurate. :P

Over here everybody drinks coffee after their meals. Coffee is also drunk several times a day, but I suspect this might be different than what most people are picturing? I don't know how coffee is in other cultures.

Spoiler

We drink several of these a day.

ib3uBYI.jpg

I say 'we', but I actually don't so I don't know what the going price is, but it's certainly less than or around 2,5 euros.

2 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

People who, outside of steam, go out of their way to write VN reviews are probably into VNs, and likely will dislike it as a result.

Most people on Steam just happen to stumble onto a cheap VN with cute anime girls. They enjoy it, and that's that.

How do I put this... Most people who actually care about that kind of stuff don't go and buy censored VNs on steam just to leave a bad review. Most people who do buy this stuff on steam just don't care. They're part of a casual userbase, I dunno. Why don't they care? Because they enjoyed it and don't know it could be better? Or maybe they do know it could be better but enjoyed it anyways? Why? I don't know. I'm not psychic.
The fact is that there are a lot of positive reviews on Steam, and I'm just hypothesising why that might be.

Don't really buy your explanation, but nvm lolz.

Guess perhaps, there's something off with steam users after all :sleep:

1 hour ago, phantomJS said:

Don't really buy your explanation, but nvm lolz.

Guess perhaps, there's something off with steam users after all :sleep:

Saying something's wrong with "Steam users" is pretty much saying something's wrong with humanity. Because, really, who's not on Steam if they play video games?

And well, there's a lot wrong with people in general, I just mean that it's most likely us, the VN snobs, that have an unusual perspective. :P

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Over here everybody drinks coffee after their meals. Coffee is also drunk several times a day, but I suspect this might be different than what most people are picturing? I don't know how coffee is in other cultures.

I don't think Poland had a strong culture of drinking coffee (especially coffee of any kind of decent quality), but in later years franchise coffeehouses, such as Starbucks or Costa became incredibly popular. I spend more money on takeaway coffee than I do most other things nowadays - mostly latte, those are usually so huge that you can sip them for an hour or two and get a steady stream of caffeine. :]

Spoiler

latte.jpg

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

30 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Saying something's wrong with "Steam users" is pretty much saying something's wrong with humanity. Because, really, who's not on Steam if they play video games?

And well, there's a lot wrong with people in general, I just mean that it's most likely us, the VN snobs, that have an unusual perspective. :P

I meant what I said literally; something 'off', not 'wrong'. I think 'wrong' is a far stronger word. I also don't really meant that seriously :sleep:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but fundamentally, words are the single most important thing in any worded-media such ans VNs, novels and newspaper, and as such, any such media with butched meaning in them (such as Moenovel's IMHHW which is MTL-like level of bad) shouldn't have such a high level of enjoyment among the majority, which is what Movenovel's crap currently and apparently enjoy according to steam's reviews. Point isn't how can anyone enjoy such terribly worded-media (Mr Poltoon already gave an answer to this; to each his own), but rather how can so many people enjoy it on a platform which has a massive user base and thus should be far more diversified in opinions?

By the way, your usage of 'humanity' in your post implies 'entirety'. There are other places, such as GOG and origins, if you seriously want to be steam-free.

Since you butted in, I'm curious; care to let us know what's your take on the discussion Mr Poltroon and me had?:P

Also, am I high-jacking the thread? If so, i'm sorry and will stop immediately:(...

Edited by phantomJS

56 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

By the way, your usage of 'humanity' in your post implies 'entirety'. There are other places, such as GOG and origins, if you seriously want to be steam-free.

The point is, someone really has to go out of his way to avoid Steam as a gamer. It's not important that it's avoidable, the point is that an average (western) gamer will also be a Steam user, with exceptions being pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. :)

56 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

Since you butted in, I'm curious; care to let us know what's your take on the discussion Mr Poltroon and me had?:P

Also, am I high-jacking the thread? If so, i'm sorry and will stop immediately:(...

Well, less than the coffee discussion between me and Mr Poltroon. :P And we're still on the general topic of Moenovel and Cross Channel. :) I don't think I have much to add from my previous posts on the topic, but I think one more problem with Steam reviews is lack of neutral option - if you rate a game as not-recommended, you reject it as not worth playing, not just criticize some aspects of it. Just as Poltroon said, most people will see translation quality as just one aspect of VN they read and give different weight to it - as long as they enjoy what they've got, they won't be bothered by the hypothetical product they could've received in a perfect world (that's how I often feel, especially because I don't like hentai and I'm happy with having access to all-ages versions that many people despise). Coming from their personal enjoyment, they won't bash the game just because it "could've been even better". And they especially won't try to convince others that it's not worth their time.

5 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

Well many in the steam crowd are content with VNs in any condition as long as the original was good and there a good things in the VN. My gues is that it would still be positive if they just randomly deleted 75% of the VN at random parts and had many errors with the sound as well as having the entire thing be translated using google translate. Some people seem to be glad to get something originally considered good, without caring at all about the state of the release.

Personally I doubt Steam players won't notice and be happy if 75% of VN being randomly deleted ;). I imagined they think like "OMG, it was said 50 hours of gameplay, but we can finished it in 15 hours, WTF happening???" But maybe that's just me because I like to read about VN description. I see many reviews on Steam for certain VN about translations quality. Maybe because the translations was too horrible. 

Edited by Acrylic7

Even though many people might just enjoy the "cute girls" or whatever, it's still probably worth telling people that what they're reading is an inferior translation. Hell, the cute girls audience is probably going to go for the Sakura titles on steam, not Cross Channel of all things.  The people reading this steam version probably are interested in the story to some extent, otherwise they would be playing nekopara, sakura, a dating sim, or some other moe thing.  And since they're interested in the story, naturally the poor translation is going to effect their opinion of the VN. Yea, I don't see this as being beneficial to the VN world in any way.

Edited by PiggiesGoMoo