does anyone know how to buy japanese vns

29 minutes ago, Justanotherguy said:

i want to get a sky full of stars fine days and if my heart had wings flight diary, but i cant find anywhere to buy them at. i tried to get them from pulltop but they only ship to japan. if anyone knows of another store that sells them and could tell me that would be great. thanks zach

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1062274459&ref=dos

Thats A sky full of stars on the japanese version of the site, you can switch it to english.

Edited by xGreyHound

4 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

Because they won't ship 18+ games to addresses outside of Japan.  You have it shipped to a reshipper in Japan, who then ships it to you.

It really bothers me how xenophobic Japanese companies are. Living in Japan, I always buy my VNs in person or online here. But honestly, since they clearly are not accommodating to foreign business. For people not living in Japan, I see nothing wrong with pirating Japanese VNs if there isn't a reasonable way to buy them. 

5 hours ago, Justanotherguy said:

i want to get a sky full of stars fine days and if my heart had wings flight diary, but i cant find anywhere to buy them at. i tried to get them from pulltop but they only ship to japan. if anyone knows of another store that sells them and could tell me that would be great. thanks zach

Go for download versions... if you use a VPN, you can order from Getchu's dl portion and you can use dlsite without one.  Physical versions... require a lot of roundabout efforts and are risky if you live in the wrong country. 

The Reddit VN buying guide is pretty thorough when it comes to listing all the options available: https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/wiki/buy

Personally, I usually use either Mandarake or Amazon.co.jp + Tenso.

Edit: actually, I forgot an important option. Usually I just buy them digitally from dmm or dlsite, nowadays.

Edited by Fred the Barber

5 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Usually I just buy them digitally from dmm or dlsite, nowadays

Which is better to buy it from? I'm planning to buy "Ohimesama datte XXX Shitai" and I want to support the developer. Which would be the better site to buy it from?

Edited by Kaito1

15 hours ago, Kaito1 said:

Which is better to buy it from? I'm planning to buy "Ohimesama datte XXX Shitai" and I want to support the developer. Which would be the better site to buy it from?

I don't know if either is better than the other from that perspective, sorry.

FWIW, if your goal is to support the developer, then to be consistent with that, make sure you avoid used good stores like Mandarake, since obviously the developer doesn't get any cut of used game sales.

58 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I don't know if either is better than the other from that perspective, sorry.

FWIW, if your goal is to support the developer, then to be consistent with that, make sure you avoid used good stores like Mandarake, since obviously the developer doesn't get any cut of used game sales.

I'm planning to buy the digital version, so buying it from a used good store like Mandarake is out of the question. I guess I will buy it from dlsite since I have an account with them.

Edited by Kaito1

I try to buy it as a download as much as possible, but some publishers only offer it as a DVD box set. The box sets are always overwhelmingly large and it gets hard to find a place to store it when you buy so many of them.

Some shops offer select Japanese VNs on the US amazon website. It won't show up if you use the standard search engine so you have to play around with keywords using the Google search engine.

The question is whether you're aiming for physical versions or digital downloads. Now, the former are more or less a hassle, but digital downloads are easy to obtain. Just use one of the major retailers, like Getchu, DMM or DLSite. That's what I do in case of digital downloads.

On 3/31/2018 at 11:22 PM, Zalor said:

It really bothers me how xenophobic Japanese companies are. Living in Japan, I always buy my VNs in person or online here. But honestly, since they clearly are not accommodating to foreign business. For people not living in Japan, I see nothing wrong with pirating Japanese VNs if there isn't a reasonable way to buy them. 

^

PS:Have you always lived in Japan or did you move there?

5 hours ago, xGreyHound said:

^

PS:Have you always lived in Japan or did you move there?

I moved here (right now its temporary though). The Japanese University I am studying at (Waseda) has a double degree program with my home college. Since I plan on permanently moving here, I decided to do that program since having a degree from a Japanese Uni would make it easier to get a job here that isn't English teaching.

6 hours ago, Zalor said:

I moved here (right now its temporary though). The Japanese University I am studying at (Waseda) has a double degree program with my home college. Since I plan on permanently moving here, I decided to do that program since having a degree from a Japanese Uni would make it easier to get a job here that isn't English teaching.

How hard is it to move to Japan? I’m thinking about doing the same. And what are you majoring in?

On 4/5/2018 at 9:17 PM, xGreyHound said:

How hard is it to move to Japan? I’m thinking about doing the same. And what are you majoring in?

Hmm, that really depends on your background and circumstances. Actually, I'm just going to send you a pm so as not to derail this thread too much.